Décès du célèbre footballeur Emmanuel ‘Manno’ Sanon

Décès du célèbre footballeur Emmanuel ‘Manno' Sanon

Post by Frantz » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:31 pm

> Dépêches >

Haiti : Décès du célèbre footballeur Emmanuel ‘Manno' Sanon

jeudi 21 février 2008
P-au-P, 21 Fév. 0 8 [AlterPresse] --- La star haitienne du football, Emmanuel « Manno » Sanon, est décédée, ce jeudi 21 février 2008, aux États-unis, des suites d'un cancer du pancréas, apprend AlterPresse de sources combinées.

En convalescence depuis quelque temps, le héros du football haitien s'est éteint à 6 :59 à l'âge de 57 ans à Orlando (Etats-Unis), où il vivait depuis de nombreuses années avec toute sa famille.

« Je suis très triste », a déclaré à AlterPresse, John Chéry, chroniqueur sportif et ancien footballeur qui a vécu « de très grands moments » en Belgique avec ‘Manno' Sanon. « J'ai perdu un frère », a-t-il ajouté.

La date des funérailles n'est pas encore annoncée.

‘Manno' Sanon, qui a joué la Coupe du monde de football de 1974, est réputé pour avoir marqué contre Dino Zoff, le portier invincible de la sélection italienne de football.

Sous les couleurs de la sélection haitienne, ‘Manno' Sanon a marqué 47 buts pour 106 rencontres disputées.

En 1999, Sanon a été entraîneur de la sélection nationale haitienne durant un an. [do apr 21/02/2008 10 :00]

Post by Leoneljb » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:52 am

A very sad news indeed.
He was so young at fifty six...
I had no idea He had pancreatic cancer.
Mes condoleances a sa Famille.
He will be missed

Site Admin

Post by Guysanto » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:09 am

Toup pou yo, Manno! I think that your flair for achieving what most would have considered an impossible goal for "a Haitian" is what animates Barack Obama today: If it can be done by anyone in a year or a century, then WHY NOT ME and WHY NOT NOW?

You were not the first, and fortunately you will not be the last to defy the super inflated odds. Joe Gaetjens did it against all of England, you did it against all of Italy, not to say against all of the soccer-literate world. That is, because you never stopped believing in yourself. In the process, you gave us something to rejoice over. I remember the precise moment: I was at Madison Square Garden, watching it on the big screen, right next to current Ann Pale stalwart, Frantz Jean. The explosion of joy was something to behold, and indeed it instantly became one of those truly unforgettable moments.

Thank you for the memory, but your life was so much more than that forever cherished soccer goal.

You were also a passionate lover of your native country, Haiti.

Though I have never really participated in "HaitianPolitics" and perhaps other internet online forums, I have, over the years, received many of your unrelenting posts: you demanded excellence from your compatriots in all fields of endeavor. You lived it, and wanted to hold our leaders accountable to doing the same in public administration, in education, and other social arenas.

So, with even greater impact than that exhilarating goooooooooal in 1974, your spirit will live on. Toup pou yo!

Post by Gelin_ » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:43 pm

This man lived his life and in the process inspired countless people to excel at what they do. In the 70s my family had a grocery store and I can remember Manno's picture holding a bottle of Guiness to promote the product. Last year I read his autobiography...really inspiring! He will be missed and simply cannot be replaced.

See more: http://www.haitifoot.com/manno_sanon/manno_sanon.php