A survey of musical tastes...

Guysanto
Site Admin

A survey of musical tastes...

Post by Guysanto » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:57 pm

Please, respond to the survey above as it will assist in current development. In addition, please answer any or all of the following questions :

What do you think of our selections?

Who is / are your favorite artist/s in the current display?

What artists would you like to see featured in Winterludes?

Which music (disks / artists / selections) would you go and buy today if you could?

Which artists have you discovered or re-discovered through our website?

Any short or extended comment on the Haitian Musical Industry?

Any short or extended comment on our Haitian Musical Heritage?

Any comment relevant to this effort to offer the public a non-commercial window to some of the best that Haiti has to offer?

Thank you and happy listening!

Guysanto
Site Admin

Post by Guysanto » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:28 pm

Ah! I am overwhelmed by the number of responses... ;-)

Don't rush, anybody... I know how much you really care.

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:30 pm

Let me address two of Guy's questions:

[quote]Which music (disks / artists / selections) would you go and buy today if you could?

Which artists have you discovered or re-discovered through our website?[/quote]

This past year I bought a Carimi album [Are You Ready? (2006)] and four Manno Charlemagne albums [Best of Manno Charlemagne - Le Visionnaire (2006); Les Inédits de Manno Charlemagne (2006); Manno et Marco (2004); Nou nan malè ak òganizasyon mondyal (1992)] and RAM's Puritan Vodou (1997).

It was thanks to WOH's Winterludes Haitian music collection that Guy has made available to us that I was reminded of Manno's incredible voice and meaningful message and was introduced to RAM.

Thanks, Guy.

Marilyn

Guysanto
Site Admin

Post by Guysanto » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:51 pm

Somehow I knew you would be the first one to comment, Marilyn. I also expect a response from Serge and another from JGPalmis down the line (those are my guesses, by the way, or call it my intuition).

I am glad that the Winterludes page has been useful to you, Marilyn. I think that you will appreciate this fact: Of all the features of Windows on Haiti, this is the one that has caused me the most amount of work (design and coding) over the years and also the one for which I have received the least amount of feedback (by far). Hence the frustration, sometimes...

One day, however, I was invited to speak at a local Haitian youth (college age) radio station. I accepted with pleasure and I have been back on their radio show a few times. The big surprise??? Inside the show animator booth, they used a PC with the browser targeted squarely at "Winterludes" and used my design for the musical animation of the entire two-hour show. Seeing my astonishment, the host then told me that they always used "Winterludes" in this way for their show. I was able to verify that every time I visited thereafter.

That made me quite happy. But among natif natal Haitians and adopted Haitians, it often takes a "Marilyn" to be the first at expressing appreciation and encouragement.

Thank you for that, and you are very welcome!

Serge

Post by Serge » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:01 am

Hi Guy,

I am only now responding because I have been a bit busy these last 2 few days and only tonight am I taking the time to read these posts. Look at the time I am posting this.

No need to tell you I enjoy Winterludes and in fact I promised you some time ago some CDs that should enrich your collection. As far as the questions you ask, well, you know my taste is very diversified and I will kind of pass on answering them. What I will do is to send you some brand new sound that you can post, some new artists that I am sure very few people know about, so that this radio station can also have acess to these new artists.

I promise you in 2009 that I will systematically look for some new stuff that you can post on Winterludes.

One thing I would like to ask you though. You have to click on each song for it to play. Is it possible to have continuous play or choose 3 or 4 different songs to be played one after the other. I do not know if that is possible, but that is the only observation I would have.

In conclusion, long live Winterludes and keep up the good work!

Serge

Barb

Post by Barb » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:25 pm

Alas! My sound card died some months ago. I am putting a child through college and a lot of stuff is on deferred maintainance.

Jgpalmis

Post by Jgpalmis » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:21 pm

The selection is great. Thank you for exposing me to other trend of haitian music. Good for my culture!

In terms of Artist to be featured what about Belo, What about "your choice" of a Rap Kreyol album. Barikad Crew, Rockfam etc

I like it a lot Santo

Palmis

Guysanto
Site Admin

Post by Guysanto » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:42 pm

Hey, Mr. Palmis, my intuition was right. I will soon add Belo. As for Rap Kreyol, I need to be introduced to it myself. I confess to being behind the times.

Serge, I will entertain the possibility of letting one listen to several songs from the same artist or even establishing Winterludes's own net radio. However, that would be a whole new undertaking.