The Haitian Army: Haiti's loss or gain?

T-dodo

The Haitian Army: Haiti's loss or gain?

Post by T-dodo » Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:19 pm

[quote]Gains such as the disbanding of the CIA's army in Haiti were not Aristide's. These gains were ours as a nation. And the MRE who lost this CIA's army in Haiti was smart enough to understand that by presenting the army as Aristide's ennemy - not that of the nation, they could regain their favorite and most reliable shield....which they have almost accmplished... because our middle class has no MEMORY. We soon forget. We forget 1915, so it comes back in 2004 to haunt us.
[/quote]

Jaf,

I have mixed feelings about the disbanding of the army. On one hand, the army had become an obstacle to political progress in Haiti, and perhaps, economical progress as well. They had to be neutralized. On the other hand, since the army was the only tool of defense of the country we had, by eliminating it did we expose ourselves to the point that we became defensele
ss to foreign countries' attacks, such as the Dominican Republic?

Although I don't know the answer to that, and I am not even sure of the history of it either, I feel that there must have been a better way to neutralize the army, by making it perhaps apolitical, without destroying the defense of the country. Now, don't get me wrong! The only countries or people our army could impress were our elected democratic presidents. I have been to the Dominican Republic many times. My guess is that it would take them days to overrun our army - even during their best time - in case of conflict between Haiti and the Dominican Republic.

To me, the major reason they did not try to make us pay for Boyer's occupation of them in the 19th century after the army was dissolved was fear of international opinion, cost of the effort and no tangible economic reward for doing it. We were and continue to be vulnerable. In general, vulnerability is an invitation for aggression.

So, while this was an accom
plishment by President Aristide's administration, I have questions as to whether the country, particularly our legislators, took time to think this through and made sure it was done right. Perhaps, President Aristide overreacted in dong so by doing it without providing an alternative for the defense of the country.