Will Brothers/Wilkenson... on Winds of Desire

Empress Verite

Will Brothers/Wilkenson... on Winds of Desire

Post by Empress Verite » Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:36 pm

Sak Pase? Map Boule piti piti!

I loved that film! The first Haitian American English bebop kinda flick. It's a Blacklequin or a Black Harlequin Romance on the big screen. It portrays Haitian americans in Miami or South Florida living it up in the height of luxury and priviledge. It was real nice to see them portrayed because I don't get to mingle with them in my corner of Miami! This was a different depiction than what we see on the news media or in films like Bad Boys. Bad boys had some kilti or Kultur when it portrayed the Haitians zo pounders calling out in a conch shell to gather for the downtaken of another gangstere (female) under cover agent (Gabrielle Union). The characters were as real as I have experienced them. The women were all medical student interns who were struggling for power and love. The leading man was a lawyer. I believe that in real life he is a doctor. This man is a
prominent member of the South Florida Haitian community and I think that he founded Radyo Kanaval.

All of the characters portrayed were actractive people who were shown exercising and partying or doing other social activities. One of the best parts was how the homes were depicted. They had a character all of their own. They were big huge estates and they were new and well kept. In fact, the leading lady lived with here parents who spoke to her in French and had a maid! ( a Haitian maid!)

That part of the movie reminded me of Waiting To exhale and how the homes and the physical landscape of Arizona and the South West were marketed through that film. Needless to say that it was a good product placement for the real estate market in the South West Florida area. Everywhere you look homes and appartments are being erected or build. And they are attracting a North East population. The ecology of the space as it was depicted also warrents some comments. There were green trees and clean structures and
streets throughout the movie and of course our beautiful beaches and oceans. It looked as attractive as a tourist brochure for the Caribbean islands. All of the things that one can do and enjoy if one has money in South Florida.

The story that was in the middle of all of this was alright too. We're all familar with the treachury of a love triangle. We know how some Haitian men have a hard time being faithful and how "hell hath no fury like a woman scourned". This is the basic plot plus some friends who will do anything for money including the destruction of a best friend's life and love. We also see the identity issue discussed or depicted with one character who is half and half. She is half Haitian and something else (another black ethnic) and she has strong views about Haitians and how we should behave. She blames our misbehavior for her reluctance in telling people about her half Haitian parentage. In fact, she seems ashamed by it to some degree. This is until she finds love in the arm of a rel
igious Haitian professional. He has soul, class, colour capital (medium brown with wavy hair) and he is a professional (White color). This character is the moral back of everyone in the film. He played his part well and I hope that he gets more roles.

Finally, this was a medium budget film and it was well done. It will be a great tv series ala Dynasty or Falcon Crest or their Spinoffs even DAllas and its spinoffs. I found it entertaining and I enjoyed it a great deal. There were no portrayals of Little Haiti or working class Haitians except for the maid who dressed very casually with a halter top (if my memory serves me right) (is this why they have such high rates of sexual abuse in Haitian homes?) That was really prejudice and I take issue with that especially since that would probably be frowned upon by the Madame.

Lastly, one of the best parts of the movie was the trip to Ayiti. We travelled with the leading man and his mistress to the nation state. We toured the streests of the country
and saw beautiful and dated architecture and we had a display of Haitian culture and traditional life. We saw the well known 8th or 9th wonder of the World and it was a wonderful background for a treacherous act-infidelity. It was telling and significant because this is acceptable in Haitian society even though it hurts but the women learn to live with it.

So much money, abundance of talent, beauty and too bad my kind of Haitian was not even seen. We were absent. In Ayiti there was a fight in a bar and I believe that symbolized that when you are doing wrong you will be wronged and you'll find yourself at the wrong place at the wrong time all of the times.

I look forward to the next film and for the portrayals to expand the landscape of Haitian identity in Haitian American cinema.