Haitian Immigrant Resource Manual

admin
Site Admin

Haitian Immigrant Resource Manual

Post by admin » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:52 pm

http://haitiforever.com/windowsonhaiti/livimigran.gif

What you see above is the front cover of a book I have just edited and published about 2 weeks ago. The book looks quite impressive, even before you get to the wealth of information inside. [No doubt, it's because my wife did the cover design, which represents the map of New Jersey in Haitian colors, blue and red. But also, the cover and inside paper stock and the binding are top notch. The very best quality that was available.] It's a guide to the resources available to Haitian immigrants in the State of New Jersey. It's a 80-page book (40 pages in Haitian Creole, 40 pages in English), and that's just the first edition! I will collect all information that I have missed and compiled it into the next edition which, depending on financing, should be made available in 2007. Future editions still will cover information for the states of New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Illinois, California, and everywhere else there is a significant Haitian community.

THE BOOK IS FREE. As noted, it is particularly targeted to Haitians living in the State of New Jersey, but people from other states may want to get a copy as well, so they can see the format in which I would like to receive information from their respective states, so I can in due time publish a comprehensive directory at the national level.

Though I offer the book freely, please understand that I do not have the resources to mail it to you freely. I have mailed out a number of copies already to various State Representatives for use in their districts and the first-class postage amounted to $2.79. If you are interested in a FREE COPY for yourself or your organization or your school or your health center, etc, etc... this is what you should do: Mail me a pre-stamped manila envelope (should be slightly larger than 8-1/2" x 11"). Affix $2.79 postage to the envelope yourself or include the necessary stamps (not the money, please!) and place it in another envelope addressed to my attention, as such:

Guy S. Antoine
Haitian-American Initiative Toward Integration
89 Market Street, 8th Floor
Newark, NJ 07102

I will then promptly insert a book in your PRE-STAMPED and PRE-ADDRESSED envelope and send it your way. I apologize for asking you to do all of that, but I do not have the financial resources to do any mass mailing at this point and you could well save me some precious time by addressing your own return envelopes.

Though I directed the project, it was definitely a team effort and the result is worthwhile. You will be glad to have a copy. Best of all, you can participate in future editions of the book by sending me later, via e-mail preferably, information not contained in it but that is pertinent to you and your community. The e-mail address to be used for that purpose will be guyantoine@haitian-american.org .

I hope that you will be pleased by this first major effort from a very special team.

I thank you on our behalf for your appreciation.

Guy

Ezili Danto

Good work

Post by Ezili Danto » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:43 pm

Congratulations Guy on the completion of this resource manual.

It's really good to arm Haitian immigrants with information so that they may themselves know the in and outs and not be at the complete mercy - due to language barriers, access and economic constraints, -of folks who just take their money and provide promises but no result.

Chapo ba to you and your team.

Ezili Dantò

Empress Verite

Way to Go Antoine Team

Post by Empress Verite » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:55 pm

Good work:

I needed that myself. I've been looking for something like that. I can't wait to read the material on the other states and later on countries too. That will be so useful for so many people. Do you concentrate on institutions or other aspects of social life as well?

I'll send for it as soon as possible.

Best regards,
EV

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:13 pm

Wow! I printed that note on October 8 and until today, received not a single comment about it, let alone an order for a free copy. Today, as I did my monthly maintenance of this forum, categorizing the various threads, I thought briefly about deleting this note since it was an announcement that seemed to interest no one. Lo and behold, I get two notes: one from Ezili Danto, and now another from Empress Verite... as though I had just posted the announcement this morning.

Don't think I am complaining though. I guess the original message was languishing at the bottom of the pile and more pressing matters found their way naturally at the top. As I cleaned up the top of the pile, the message worked its way up and managed to catch the attention of Ezili and Empress. At least, that is the most charitable interpretation.

Lesson to be learned by all the unattractive guys out there: shoot all the handsome ones and be the only ones standing. The ladies will then pay attention.

Anyway, I have no desire to preach, but it was startling indeed that no one on this forum ever asked for a copy of the book. True, it is specifically targeted to New Jersey readers. But... does this mean that no one from New Jersey comes to my forum? Or worse, that no one in New Jersey cares? If that is the case, I definitely must move to another state. I wonder which one I should set my eyes on... Any advice?

Note to Empress: We did concentrate on institutions and service centers, for this first edition of the book. We could not even cover them all. However, if I may say so, I do feel that it is a very good first effort. I will be more inclusive the next time around, if I can gather enough financial resources to back up the research and production. It will be pointed to me, of course, that funds could be raised by selling ads in appropriate spaces. Well, I may have to in future editions. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Thanks, Ezili and Empress, for noticing. It is a pity that neither of you resides in New Jersey.

Empress Verite

Thank You Guy

Post by Empress Verite » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:46 am

Sak Pase Guy?

Thanks for the response about this important document. I was wondering if you printed information about Haitian doctors (and their specialty and places of work or any other such professionals including perhaps midwives too) and also Haitian businesses and stores. I know that it sounds like a lot but believe me we need something like that in South Florida and Miami especially. For instance, I would not even know where to look for or find some Haitian products like lwil palma kristi and the jenjam and molasses candy but no one seems to sell these products around here. The local stores pretty much sell mainstream stuff and its Miami!

And it's hard to find the Haitian professionals too even though many have commercials on HTN but often they are booked or something and so few have these commercials. Word of mouth does not work if you are not deep into the community. I have only lived here for 12 years.

I was wondering too if you could just make the booklet available online? There are so many organizations in Miami that could link folks to it for some resources. Often times Haitians probably have to seek help from professionals out of state simply because of privacy issues.

Best regards and I wish you all the best in future endeavors like this one and others.

EV