Food for thought - Call to Action

Nekita Lamour

Working together

Post by Nekita Lamour » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:48 am

Senou,

I like your ideas. But it is very hard. I notice in the Haitian community, the adage "Nul n'est prophete dans son pays" is more applicable. You refer to Kennedy. But there were the astronauts he could call upon. In the Haitian community if you think of an idea, my experience is you have to do it all. You have no one you could rely upon. The people think you have to have a mandate from a higher authority to do some thing in your own community. The idea of grassroots or like Kennedy "don't ask what the country can do for you, but what you can do for the country" is not common in the Haitian community

Those who are familiar with my ideas know I always talk about youth programs, a school or something where we can teach our Haitian children our culture and the culture of this country. I don't think you can live in a country not knowing the history of the country, or what makes the US what is is today.

However, my experience is once people are working, those who should be involved in helping with the idea don't seem interested. To be blunt, learning, planning, thinking together, is not a common practice or habit in the Haitian community.

Like you said, Haitians are in good positions all over, but put all those in their own communities , you have chaos. I am speaking as someone who basically grew up in the United States, particularly in Boston. I came here in high school and never leave the Haitian community while traveling the world and learning about other cultures and subjects. My frame of reference is not only the Haitian community while I am part of it. I don't have a big job or one of those with a big title. I was a classroom teacher for 27 years.

What I notice is that every Haitian is pleased wherever they are. That sense of personal satisfaction in addition to mentality and attitude create a stagnant community.

Leoneljb

Post by Leoneljb » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:16 am

It is also due to the fact that We are afraid to make some sacrifices...
I would like to give my time for the "Cause". But, what if???
Leonel

Jgpalmis

Post by Jgpalmis » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:47 am

I hear you, Senou. That will be awesome if we can accomplish that but I have one tiny weeny problem. To tell you the truth, I used to read your posts, "them all", but I gave up. Not because what you wrote were not interesting. It is more due to the fact that I observed throughout the years you have honoured us with your posts, you don't stay and debate with us, Why?

I am praying and hoping that you are going to start practicing what you preached in your post and start debating with us here on Ann Pale. See, two of my fellow Annpaleers replied to your post but could you and would you help me/us once to have the privilege of reading your reaction to what we are saying about your writings? I think this is one of the obstacles we, Haitians, need to face. The art of debating without the perception that we are in front of an enemy. I am not implying that to you. You might have your own reasons...

I think the change that we, Haitians, are expecting has to come from within. Haiti by itself cannot change but we, as individuals can start this process by taking a good look at ourselves and start changing some bad habits that our school system left with us such like being afraid to make mistakes when we are talking and do what ever we would like to do. Fear is taking too much place in our psyche. Leonel said that we are afraid of making some sacrifices he is right! I will add too, the sacrifice to look at self and assess what is right and what is wrong. We need to shake ourselves up from our comfort zone and allow us to be challenged.

Looking forward to read you, Senou.

Palmis