Framing a Positive Pro-Immigrant Message

admin
Site Admin

Framing a Positive Pro-Immigrant Message

Post by admin » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:47 am

I know that it will not be possible for most Windows on Haiti visitors or Ann Pale Forum members to attend this conference on "Immigrants Rights: Framing the Message". However, in the next few days, I would like to hear from you.

Please do the following:

Write a message that you would like to pass on to the Federal and State Governments (New Jersey, Florida, New York, ...) with respect to Immigration Policies as applied to Haitian immigrants and Immigrants' Rights in general.

Also, if you have some thoughts on how we should articulate the needs of our immigrant community for maximum effect and positive returns, please let us know.

I value your input greatly an would like to receive it ASAP.

Best,
Guy S. Antoine

Hyppolite

Post by Hyppolite » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:11 pm

Guy,

How much will the Haitian community in New Jersey benefit by coming to this symposium? In fact, we could even go further. How will our Diaspora community in the United States benefit from participating at this and other symposium of this kind?

I think many among us may be more willing to come if we know for sure, how much our participation at this symposium will benefit us.

Best,
HP

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:09 pm

Hyppolite,

I am glad you asked the question and I wish I had the time right now to answer it fully. However, I am pressed to summarize my thoughts for the time being.

I presume that we all know some "illegal aliens". For the most part, they look like you and me, they speak the same language. they share the same culture, they frequent the same houses of worship, they send their children to the same schools, they work hard to put food on the table, they (in short) are Children of the same God... but with an important difference: they wake up everyday, thinking about their status and knowing that they are classified as "illegal aliens".

That perception might soon change, my friend, thanks to the United States Congress, and for the most part, we don't even know it: Ignorance is bliss...while it lasts.

Soon those "illegal aliens" will be designated as "CRIMINAL ALIENS", with all the consequences that flow from the dist
inction between those two simple words: "illegal" and "criminal". And it's not only they who will be affected, but all those who deal with them in a humanitarian way, since they will be seen as aiding and abetting hardened criminals.

We can, of course, count on the Haitian community to react in protest (at least those who dare) AFTER THE FACT. When you will ask them "how come we did not hear your voices before?," they will sincerely tell you: "We did not know this was happening... or perhaps we thought it was happening to someone else."

Some are celebrating already: just as one example among hundreds, see http://www.vdare.com/mann/051219_hr4437.htm

HR4437 is not the only anti-immigrant bill that is being discussed (or in this case, already passed by the House of Representatives). Later this month, the Senate will tackle its own version and reconcile it with the House's own HR4437, and present it to the White House for signing into Law.

You think we'
ve got it bad now? Wait until later. The participation of community leaders and caring indivuduals could have an effect in that we would at least see the storms before they hit and take enlightened and preventive measures. In the present climate when anti-immigrant sentiments are rising fast and furious, we could possibly learn how to use the media to frame a positive pro-immigrant message in "this land of immigrants".

Or we could do nothing, wondering what's in it for us...

I hope that your post will stimulate finally some discussion on this topic.

Guy

From an ACLU memo (http://www.aclu.org/natsec/gen/22371leg20051207.html)
[quote]H.R. 4437 also would erode even further the basic rights of immigrants to judicial review, even by the constitutionally-guaranteed writ of habeas corpus. H.R. 4437 would criminalize all violations of immigration law, with very serious consequences for genuine refugees and others who qualify for humanitarian relief. Finall
y, H.R. 4437 gives extraordinary powers to detain non-citizens indefinitely without meaningful review, potentially placing many non-citizens in a legal black hole that subjects them to a life sentence after having served a criminal sentence, or, in some cases, without ever having been convicted of a crime.[/quote]

From the New Jersey Immigration Policy Network (http://njipn.org/publications/publications.htm)
[quote]How draconian is the new Act? Some provisions include: (1) all undocumented and out-of-status immigrants living in U.S. would be considered criminals; (2) courts would no longer have the authority over many immigration matters; (3) immigrants and Green Card-holder permanent residents would no longer have most of the due process rights that U.S. citizens have; (4) deportation would become faster and easier; (5) definition of "alien smuggling" would now include family members, employers, immigrant advocates, religious organizations or even a citizen spouse w
ho help or aid the undocumented; (5) rules on mandatory detention would be broadened so that many more immigrants would remain in jail indefinitely (already thousands of them, including refugees and asylum-seekers, are languishing in New Jersey's federal and country jails); (6) military operations would enforce a 700-mile fence along the Mexican border; and (7) the traditional Diversity Visa lottery to invite 50,000 immigrants each year from across the globe would be abolished.[/quote]