Under Bush's Latortue Regime, Haiti ranked top most corrupt

Ezili Danto

Under Bush's Latortue Regime, Haiti ranked top most corrupt

Post by Ezili Danto » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:59 pm

• Haiti and Iraq top most corrupt countries' list

11/06/2006
    The report noted a strong link between poverty and graft. Three wealthy countries - Finland, Iceland and New Zealand - tied for the best score.

Haiti ranked at the bottom of 163 countries in an annual corruption survey, scoring slightly worse than Iraq, Guinea and Myanmar, an international watchdog group said Monday.

The impoverished Caribbean nation's showing in Transparency International's 2006 Corruption Perceptions Index was even lower than in the previous year, when Haiti was third to last behind Bangladesh and Chad.

Berlin-based Transparency International's findings are based on businesspeople's and analysts' perceptions of corruption.

Some nations such as Afghanistan, North Korea and Somalia were not included in the survey for lack of data.

The report noted a strong link between poverty and graft.

Three wealthy countries - Finland, Iceland and New Zealand - tied for the best score.

In Haiti and other low-ranking countries, "corruption continues to be one of the biggest obstacles to effectively fight poverty,'' the group said.
    Haitian President Rene Preval, who took power in May, has pledged to fight graft, tightening customs controls on importers and branding Haitians who don't pay taxes as "traitors.''

(See, also the BBC's article on this, which doesn't set forth the dates for this ranking as clearly as the above article: "Haiti tops world corruption table" | http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6120522.stm )

Recommended HLLN link:
Legacy of Impunity - Don't believe the hype about Haiti being the most violent and corrupt place in the world. The Neocolonialists inciting political instability is Haiti's main probem. It is this political instabiity that is responsible for the legacy of impunity, endemic poverty and violence in Haiti. Otherwise, Haiti is underdeveloped in crime, corruption and violence, compared to other nations. http://www.margueritelaurent.com/pressc ... unity.html

Ezili Danto

TI spokesperson accuses Alexis government

Post by Ezili Danto » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:45 am

Just as suspected. Check how this TI spokesperson tries to rope the Preval into their corruption ratings.

According to a Nov. 7th AHP article that crossed my desk today: "In a statement issued Monday in Port-au-Prince, the representative of TI in Haiti, Marilyn Allien, accused the Alexis government of having done nothing to fight corruption. She tried to justify her accusations by citing the fact that the new authorities withdrew the complaint filed in Florida by the Latortue government against ousted President Jean-Bertrand Aristide."

As you say Jaf, let them continue to reveal themselves.

It's NEVER about Haitian human rights and ameliorating corruption for the country's authentic advancement. This is as it appears, just another deliberate attempt at destabalization. Where, pray tell, was TI with the attention-getting-soundbite-headlines, in 2004, 2005. Obviously then the kolons had their main man in there slaughtering the people, so no, Noreiga, James Foley, Timothy Carney, Stanley Lucas, Jim Morrel, IRI, USAID, HDP, et al, were ACTUALLY writing, in Miami Herald, about how Haiti had made "improvements" and was generally "better off." Haiti wouldn't make headlines for corruption, violence and slaughter and insecurity then. But get a peoples' elected President in there, all the sudden these vipers care about Haitian rights, et al....

As Bouli writes:

[quote]The rankings are a tool for the UN to intervene when it is not of its business. ... TI rushed to find poverty as the culprit when Haiti has been the called poorest of the poor for so many years. Haitians always knew why the riches are knocking at their door so often. There was a time country-looting was a big deal but, recently country-looting has become the new world order... Two hundred years ago an army of African captives were able to stop the enslavers from killing millions of human beings on the island. Since genocide, slavery were the world order, to Europeans it was business interruption. They are back in Haiti to do business as usual. (Emphasis added)[/quote]
  • The corruption in Haiti cited by Transparency International in its 2006 report applies to the Latortue government, according to Minister Joseph Jasmin

Port-au-Prince, November 7, 2006 (AHP) - Minister Joseph Jasmin, responsible for relations between the Executive Branch and the Parliament, said Tuesday that the corruption discussed in the 2006 report of Transparency International (TI) in its entry on Haiti has nothing to do with the Préval/Alexis government, which has only been in office since June 2006.

In its latest report, published in Berlin,Transparency International presented Haiti, Burma and Iraq as the three most corrupt countries out of a total of 163 countries in its survey based on local perceptions of the level of public sector corruption.

"The corruption to which Transparency International refers when it ranks Haiti as it did has one source, and that is the interim government that led the country from March 2004 to May 2006, insisted Minister Jasmin, noting that as the report has been published in 2006, it concerns the interim government and it is that government that should be held accountable, he said.

We have the obligation to inform all levels of Haitian society about this fact to avoid any attempt at confusion, he said.

"No serious report can be prepared spontaneously. Considerable time is needed to conduct investigations, carry out research, collect data and tabulate it before arriving at a conclusion", he asserted.

" Everyone knows that corruption was lord and master over the past two years", Minister Jasmin went on to say, stressing that as a member of President Préval's transition team, he and his colleagues often had the impression that there were craters beneath their feet when the files were handed over, as there were so many irregular situations in the country's finances.

In a statement issued Monday in Port-au-Prince, the representative of TI in Haiti, Marilyn Allien, accused the Alexis government of having done nothing to fight corruption.

She tried to justify her accusations by citing the fact that the new authorities withdrew the complaint filed in Florida by the Latortue government against ousted President Jean-Bertrand Aristide.

Mr. Jasmin downplayed this accusation, affirming that beyond the legal irregularities that plagued the complaint, the initiative was simply a political decision taken by political adversaries against the Aristide government.

The new government remains committed to the fight against corruption, contraband, illicit trafficking and crime, said Joseph Jasmin.

The Haitian government spokesperson also observed sardonically that it is not the withdrawal of the complaint against Mr. Aristide that drove the interim government to commit the earlier acts of corruption denounced by Transparency International.

Joseph Jasmin emphasized that the results of the audits have not yet been published because not all of them are complete at this time.

"The work is continuing and the results of the audits will be made public to enable all sectors to have accurate information on the management record of the interim government", said Minister Jasmin, adding that at that time everyone will be held accountable.

The day after its inauguration, said Jasmin, the top priority of the new government was to meet the greatest needs of the population.

AHP November 7, 2006 2:40 PM

Michel Nau_

Post by Michel Nau_ » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:57 pm

[quote]The corruption in Haiti cited by Transparency International in its 2006 report applies to the Latortue government, according to Minister Joseph Jasmin[/quote]
Another government official pointing fingers at a previous administration, and activists as usual putting a political face to this issue of corruption!!
Haiti is a corrupt country, from 1804 to present.

From the time you get off the airplane to the custom service, one need to tips government official clerks who are checking your passport, your bags etc...at the post office, MVA, taxes offices, telephone company, drug etc, even the president has his cut.
Haiti is a corrupt country regardless of the government past and present. Everything else is just politics.

In Haiti, corruption is part of doing business.
Let's us all face this problem of corruption and do something about it!!

Govenman vôlo ap relè bare deye govenman vôlo!! Nou genyen pou nou we wi nan peyi sa..

Empress Verite

Is Preval all That?

Post by Empress Verite » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:28 am

One all!

I did not see this thread posted by Ezili a couple of days ago when the material came out about Haiti's alleged corruption. Frankly, it does not surprise me at all. I understand that this study was conducted by the international thugs who are always out to undermine and upset a democratically elected government in Ayiti. But I have personally experienced the corruption in Haiti. Particularly as it relates to bureaucratic issues such as acquiring visas and so forth. There's so much crap involved. In addition, the powers that be who are doing the finger pointing have put the folks in power who are doing the corrupting. These are the so-called professionals, petit bourgeois folks who are out to get theirs and fill their pockets and forget about the majority. Honestly, out of you folks who have responded to this, Ezili, Bouli, Zanfanginen, and Jafrikayiti. How many of you have not benefited from the Haitian political bureaucracy in the form of jobs and other kickbacks? This is not an insult but perhaps you folks are too close to this issue. There was no transparency under the technocrat wannabes of the Latortue administration and I don't believe that the Aristide administrations were transparent either. There's a lot of moun pa in Haiti and all the radicals have to come to terms with that and find better ways to give or grant access to all.

In Miami for instance, the Veye Yo folks are no different in action and intent than the Latortue folks housed at Sant La and other such places. They back different heads but they're still thuggish in their manner against the downtrodden.

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to listen to an interview with Edwidge Danticat and So Anne. So Anne, an Aristide supporter, claimed that the Preval administration was just as corrupt as the Latortue folks. I was shocked that she was saying that. She went on to state that Preval had not fired the Latortue heads and these same technocrats had their jobs and that nothing was being done for the people. Apparently, the folks were still not being served and the proper help or funding had not been provided.

I know that many of you probably know her well and I was shocked that she was making these claims. In light of the fact that the Preval administration granted her freedom. She continued to fight for those unknown folks still left behind and also those poor downtrodden ones whom she was fighting to help.

I really admired her courage. She said that she had called and spoken to Preval and her sister on many occasions but they listened but had not done anything about the conditions.

I believed her because she seemed like a genuine freedom fighter and artist with no personal motivation. She has opened her home to the folks in the community and also she started a Koral. I am worried that she may be targeted again and I hope that she can escape this time.

I was shocked by how many artists were imprisoned by the Latortue folks and how many were dreads too! They showed them on the news on HTN and it was disturbing indeed.

Corruption allegations are worth investigating by the Haitians on Haitian soil and in the Diaspora. Kill moun pa and Marenn and Parenn once and for all!

Best,
EV

Ezili Danto

Not in this lifetime, nor the next

Post by Ezili Danto » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:52 am

Empress Verite, wrote:[quote]Honestly, out of you folks who have responded to this, Ezili, Bouli, Zanfenginen, and Jafrikayiti. How many of you have not benefitted from the Haitian political bureaucracy in the form of jobs and other kickbacks? [/quote]

Honestly, No, not in this lifetime, nor the next. My work is my passport in all that I do in this world. Never was I "moun pa" to anyone in power in Haiti. In fact, those in power, move to the other side when Ezili Danto walks into a room. But I have, at times, invested my last cents into sustaining the children I have supported in Haiti, in Haiti grassroots projects and in Haiti advocacy work.

So, yes there are Haitians who work for the betterment of Haiti and who are not corrupt. I know many. I was raised by two. I work to advocate for almost nine million.

Ezili Dantò

Empress Verite

Thanks For the Clarification

Post by Empress Verite » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:36 am

Sak Pase Erzili?

With all due respect I did not mean any insult. I was under the impression that you were a lawyer on the Aristide team of representatives because of the work that you do. And unfortunately, to some that could be interpreted as an insider position gained because of certain ties or close associations with specific persons.

I am sure that you've worked hard for all that you got and you deserve your breaks.

No disrespect intended.

EV

Michel Nau_

Post by Michel Nau_ » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:38 pm

Empress Verite wrote: [quote]Honestly, out of you folks who have responded to this, Ezili, Bouli, Zanfanginen, and Jafrikayiti. How many of you have not benefited from the Haitian political bureaucracy in the form of jobs and other kickbacks? This is not an insult but perhaps you folks are too close to this issue.[/quote]
This is not an insult Empress. Indeed, this is a fair question, and a true answer will set one free.
During Aristide era, a lot of young professionals rushed in to Haiti in search of job. The majority of them found jobs financed in part by the USAID and the State Department. When the funding dried out and lost their job for a reason or another, they turned against their master, the US government.
Their resume is still hanging in file for everyone to see.

Michel

Ezili Danto

My answer stands Michelnau and is herein again reiterated

Post by Ezili Danto » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:27 pm

Respect Empress Verite. ED

Empress Verite

Michel Thank You for Backing me

Post by Empress Verite » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:40 pm

Greetings Michel and ED:

I just wanted to say that I personally don't want to accuse anyone who took a job or post from a governmental administration as being corrupt at all. For me a corrupted official or professional is one who accepts bribes or favors sexual or otherwise in order to do their job. This is a normal occurence in Haiti. I lived there for 10 years and you can't get anywhere if you're not greasing someone's palm or satisfying someone sexually or something. It's sickening!

And, one must accept responsibility for the implications of one's success in life. Just like I have to admit that I have priviledges because I was born in the US in comparisson to those who were not and are non-citizens or undocumented. Secondly, it has been proven that folks get their positions based on who they know. And who they know is based almost exclusively on who they are. As such you have the reproduction of the white supremist system that would have some (those who resemble the power structure) working in the house while the others work in the field. Come on now, even Malcom X wrote about this and he did not have a degree from an Ivy League institution.

A good example is the fact that after earning his degree Albert Eistein could not get a job. He thought that his profs had bad mouth him but it turns out that he just did not know anyone. He was not well connected perhaps because of his religious background and his class background. A school friend's father helped him to get an entry level position and he was on his way. Unfortunately, this is how most college grads get their first jobs! And do we wonder why unemployment is so high in the Black community and even higher among Haitians and of course all of the other groups within the black race?

For me the crime is not in accepting or working for a specific administration. The issue is how can we claim objectivity in the face of allegations about corruption when we've worked for a specific administration? I had the misfortune to be around the Aristide folks in Berkeley and they seemed no different to me than any other folks.

Best regards,
EV

Empress Verite

Ayight

Post by Empress Verite » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:43 pm

Greetings:

Bouli, I really did not mean to insult anyone or to give you folks some kind of backhanded compliment at all. But the fact is that even to register your kid in school you have to know someone in Ayiti. It just feels suffocating you know. Let alone trying to go get a visa or a job of any kind. I realize too that the petit bourgeois are inclined to leave the nation state because of all of these problems and the lack of growth, opportunity and social cohesion. You really cannot get anywhere without knowing someone really. And you know exactly what I'm talking about. I don't need to outline this fact with personal experiences or anecdotes that would bore you simply because I'm sure you have a chest full and lots of your own memories too.

And what does Marc Bazin have to do with all of this and how is he connected to Lavalas anyway? Please forgive my ignorance about this. And accept my sincerest and deepest apologies. (I sure would like to see Haiti through your eyes someday.)

Jaf:

I hear everything you say and semantics have so much to do with comprehension and perhaps intent. My intentions were not to re-inscribe the racist stereotype that the White supremist promote about our beloved Ayiti. I just wanted to express my feelings based on my personal experiences. Even folks in Miami complain when about interactions with Haitians in business and other situations. They complain about the problems that come from the whole "moun pa" "marenn, parenn" tradition.

But you make some excellent points that I did not consider in my "tirade" : one is the continued association of Haitians with corruption which may justify complete recolonization by the white missionaries who feel bound by duty to come and cleanse us or perhaps to enlighten us and bring us to a "cleaner" space. Whereas their own nation states continue to fuel hate. And yes, they associate the term dictator with specific colors or races and forget about the tyranny of Washington and GW and Hitler etc...

What do you mean about the "timing" and all. Why has it all come out at this time? Do the Germans have problems with Haiti again? Weren't they responsible for the Monroe Doctrine stuff? I am not sure that I understand what you mean it here???

I have nothing but love for the Haitian people and I do believe that those responsible for the problems should be held accountable. And I believe that the research pointed out that it was mostly elected officials and professionals. It did not mention the poor people with no position as being corrupt. Unfortunately, it's the nature of the game.

As Bouli mentioned, my country of birth the USA may not have been on the list but here too if one does not know someone than one gets nowhere fast.

Best,
EV

Empress Verite

Undeserved Link Between Poverty and Corruption

Post by Empress Verite » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:12 pm

Greetings Jaf:

Thanks again for schooling me about this issue. I appreciate your perspective especially since you have way more knowledge and experience in this area than I do. I agree wholeheartedly that we must be very careful when making the link between poverty, corruption and Haiti for example. You are probably right to be very critical and weary of that connection which the report does not do enough to repudiate.

By the way, what are MRE's again?

I'm glad that you didn't think that I meant any disrespect to the Haitian people with my contentions.

Best regards,
EV

Empress Verite

Amen to That Jaf

Post by Empress Verite » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:35 pm

Jaf:

You sure have a lot to say about this topic alright. I hope that you don't think that I have put you in the same boat or group as the MREs in Haiti. But we all get our breaks because of who we are and we should be thankful that we're not the ones not getting the breaks.

Thanks for the quotes dread. I read that Paul Farmer book and sorry that you had to do all of that work in your busy schedule. Have you read anything about the rest of the Haitian population like the 90% who don't get any breaks at all and have no hope of ever getting any? I mean anything that I might want to read about how to look at this situation from their perspective? How do they go on on a daily basis living and going on about their business knowing that theres' no hope? How come they have not all tried to commit suicide for instance in light of these hard conditions and the brick walls that they run into that block their progress? In the country there's poverty and lack but in the city there's prejudice and oppression.

Kenbe and have a good day.
EV

Empress Verite

Affranchis joining the Class War

Post by Empress Verite » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:55 pm

Jaf:

Thanks so much for taking your time to school me or communicate with me about this matter. My question about suicide was just rhetorical. And I want to know how are the Affranchis going to join the revolutionary movement of the downtrodden exactly. As you mentioned Azania-I recall that back in the 1980s the movement to free South Africa from apartheid was really strong in the North East US and a lot of students participated. However, until the South Africans took the helm it was just a bourgeois thing. What role will the Affranchis play anyway? I have no hope in that 'coz rulers only like to play rulers they don't like to share the limelight at all. You mean kinda like the Spook who sat by the door? Or what Amilcar Cabral writes about returning to the Source? And I guess Fanon alludes to that too. Yeah, is that possible dread? Please explain it to me because you sound like you're writing a book about it or something based perhaps on your experiences.

Whether we like it or not. The great majority of the people will probably never be mobilized into collective (re)action against tyrany at home and from "ELSEWHERE". We need programs that will encourage folks to do the right thing whether they are struggling in the rural areas or being downpressed in the urban centers at home or in the Diaspora. What is the program for that? I feel that we each need to be encouraged to start with self. By taking responsibility for our own acts and for our own "consciousness" or "enlightenment" than we can proceed. Until then, it will be an activists cry with no substance. I have seen so many of these folks who talk their stuff walk the walk and protest all day and all night everywhere but are not compassionate people at all. So I really would like to understand where you are coming from.

I am so happy that you were so inspired by the sistah who was using her doctorate degree to help or perhaps make clear to the world that Africans were taking actions and cleaning up their water. (I sure would like her help to clean up the water in Miami. It stinks and we have to purify it for drinking.) That's a really good cause to get involved with and I hope that she finds this work fulfilling indeed. I know that you are like that and that you seem to want to help your people with the training that you've gained. However, you never write about that. (I'm not trying to get you to break it down for me. But there's so many people in Haiti trying to help but nothing is getting better. One serious hurricane and so many would die. One serious earthquake like the one that just hit the DR would devastate us. You get my drift? I'm tired. (It seems that this conversation is taking on the Development aura and I don't like those folks at all. I associate the word with too many bad and disgusting things.)

Lemme get on some other reading and threads.

Best regards,
EV