Culinary Arts Institute
Topping: 6 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 cup chopped pistachios or peanuts
Cake: 4 ounces (4 squares) unsweetened chocolate
6 tablespoons butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups milk
2 egg whites, beaten stiff, but not dry
1. For topping, blend butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup, then add nuts and mix well.
2. Spread nut mixture over bottom of a greased 13X9-inch baking pan.
3. For cake, melt chocolate over hot, not boiling, water.
4. Cream butter with sugar thoroughly. Beat in the egg yolks, vanilla extract, and melted chocolate.
5. Sift flour with baking powder. Alternately add flour mixture with milk to the chocolate mixture, beating
until blended after each addition. Fold in beaten eg white. Turn batter into pan over nut mixture.
6. Bake at 350°F about 45 minutes. Invert on a board or platter. If necessary, spread nut mixture evenly over the cake. Cool, serve cut in squares.