T-Mobile USA Waives Call Charges to and From Haiti

Guysanto
Site Admin

T-Mobile USA Waives Call Charges to and From Haiti

Post by Guysanto » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:26 pm

T-Mobile USA Waives Call Charges to and From Haiti; Pledges Support of
Wireless Equipment to Assist in Restoration Options

BELLEVUE, Wash. – January 14, 2010 – T-Mobile USA, Inc. today announced that the company is taking a number of steps to provide relief and help unite families in the aftermath the earthquake disaster in Haiti.

For current T-Mobile customers who are trying to connect with loved ones in Haiti during the aftermath of the country's devastating earthquake, T-Mobile USA is enabling phone calls to Haiti without charges for international long distance through January 31, 2010, and retroactive to the earthquake on January 12, 2010. Additionally, T-Mobile customers who may already be in Haiti will be able to roam on T-Mobile's partner networks in Haiti (operated locally in Haiti under the names Voila and Digicel) free-of-charge through the end of the month. In both cases, T-Mobile will remove these charges from customer bills accordingly.

“Our company and our employees care deeply for our customers, and we know that many customers have been directly impacted by the disaster in Haiti,” said Robert Dotson, president and CEO, T-Mobile USA. “While our thoughts go out to those in Haiti who are suffering so greatly at this time, our promise is to help people connect with those who matter most. I can think of no better time to demonstrate this commitment.”

Additionally, T-Mobile has taken steps to assist with the restoration of the wireless communications infrastructure in Haiti – a key component in supporting the overall humanitarian and recovery efforts. T-Mobile has pledged its support to donate wireless equipment such as generators and phones.

How You Can Help

For those interested in helping immediately, T-Mobile customers can simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts. Your donation will be charged to your T-Mobile phone bill, and one hundred percent of this donation goes directly to the Red Cross. There is no per-text fee for this service for T-Mobile customers who do not have a messaging plan, nor will the text be decremented from messaging plans. Similarly, customers can text “YELE” to 501501 to support Haitian-born musician and featured T-Mobile MyTouch™ 3G artist Wyclef Jean's Yele Haiti fund. For more information, please visit http://www.yele.org .

About T-Mobile USA, Inc.

Based in Bellevue, Wash., T-Mobile USA, Inc. is the U.S. wireless operation of Deutsche Telekom AG (NYSE: DT). By the end of the third quarter of 2009, almost 151 million mobile customers were served by the mobile communication segments of the Deutsche Telekom group — 33.4 million by T-Mobile USA — all via a common technology platform based on GSM and UMTS, the world's most widely used digital wireless standards. T-Mobile's innovative wireless products and services help empower people to connect to those who matter most. Multiple independent research studies continue to rank T-Mobile among the highest in numerous regions throughout the U.S. in wireless customer care and call quality. For more information, please visit http://www.T-Mobile.com .

T-Mobile is a federally registered trademark of Deutsche Telekom AG.

Media Contacts:
T-Mobile USA Media Relations
(425) 378-4002
mediarelations@t-mobile.com

Guysanto
Site Admin

Post by Guysanto » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:33 pm

That is a significant gesture. Thank you T-Mobile (and I truly thought that I would NEVER have to say thank you to ANY of the telecom companies!!!!!!!) I am not on the T-mobile network, after leaving them nearly two years ago for ATT, but now I will have to truly reconsider. I was strongly leaning in favor of CREDO MOBILE (even before they took the recent initiative of advocating in favor of TPS for Haitian refugees in the U.S.), but I may just give T-Mobile a second look.

Tayi

Post by Tayi » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:48 am

Thank you T-mobile!

Shelony

Post by Shelony » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:13 am

Thank you T mobile and thank you Vonage.
Those of you who don't have T-mobile, you can get 10-min free call from Vonage using any phone.
Dial 1(800) 809-2503. It works. I just used it successfully.
Shelony

Guysanto
Site Admin

Post by Guysanto » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:30 pm

Shelony, where did you get this information about Vonage? It's not on their website, as far as I was able to tell. There are scams out there and I hope that you or anyone reading this don't become victims of such. Please reconfirm and let us know.

Shelony

Post by Shelony » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:31 pm

Guy,
this is a good concern but I hope I was not scamed.
I origininally found it on http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20100115/tc_zd/247627

As there was no info on the website I called the contact number found on "www.vonage.com" website 1-(800) 705-7092 to verify and I was told that it is true. So I tried and I talked to someone in port-au-Prince I could not find before. If someone else can verify and let the community know that could be very helpful so that if it is a scam, no one else is fooled but if it is true hat we may take advantage.

Shelony

Guysanto
Site Admin

Post by Guysanto » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:48 pm

Thank you so much, Shelony, for your response. I want to reproduce the article here. The information does appear to be legitimate.

T-Mobile, Vonage Waiving Charges to Haiti
PC Magazine

Mark Hachman - PC Magazine – Fri Jan 15, 11:56 am ET

If you're a T-Mobile customer with a friend or loved one in Haiti, here's a bit of good news: T-Mobile will waive the tolls associated with international calls to the beleaguered country until Jan. 31, and retroactive to the date of the quake, or Jan. 12.

Vonage ahs also launched a similar program, but accessible to all, not just the company's customers. Users can call (800) 809-2503 to set up a call, according to the Vonage Twitter account.

T-Mobile customers on the ground in Haiti can also roam on the island's T-Mobile partner networks for free for the same period, T-Mobile added.

According to the company, T-Mobile will remove the charges from its customers' bills.

"Our company and our employees care deeply for our customers, and we know that many customers have been directly impacted by the disaster in Haiti," said Robert Dotson, president and chief executive of T-Mobile USA, in a statement. "While our thoughts go out to those in Haiti who are suffering so greatly at this time, our promise is to help people connect with those who matter most. I can think of no better time to demonstrate this commitment."

Users have a number of options to donate to the Haiti cause, either via text or online.

T-Mobile has also agreed to donate generators and other equipment as part of the process of rebuilding the Haitian infrastructure, the company said.
Originally posted to Gearlog.

This story was updated at 2:04 PM PT on Friday with Vonage details.