A dialogue on Politique de doublure, its many

Ezili Danto

A dialogue on Politique de doublure, its many

Post by Ezili Danto » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:41 am

A dialogue on politique de doublure, its many facets and the puppets and puppeteers.....

In Windowsonhaiti post, at "What are the Results", Charles Arthur posts [quote]...If the reactionaries have been forced to admit that they are not going to get the Presidency, then I fear they are fixing to rig the Parliamentary results in their favour. Is anyone paying any attention to the Senate and Deputy elections????????????????....[/quote]

Jaf writes[quote]...I doubt if Lespwa had an overwhelming presence in the Parliament, the "internationals" would have been so cordial with him. So, yes, they are likely counting on giving seats to the IRI funded "parties" and we risk finding ourselves exactly where we were in 1997-98.

Like I said, Haitians had better learn how to pray with their eyes wide open.
Dancing the victory dance does not mean to forget there is a real struggle to be fought...The enemy is smiling but cannot be trusted.

Veye yo !
http://www.haitiforever.com/forum/viewt ... 3854#13854
[/quote]

I second that motion Jaf, we should "pray with eyes wide open." I hope with "eyes wide open" and as an advocate for Haitian rights, someone on the ground is paying attention to the Parliamentary results and have a plan for unity that will be in the interest of those masses who just voted, not just foreign interests. For, our detractors are starting out with much more than they had in 1994 right now, they've had an election-under-occupation, no matter that Haitians, like others around the world under tutelage, have proven, they still won't succumb, and have repudiated the Washington Consensus.

Those who struggle to bring the law into application in Haiti, must keep their eyes open, and necessarily understand that the repressions are still i
n place, no matter the hopes renewed.

Believing in self-reliance means we shall overcome. For the recent February 7th Haitian election was indeed a repudiation of the coup d'etat, a repudiation of the wholesale US/Canada/France disenfranchisement of the Haitian majority in their own land.

To place the the Haitian election within the global picture of recent elections, I refer again to Robert Kuttner's Feb. 4, 2006 article "A more democratic world rejects Bush's globalism."

[quote] "The good news: Democracy is breaking out all over. The awkward news: The more that people freely vote, the more fervently they reject the global designs of George W. Bush and the America he projects.

In the Middle East, the people have freely chosen two governments that could not be more a repudiation of Bush's vision for the region, nor more alarming to broader hopes of peace and stability -- Hamas in Palestine and President Mahmoud Ahmadineja
d in Iran. Even in Iraq, whose election was held under direct American tutelage, our preferred henchmen were decisively ousted.

In Latin America, voters in Venezuela, Brazil, Bolivia, and most recently Chile, have chosen governments that are social-democratic at best and caudillo-populist at worst. Mexico, where a popular radical, Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, leads all polls, is probably next. Some, like Chile's new president, Michelle Bachelet, are admirable, others less so. But none supports Bush's vision of corporate globalism.

America was once a universal beacon. Ever since America asserted global leadership in the mid-20th century, people around the world have expressed nothing so much as ambivalence. . . . Until lately, global public opinion, on balance, respected America. Enter George W. Bush. He offered the worst possible combination of strategies -- unilateral swagger, combined with loudly proclaimed promotion of democracy. Should anyone be surprised when the democratic elections pr
oduce a string of repudiations?" http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editor ... globalism/

[/quote]

So Haiti has rejected Bush Globalism and elected another Lavalas Movement President, what is still to be faced and overcome? Besides, that is, the fact only Haitians will have the heart, determination and interests to develop a non-dependent Haiti.

The long Haitian struggle has gotten some breathing room. But, as HLLN pointed out, the day of the elections:

[quote]
The current application of the doubluture idea, as articulated by Haiti Chamber of Commerce chairman and Haiti Democracy Project's Reginald Boulos, would be to allow a Rene Preval, who has a mass base and constituency to be a figurehead, an administrator, while real power is wielded by the Neocon-chosen Prime Minister in the interests of said Haitian minorities and their foreign IRI/USAID/CIDA/European Union-sort of forei
gn backers. http://www.haitiforever.com/forum/viewt ... 3774#13774
[/quote]

Kapwa Lamò has already shown what outgunned, outnumbered Haitians do when shot at, by cannons and overwhelming firepower over and over again. As the people of Haiti once said in a Haitian demonstration against the occupation and coup d'etat:

“Si yo tire sou nou, yo pran. Si yo pa tire sou nou, yo pran” - “If they shoot at us, they are doomed, and if they don't shoot at us, they are doomed; they cannot win”.
http://www.sfbayview.com/030905/doomed030905.shtml

Bring on the struggle. One day, perhaps not in my time, but one day we shall walk freer. Today there's more hope than there was yesterday. And that's precisely because of those young men and women in Site Soley, Bel Air, Les Cayes, Gonaive, Cap Haitian, et al, over 10,000 who just made the ultimate sacrifice, giving their life and those who supported resistance and repudiation of the global designs
of IRI/Bush and insist their ballots must count. But, we know Haitian history, know the powers-that-be. The press will go home again, as they've done before. The mainstream media light will stop shining on us soon. Then what? Business as usual. Who will be standing with the movement against debt, dependency and foreign domination, then?

For, even if there's no second round and Preval takes office, even as many who sat observing as by-standers or just indifferent now try to "win the victory," we would want to remind the world of the political prisoners, who paid for another mass Haitian vote, with their liberty; who still are wasting in jail, we shall want to remind the world of the blanket criminalization of the people living in the poorer areas, always identified as “slums' code always for “without human dignity”; we would remind the world of the need for equal application of the laws and for respect for Haitian domestic development. Still pray, eyes open for Haitians to start, looking outw
ards together and raise their voice for the political prisoners' release; for release-to-schools and families of the forgotten Haitian children in indefinite USAID-built detention centers; for equal application of DDR-Demobilization, Disarmament, and Reintegration? I mean for even disarmament of owners of small arms in LaBoule as well as Site Soley?

Ohh, forgot, too political!!! How about a national dialogue on these issues and supporting Haitian self-reliance with individual initiative having nothing to do with the government?

Hyppolite

Post by Hyppolite » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:34 pm

I think we all have good reasons to focus on the Parliament. It is pretty clear that the majority will go to the former Lavalas opposition. We should focus on how many seats LESPWA and Louvri Baryè for instance will get.

These issues to me, make it even more important for a much more cohesive left. Rather than fighting on the streets around vital issues, the Haitian Left should learn from these past mistakes, and form a much broader coalition under a party structure.

What we have thus far in Haiti, from the right and the left, are political machines, NOT political parties. It's a very serious problem, especially for the Left that has a great disadvantage from the get-go, from the point of view that they tend to poke each other's eyes for no serious reasons.

Let's face it, any and every modern political party has a right, a left, and a center. It is through cons
ensus and debates that the best course of actions can take place. How about structuring better so next time around, LESPWA for instance won't have to forego whole departments (like the West in this case) to the opposition? It would be vice-versa of course but the right has to figure out how they're gonna play politics on their own.

I am even more convinced of that, considering how crucial the next 2 years are going to be for this presidency. A strong anti-Preval Parliament will make it much more difficult for him to make inroads, unless he has a wide support among the left (hard or soft left). By the same token, what had happened recently between Haiti Progres and Batay Ouvriye makes me more convinced that a more intelligent approach to politics by the left is necessary, if they really wish to help the vast majority of the Haitian people to move from poverty to much better living conditions.

Michel Nau_

Post by Michel Nau_ » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:05 am

Jaf wrote:[quote]The only thing I would add to this exchange is the importance of developing Haitan-centered, Haitian-run and Haitian-financed political parties. But, one of the most important laws that need to be passed and inforced in a free Haiti is one to bannish the funding of political parties by foreign governments.[/quote]
Our activist brothers and the rest of us are the first to violate this idea of self-centered, self run; self financed political parties in Haiti.
It's almost impossible!! Because we share the same struggle with other countries. We need to communicate, we need to share ideas on how to fight the establishment, we need to support each other financially, and morally, and we need to rally in groups for a common goal, and sending common messages out.

Therefore we can not isolated ourselves and be self-centered, self-financed, self run political parties.

What we can do is to continu
e to do self evaluating, self directing, and self improving our political parties. We can not let outside organizations influence our decisions as a party through excursion trips to Dominican Republic, financial support etc...
As Jaf, Arthur and others have been doing is to continue to practice a “Watchdog Politic” A politic of “veye yo” but without “avilissements and dénigrements”.

Jaf wrote: [quote]Regardless of how they try to spin these elections, it is obvious that the people of Haiti are still functionning in "Rezistans" mode, when in fact we need to arrive at a stage where political parties win or loose elections based on the appreciation of their well-piblicized program. [/quote]
The Rezistans mode does not have to be the political parties' level, which could create an antagonist system of politic where the most influential parties or well-pub
licized program would take credit.
Sometimes a well-publicized program is most of the time on paper, but short in action.

The Rezistans has to be National, like in Venezuela, or Cuba, a common cause for a common nation.

Jaf wrote:[quote]Preval's win represents the reaction of the people to the racist coup d'etat of 2004. [/quote]
I did not have any idea that Aristide's departure was a racist decision by the international Community! Common Jaf!! Enough of “limin e vante dife!! Jaf you shall overcome racism!!
It's time to move on my brother!! The fight is against poverty!!
Jaf wrote:[quote]But, these foreign forces do not have to pay the consequences of that strategy which is a total loss of credibility of the entire political class associated in the coup - even the formerly respected figures on the left. [/quote]
Yes indeed!! Someone is finally doing his mea culpa. Yes the left
with "un coup de force" elected a conservative party in Canada at the expense of a liberal.
This kind of punishments from the left to their own needs to stop!!

This is a new beginning folks!!
Let's enjoy it in peace!

Michel

Hyppolite

Post by Hyppolite » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:03 pm

It's not all said and done yet. They're still trying to get / force a second round on Preval. Go look at the numbers as they're trickling in. Based on the total Preval got on 5 departments, his overall percentage is, by my medicore calculation, close 49.91 percent.

You better go and find out where the HDP crew is in Haiti before you think there won't be a second round. Notice that they haven't posted anything new on their website since late yesterday; they're using their enormous influence among the antilavalas class among US policymakers to try and apply the Liberia solution to Haiti. Except that Haiti is no Liberia.

Watch out guys!! It ain't over yet.