Generational Gap between Young Haitians and the Diaspora

Tidodo_

Generational Gap between Young Haitians and the Diaspora

Post by Tidodo_ » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:55 am

I was a bit embarassed over the weekend when a young relative of mine, about 20 years old, who grew up in Haiti and just moved here about one and a half year ago asked me that question. "Why don't the people in the diaspora leave Haiti and do not come back?" The implication of the question, in the context we were conversing, was that Haitians in the diaspora do not love Haiti!

I found myself on the defensive trying to explain that I do love Haiti and that we, my young relative and I, know two different Haitis. It seems to me that having been raised in a Haiti that we, in the diaspora, already found difficult to live in, which is why we left, my young relative and perhaps her whole generation have difficulty finding what about the life there not to be enamoured enough for us to be visiting Haiti every year. I realized that perhaps we, in the diaspora, have different standards for Haiti than those of the Haitians who will be living there in the next decades. This is bad news in the sense that the gap of misunderstanding between people in the diaspora and those living in Haiti will continue to grow. I wonder what others think of that?

J-M.

Leonel JB

Post by Leonel JB » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:05 am

Tidodo, I believe that the question is Why do we leave Haiti and do not come back???
Well, personally, being on the defensive I can say that my Patriotic Love is not altogether. For, like I stated before, there is absolutely no excuses for not returning.
I am thinking about the Jewish people going to live in Israel. They invested time, connection and money to their Homeland! But, myself, I do not want to lose on my Luxurious life to bring back whatever it is to my Country. I want my Country to have a better infrastructure and Government to even think about it. I have no Patience like a lot of my Brothers living in different Countries outside.
Remember, all the People who went back some years ago. For some other reasons, their expectations were not fulfilled. The first thing they did, is coming back to their adoptive Land! What if there were no other Land than Haiti?
I believe that we are not Patient with Haiti. We can go back, but, with in mind the first will to come back if life is a little more challenging. Can we call it the number one Back up plan while back in Haiti? Are we so spoiled by being third class Citizen in a Rich and Racist environment?
My answer to all of this is a simple but stupid, "I don't know"!
I understand that we had a duty as Citizen of Haiti. I am not quite sure of what it is. But, I wonder if Dessalines, Christophe and Petion had our actual mentality would Haiti have existed ?
Can You and I accept the challenges ahead for the betterment of Haiti? Can we be a little less Selfish so to speak?
It's up to Us to answer those silly questions, I suppose.
L'union fait la Force
leonel

DPean

Post by DPean » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:54 am

[quote]Why don't the people in the diaspora leave Haiti and do not come back?" The implication of the question, in the context we were conversing, was that Haitians in the diaspora do not love Haiti!
[/quote]
The people in the dispora do not come back to Haiti for the same reason they left in the first place. They are looking for a better life. I think if your presence in Haiti is not going to bring anything positive for Haiti, it is better that you do not move back. I cannot understand people in the dispora going to Haiti to compete for Jobs with people who did not have the same opportunity as they did to travel. The fact is that some Haitians cannot make it in foreign soils go back to Haiti, because they think they may have a competitive edge in Haiti.
My personal opinion is that if by going to Haiti, you are going to bring Knowledge, jobs, I would encourage you to move back. If you have worked all your life, you want to retire to Haiti, spend money in Haiti, by all means go back. Otherwise, you are going to be a strain on Haiti. You may help Haiti better by staying where you are, contribute to family and friends who live in Haiti. As for me, I would love to be able to go visit Haiti once a year, but I have no plan to move back. And this is an act of love.

Tidodo_

Post by Tidodo_ » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:39 pm

[quote]Tidodo, I believe that the question is Why do we leave Haiti and do not come back??? [/quote]

Leonel,

Unfortunately, that was not my question. We already debated that question in a different thread that was started by Dunord.

[quote]I cannot understand people in the dispora going to Haiti to compete for Jobs with people who did not have the same opportunity as they did to travel.[/quote]

Here, Dpean questioned the widely accepted belief among people in the diaspora that by going back to Haiti, they may contribute to solve Haiti's problems. I agree with Dpean that in a lot of cases, considering the current environment there, they will add to the country's problems not contributing to the solutions.

The issue I raised was different. I believed that for Haiti to get out of the mess it is in, it will need all its children, both those in the diaspora and those living there. The reason is that Haiti's greatest assets are its people. To reach that objective, the people in the diaspora will have to cooperate with the people in Haiti in the efforts to solve the country's problems the same way you mentioned Jews around the world are doing with those in Israel. But, if those in the diaspora cannot get along with those who are still living in the country, the necessary unity to work towards the solutions to the country's problems will be a protracted affair, to say the least. The young relative's statement highlighted for me a growing problem of misunderstanding between the two parties that is alarming. Its seriousness is that if we do not trust each other, it will be difficult for Haiti to concretize your motto:"L'Union fait la force."

All the people in the diaspora do not need to be in Haiti to contribute to its development, as indicated by Dpean. But, they will need to cooperate with those in the country by making available to them their investment dollars, their purchasing power, their intellectual property, their overseas experience and their lobbying capacity on behalf of Haiti. One of the greatest assets of Israel, to go back to the example you gave, is the ability of people of Jewish religions in the USA and Great Britain to lobby for it in those countries and in front of international organizations. For similar to happen for Haiti, we must be able to cooperate with those in the country. That is why the people who are teaching history in Haiti should provide for the young the circumstances that caused the growing number of Haitians in the diaspora, and, also, emphasize for them the importance and the role the diaspora can and want to play in the development of the country. In this respect, the politicians, who are widenning the schism between those in the diaspora and those still living there, are currently doing a disservice to Haiti.

J-M.