Funérailles émouvantes de la veuve du Président Estimé

admin
Site Admin

Funérailles émouvantes de la veuve du Président Estimé

Post by admin » Sun May 28, 2006 8:31 am

From the Haitianpolitics Forum [original source not identified]

[quote]Funérailles émouvantes de la veuve du Président Estimé

Les funérailles de Lucienne Heurtelou Estimé, veuve de l'ancien Président haitien, Dumarsais Estimé, assassinée le 19 mai dernier à l'âge de 85 ans, ont été chantées dans une grande émotion samedi à l'église Saint-Pierre de Pétion-Ville (banlieue est de Port-au-Prince).

Le Président René Préval et l'ancien général-Président, Prosper Avril, assistaient notamment à la cérémonie. Mgr Louis Kébreau, qui officiait, le fils de la disparue, Jean-Robert Estimé, ancien chef de la diplomatie haitienne, l'actuel chancelier Hérard Abraham et des personnalités de la société civile ont notamment rendu un ultime hommage à Lucienne Heurtelou Estimé et dénoncé sa mort tragique.

Première femme haitienne diplomate, l'ancienne Première Dame a été abattue au cours d'un hold-up mené par cinq bandits armés dans une bijouterie de Port-au-Prince.[/quote]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun May 28, 2006 8:52 am

I have already expressed, on these pages, my dismay and sorrow at the murder Mrs. Estimé. It is a clear reflection of the degradation of civility and the general quality of life in Haiti.

That being said, I note a "small", hardly related, but puzzling issue. At the news of the tragic death of Mrs. Estimé, various news sources referred to her as an "octogenarian". I was surprised then that Mrs. Estimé could still be in her eighties, but then I thought, it would not be a first time that a very successful man would have married a much younger woman. Today, President Estimé would have been 106 years old, since his year of birth is listed as 1900.

All right, you don't even have to be extraordinarily successful to marry someone 20+ years your junior. There are plenty of May-December romances, if you look around hard enough.

However, subsequent news releases gave Mrs. Estimé the venerable age of 93, then 92 years. The first time I read "93", I thought that this was probably more like it. Then, when I read "92", I thought "well, she must have been nearing 93, but she did not quite make it to her 93rd birthday." But now, the latest news I have read claims that she was 85 years old.

OK, nothing fundamental in this story has changed. It is still the same tragedy, and I feel equally sorrowful whether Mrs. Estimé was 85 or 93 years of age. But on such a simple fact, I wish that the various news sources from Haiti would get their act together.

The creeping feeling is, if they cannot get it right in the little things, how could we trust them to get it right when the facts are a little more complicated. Or a lot more.