First Annual Haitian Jazz Music Festival

admin
Site Admin

First Annual Haitian Jazz Music Festival

Post by admin » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:03 pm

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:24 pm

Very quick notes I sent to a friend of mine after going to the First Annual Haitian Jazz Festival:

[quote]It was the best evening of Haitian music I have ever attended. Most everybody was fantastic. However, I enjoyed most: 1) Buyu Ambroise; 2) Mozayik (I have seen them perform at least 5 times before, and yesterday's performance was by far their best - due in no small measure to the addition of some guest musicians [3 vaksin players, one very young and extremely enthusiastic (a tad too much) but very talented saxophonist named Jowee Omicil, an excellent bassist called Bobby Raymond, etc... Mozayik was jamming like you've never seen them before); 3) Emmeline Michel was fantastic; not only for her singing, but also for her quite revealing top (nobody seemed to mind, but you can guess what every guy was looking at during the entire performance: a simultaneous pleasure to the eyes, ears, and soul!) She is the Haitian J-LO,
I guess; 4) Beethova Obas and his sidekicks were also at their most exciting. It started at 8:30pm and did not end until 2:30 am.

You missed the biggest and the baddest show ever!

I was hoping to see you. You could have come practically at any time of the night and still would have enjoyed a good show.

I only decided to go at the last minute, but am I glad I went ! ! !

Guy [/quote]

admin
Site Admin

Note from Mozayik

Post by admin » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:31 pm

[quote]
To: <news@mozayik.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 5:13 PM
Subject: First Annual Haitian Jazz Festival

Greetings,

On behalf of the members of Mozayik, we would like to express our deepest gratitude to Papa Jube Altino and the entire staff at SOBs for the hard work, dedication and behind-the-scenes preparations that went into making the First Annual Haitian Jazz festival such a spectacular and resounding success. We were truly honored to be able to share the stage with such a remarkable line-up of Haitian musicians, who each brought their unique talents to share with those lucky enough to have been inside SOBs on Sunday night.

To those unfortunate fans who were not able to secure tickets in advance or gain entrance, it is our sincere hope that this event marks the beginning of a new era of support and appreciation for the
Haitian jazz genre in all its shades and variations, and that there will be many more such events to come, in NYC and beyond. The time has come.

Let the resounding success of this event serve as testimony that there IS INDEED a most appreciative audience, ready to come out in support of events such as the Haitian Jazz Festival.

To Buyu Ambroise & The Blues in Red Band, Eddy Prophete & Band, to Reginald Policard, Richard Barbot & Joel Widmaier, to Boulo Valcourt, Beethova Obas, Emeline Michel, Jowee Omicil, Wyclef Jean.... to ALL the musicians, who in the words of Papa Jube, "blessed the stage" on Sunday, our deepest respect and admiration. To the many many other musicians who deserved to be included in this lineup, but due to budget, time & space logistics, were not able to be included, please know that this was just the beginning.....

Exclusive photos from the event can be viewed here:

http://mozayik.com/photos/

[/quote]

Carline

Post by Carline » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:32 pm

The Jazz festival was indeed a great experience. The acts were all fantastic and even after hours of performances I was left wanting more :-) My favorites moments were: Mozayik's performance of Caravan, Joel's performance of Deside'w with Reginald Policard, Emeline michel of course :-) and Boulo Valcourt's performance.

Alix Buyu Ambroise

Post by Alix Buyu Ambroise » Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:17 pm

Onè,

What a night! I think everyone in attendance at the First Haitian Jazz Festival would agree that it was a momentous spectacular, and well planned event. So many Haitian jazz artists under one roof is a rare treat. I congratulate Jube Altino (SOBs), Gashford Guillaume (Mozayik), the artists, and most importantly, the audience for making this festival a success.
The musicians in my group Blues In Red join me in thanking all of you for your support, love, and dedication for the music that we play. Without you we couldn't have been there.
Please support Windows On Haiti for doing a herculean job in keeping up and diffusing the best that Haiti's artists have to offer.
Looking forward to next year's fest!
Peace,

ALIX BUYU AMBROISE

Liline

Post by Liline » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:00 am

This is something that definitely needs to be supported, I think it's a terrific idea. :D
I regret not being able to make this event, but as long as it's during the same time period next year, I should be able to make it for the second one:D