Anybody noticed there was an inauguration today?

Barb

Anybody noticed there was an inauguration today?

Post by Barb » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:47 pm

I'm looking over the posts on Windows on Haiti today to see reactions to Barak Obama's Inauguration. Much to my surprise there is nothing, nada, no mention of the event.

Has the market already discounted it and we have moved on to other things?

I was very moved. I thought his speech was wonderful. My 5th grade students watched the speech quietly and only commented that the woman who had marched on Washington in the 60's and was back to see the swearing in was "crazy" because she got so emotional. I got pretty emotional as well. It was an amazing day, and I hope we can go on as we have begun.

Guysanto
Site Admin

Post by Guysanto » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:20 pm

Barb, I can't speak for the others but as for me... I watched it all day and could not write until now because I am still watching, in fact. I just saw the President and the First Lady's first dance at the Neighborhood Ball, the first of the 10 inauguration balls they will participate in tonight. Not only they danced together but it was funny to see Mr. President dance with so many ladies all around him, probably giving them a thrill they will remember for the rest of their lives.

Yes, it was a very emotional moment, and Leonel Jean-Baptiste and I were cheering! I got to his house by 8:00 am and we watched the whole thing. Now that I got home, I will be watching whatever I can get from the evening's festivities. I thought THE speech was excellent too. Not as rousing as I expected, but that's only because Obama chose to focus less on oratorical prowess and more on delivering the message he wanted everyone to get: that we ALL share in the responsibility of meeting the challenges that he faces as President, that we ALL face as a nation. I believe that he set the right tone. We've all heard that this economic recession is going to get worse before it gets better. Obama inherited an extraordinary mess from the Bush presidency. I hope that people will remember this and realize that as great as Obama may be as a leader, it's going to take all serious Americans to get out of this hole that Bush and Co. dug us into. We have to clean up the Ponzi schemes, Wall Street's infinite greed, the frivolous expenses of our warmongering in Iraq, Afghanistan, and elsewhere (including the humanitarian disasters inflicted on the Palestinians with our financial support). And that's just the beginning of the list.

Anyway, Barb, know this: your challenge was met, as you were not alone watching the inauguration. Thanks for sharing with us today, as you did with your students. Windows on Haiti is clearly important to you, and I feel very touched by your sentiment.

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:54 pm

I've been absolutely glued to the TV since early this morning, as well as actively corresponding by email with my younger sister in Fall River, MA and my youngest grandchild Nik in Montreal. What an amazing day this has been at all levels. I'm flowing with thoughts that I'll probably put into writing tomorrow. Just thought I'd check to see what activity was on Ann Pale but I'm headed back for the TV. As long as this event is being covered, I'll be there.

Marilyn

Leoneljb

Post by Leoneljb » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:03 am

Guy and I enjoyed that moment with a couple of Friends. That was wonderful!
With Obama, there is another will so to speak to Help your Community and be part of the USA...
What a Guy! What a Moment in History! The People who lived from civil rights to watch the First Black president of the USA, I can't describe their joy...
Now, it's time for Real Work. I Believe!!!!
BUSH OUT!!!
Leonel

Serge

Post by Serge » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:00 pm

Leonel,

Like you, Guy and Marylin, I was glued to the TV all day till at least midnight. In fact from 5 a.m. I was watching already. I must say I was to chicken to brave the cold. My daughter did go but, there is no way i would in this weather.

Anyway, like many others, I never thought I would see such a momentous event occur so early. Even though much remains to be done, great history was made yesterday.

Yes Leonel, I agree it was a real great speech adapted to the current situation. However, I do not know if you listened to CNN yesterday. This commentator, Jeffrey Tubin, got trounced by another commentator for what he said. It is incredible that he said that he found the speech rather ordinary and with no theme? Why because, according to him, it had no "memorable line". Therefore, this is a speech which would be quickly forgotten. My mouth dropped when I heard that. This is the criteria that he, a former prosecutor, used to evaluate the inaugural speech. Incredible! His colleague on the show totally disagreed and destroyed his dumb argument by pointing out to the substantial issues Obama had covered in the speech.

Now that we have President Obama, the real work begins. I hope he will remain as focused and vigilant as he says, because the task at hand will require that.

I remain absolutely amazed that one man can provoke such powerful emotions from all part of the world, from all kinds of races. Guy, if you can find find the speech, could you post it on the forum? That way, we would be able to make more detailed comments of different sections. What do you think?

Serge

Shelony

Post by Shelony » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:28 pm

I have not posted in a long time and even visited rarely nowadays due to some circumstances but I feel that I need to share with my fellow Anpale'ers what I felt. I was in awe. I could only watch the oath and part of the speech but that very brief time I spent in front of the TV was a moment to reflect. My prayer is that during Mr. Obama's presidency, those who have lost their jobs start working again and be able to support their families, that the KKK spirit is for ever gone in the US and there is peace in the world.

Shelony