Brooklyn Event for "Notes from the Last Testament"

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:58 am

I guess you have not tried desperately enough.

What do you mean by "they would not let me order it" ? What kind of book seller would that be?

I went to amazon.com and sure enough, you can buy the book new and you can buy it used, from a number of resellers. Try this link:

Notes from the Last Testament

(at this time there are 51 books available -- and that's just going through Amazon.com!)

The book has (predictably) generated some passionate customer reviews. You can read them here: Customer Reviews

I gave you the direct links, but really all you have to do is to go to amazon.com and type in "michael deibert" in amazon's search engine box, and that's it! What is the problem then?

Whether one likes the book or hates it (it's entirely your choice!), I wish we would all restrain from dissing the author on this forum, if for no other reason than he is a member of this forum. Nothing prevents you from buying the book, reading it, and then critiquing it. You can give it a great review or a very bad review, as you see fit. That is everyone's personal choice! But it makes no sense at all, as far as I am concerned, to take advantage of a post, clearly written by the author himself, to make a sniper attack on his book.

Leave your pro or anti partisan feelings about Jean-Bertrand Aristide aside for a minute, and make an objective evaluation of the book, for the factual errors that it may contain and for the factual truths that it may reveal.

This is just a book, folks. A few factual errors are not going to invalidate the entire book!! Some verified facts are not going to automatically turn the book either into the Gospel of Mark, Luke, John, Matthew, or Judas. Stop insulting the author gratuitously and read the damn book OR NOT! No one is going to force you one way or the other, but let's have a more enlightened intellectual discourse.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:40 pm

Well, I am glad you found the link. I just could not understand how you could say that they (amazon.com) "would not let (you) order it". That did not sound genuine.

As far as the book is concerned, I am not passionate about it, for not having had the time to read it yet. But I am tired of sniper attacks, just plain and simple. If after you read the book, you want to take the author to task for having written let's say a piece of trash, then by all means, you are invited to do it here on Windows on Haiti. But your critique should be based on your reading of the book and not on hearsay about it.

That's fair, isn't it? And that is not predicated on any alleged passion for the book, which is not mine in any case. I have read a couple of chapters so far, but my schedule is so hectic that I may actually not find the time to finish reading it until I retire. Unfortunately, I am simultaneously reading 10 other books, and sometimes I honestly don't know which book to pick in the few minutes that I have to spare before falling out from exhaustion. To make matters even more challenging, my good friend Hypollite Pierre just sent me his monumental-looking book, "Haiti: Rising Flames from Burning Ashes - Haiti the Phoenix". I have corresponded with Hyppolite for years (and I have also corresponded with Michael Deibert) and I wish I could swallow their books like a large pill, so I would know instantly everything that there is to learn from their books. Unfortunately, that technology is probably a couple hundred years in the future. I do spend a fair amount of time driving alone from point A to point B though, and I wish ALL BOOKS would be digitalized in MP3/WMA format for listening via an IPOD like device. The technology is here. Why the heck don't they do it?

Anyway, I disgress. The point I was making though is that it was quite transparent that you wanted to take some cheap shot at the author when you posted your original post as a reply to his. That is what I was objecting to. I do not believe that you were sincerely looking for a link that was extremely easy to find by plugging in the book title or the author's name in any web search engine. Let's be real. Furthermore, you just betrayed your real intention once again by writing: "I believe that factual errors are ok and do happen but not when thay are used to serve a political agenda. We have the right to our own opinions but not to our own facts. Haiti can not afford poor journalism." That tells me that you already are seriously prejudiced about the book that (perhaps, just perhaps) you will read... You say that you will judge for yourself, and that's the very best attitude. Do judge for yourself, my friend. When you do, please report for us on this forum. Whether your judgment is favorable or unfavorable does not truly concern me. I would just like people to report their findings, good or bad, instead of just repeating attacks on the book or the author that they have read elsewhere or heard from some other party.

Finally, you say that "Haiti cannot afford bad journalism". On the surface, I would agree with you, but to tell you the truth, the United States cannot afford bad journalism either, and we are all drowning in a sea of bad journalism these days. This is how we got involved in this war in Iraq. Incredibly bad journalism is greatly responsible for that. I could cite many other cases. The American people seem to have fallen in a comatose state since the events of 9/11, perhaps even before, but particularly since then. So, I agree with your remark about Haiti, but I just happen to think that the entire world cannot afford bad journalism and that's what we have had for the most part. The consequences have been disastrous.

Does Michael Deibert stand out as a stellar example of bad journalism? Well, read the book and let us know. But it would not hurt you to at least try to read it with an open mind.

Ah, my passions!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:36 pm

Harvard, I take my hat off to you for your ability to read a 435 page non-fiction book so quickly. Se devore ou devore liv sa!

On April 11, three days ago, you were desperately looking for the book, as Amazon "would not let you order it." So the next day, on April 12, I gave you the precise Amazon.com link, so you could hopefully order it, read it and make your own opinion.

That evening (April 12), you responded thus:

[quote]I found the link now. Thank you!
I see you feel passionate about this book.
I believe that factual errors are ok and do happen but not when thay are used to serve a political agenda. We have the right to our own opinions but not to our own facts. Haiti can not afford poor journalism.
I will judge for myself. [/quote]

I then encouraged you to do just that, like this:
"Well, read the book and let us know. But it would not hurt you to at least try to read it with an open mind."

That was the night before last.

And now, you have not only found the link and procured the book, you have also read it in record time. I HAVE TO TELL YOU THAT I TRULY ENVY YOU FOR YOUR QUICK READING ABILITY. Such speed truly blows my mind. How do you do it?

Nevertheless, you have now given us your informed opinion. I could not ask you any more than that. I hope others will follow your example.

One phrase in your review intrigues me though:

[quote]I won't have time to play the smoking gun to check all the factual voluntary errors and I don't think the smoking gun will... I wish somebody could do that so that authors taking on foreign governments would be more accountable in the future.[/quote]
I don't quite understand that "smoking gun" business. Could you please elaborate?

Anyway, Harvard, it's about time that I start reading more of the book, myself. I just wish I had your kind of speed.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:50 pm

Well, you are an amazing fellow. No wonder they call you Harvard.

Leonel JB

Post by Leonel JB » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:28 pm

My question to Harvard is, Did you buy it from Amazon? Because, it takes me always 4 to 5 days to get my books!!!
I wish that I could get my orders so quick...
leonel

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:49 am

Harvard,

I was telling a friend of mine about your prodigious capacity for reading and for making your own judgment based on what you read. He said "Wow! This guy reads almost as much as I do. I am feeling the heat... I don't feel so safe any more, reading only five books a day."

His name is Princeton by the way.

Then something occured to me, and I would like to run it by you. Princeton does not have the time to come to my forum. But you certainly do because, unlike Princeton, you don't read five books a day. So I am going to ask you to do Ann Pale this great favor: why don't you, let's say for a week, tell us each day the three books that you have read. That would make you a good citizen of Ann Pale, because people would come to the forum every day that week, just to find out which three books you read on any given day.

And perhaps, just perhaps, you will forget how much your reading of Michael Deibert's book thoroughly disgusted you. Unless you decide to read it again...

By the way, I did not ask you the same question as Leonel, because I had already figured out that a good soul would get you the book before you would actually spend money on it. After all, it's not everyday that one advertises his inability to buy a book from Amazon.com. Surely, someone would come to the rescue.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:26 pm

My name is not Guisantano (read more carefully).

Would you mind quoting me on how I am defending Michael Deibert's book. I dare you. I triple dare you.

If one person goes out and buy the book for each one of your sniper attacks, the book will do well indeed.

I don't believe in defending or attacking a book which I have not read.

Which is more than I can say for you.

I created this forum as a place for an honest exchange of ideas. You have not been using it as such.

After supposedly reading a 435-page book in less than a day, you came up with less substance than was already divulged right here on the pages of Ann Pale. You could at least have tried to come up with something new, or some quote from the book that probably is no longer in your hands (or is it?)

As a forum moderator, don't you think that I would be happy to see a real debate about "Notes from the Last Testament" other than a series of cheap shots?

Finally, bear one thing in mind: many people on this forum use their real names. Others choose anonymity, even some fancy sounding usernames. It's all o.k. by me. But with anonymity, should come at least a certain sense of responsibility.

I challenge you to do better, Harvard.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:48 pm

Harvard or June, get real! There are over 12,000 posts on this forum, most of them political. Do you think that the members of the forum have just learned about the coup d'état in Haiti and its terrible effects? Just what do you think we have been doing for the past three years, before and after the coup?

Why don't you read our opinions on the coup d'état, if that truly is your concern? Why are you clearly obsessing over a particular author while you have not produced a single quote from his book? If you think that it is so important to bring him down, then take the time to "play the smoking gun", as you say. I would not stop you. I would not "unlog" you. But whatever you do in life, do it with honesty and the hard work that's required.

Whether we are talking about manatees (thanks for the link, now I know what a manatee looks like), the coup d'etat in Haiti, the war in Iraq, the riots in France, the genocides in Rwanda and Darfur, the killings of Haitians in the Dominican Republic, or how many angels can fit on the end of a needle, intellectual honesty is our most valuable asset. Depi ou vini nan voye monte sèlman, tout moun ap konnen sa.

[quote]Are people aware on this forum of what is really happening in the jails and slums of POP.[/quote]
Harvard, why don't you just read what has been written already, just to know whether we are aware or not.

I have moderated this thread as far as I could. Beyond this point however, it would be a waste of time. Let's step up to the next level.