Questions for Charles Arthur

Joe Emersberger

Questions for Charles Arthur

Post by Joe Emersberger » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:11 pm

Mr. Charles

Do you dispute that most murders and rapes under the interim regime were carried out by Lavalas opponents?
If so, do you have data to back this up?
What proportion of politically motivated crimes do you think were committed by Lavalas partisans?
Any plans to subject your estimates to peer review as Kolbe and Hutson have done?
How many people have you passed out Athena Kolbe's contact information to in the UK?
Are they from any particular organizations?

Joe Emersberger

Charles Arthur

Replies from Charles Arthur

Post by Charles Arthur » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:35 am

Mr. Joe

You asked:
[quote]Do you dispute that most murders and rapes under the interim regime were carried out by Lavalas opponents? [/quote]

I don't know the political affiliations or links of the perpetrators of the murders and rapes during the period of the interim government. From what I heard, a lot of murders and rapes were carried out by opponents of the Lavalas Family party - no dispute there. In the survey written about in The Lancet it says, "Criminals were most frequently cited as perpetrators of the acts measured in this study (table 2). They were the largest group identified as having committed sexual assaults, physical assault, and kidnappings and extrajudicial detentions." The article in The Lancet also states that, according to the survey, no murders or sexual assaults were perpetrated by Lavalas (Family) members or partisans. This finding surprised me, as it contradicted what I had heard from people in Port-au-Prince.

You asked:
[quote]What proportion of politically motivated crimes do you think were committed by Lavalas partisans?[/quote]

Again, I don't have an answer to this because I have not carried out a survey. Just because I haven't , doesn't mean that I can't articulate my concerns about the survey reported in The Lancet, does it?

I would suggest that you - and anyone else interested in the subject - should be in contact with organisations working on these issues in Haiti. For example, the Port-au-Prince Justice and Peace Commission, or CARLI, to name just two of the better known ones.

Finally, you asked:
[quote]How many people have you passed out Athena Kolbe's contact information to in the UK? Are they from any particular organizations? [/quote]
You sent me an email earlier last week asking similar questions, and also asking if I was aware that Athena Kolbe had received death threats. I interpret this as an attempt to intimidate me. The only contact information for Athena Kolbe/Lyn Duff that I have is the email address that was posted at the foot of an article by her that was published by the San Francisco Bay View and is posted on the ZNet site (it is still there for anyone to see). I state categorically that I have not 'passed out' her contact information to anyone - I don't even have a phone number for her. Mr Joe, you apparently know Athena Kolbe/Lyn Duff well enough to know about the 'death threats' so therefore you must know that Athena Kolbe/Lyn Duff has, to her credit, responded with what could be described as alacrity to requests for her to comment on the Lancet article - I have heard her on three radio shows and read her comments in numerous newspaper articles. I don't know how she made contact with these journalists or how they made contact with her - why don't you ask her?

Charles Arthur