Can Haitian Food Really Enhance Sex?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:34 pm

The Boston Connection Magazine

By: Karrie Ann Jean

If anyone asked David Cange, owner of Fritay Restaurant, what makes his restaurants so successful, I bet he would hesitate to give you the secret of his business.

Pass by Fritay Restaurant on River St., in Mattapan some evening and you will see what I mean. Lines of cars park along the street, people from all ethnic backgrounds waiting in line to buy their favorite plate of Haitian food. This food that seems to have everyone commenting includes choices of Fried Pork (Griot), Fried Beef (Tasso) ... my personal favorite, Goat (Kabrit), Fried Plantain, Fried Potato, Vegetable/Meat Dishes (Legumes), Rice and Beans (Du riz ak Pwa) and much more.

Many have attempted to attribute David's success to his reputation as a Haitian/Creole TV anchor at Tele Diaspora (the most popular weekly Haitian television program) and as a radio announcer on Haiti Diaspo-Inter.

But to tell you the truth, David Cange's food has a distinct taste.

During the last ten years, Haitian restaurants have taken on a large expansion. There are nearly twenty Haitian restaurants in Boston.

Among the most popular are Fritay Restaurant, Bon Appetit Restaurant, Ideal Restaurant, Las Vegas Seafood Restaurant, Whitney's Restaurant and Rond Point Restaurant. The expansion of these restaurants is probably due to an increase in popularity among other ethnic groups, especially with white Americans. The Chinese restaurant owners in the Dorchester and Mattapan sections of Boston are reporting set backs because of the demand for Haitian food.

People choose to eat Haitian food for many different reasons. One of them is the taste. The meat is boiled in order to cut down on the amount of fat then cooked (well done) with an array of natural spices. I do not know if it is the spices they use or if they have special leaves, but no other food has a flavor like theirs. Yet another reason is the service. The waitresses and other customers are always smiling and delight in trying to teach me new Creole words. They make me feel like I am right in my own dining room.

To explain why Irish native Paul Sweeney and his wife, both of Quincy, visit a certain Haitian restaurant very often, the couple vowed that sex is better after eating Haitian food.

After being married for eight years, Jessica Scott claimed to have had her first orgasm after eating a Haitian dish called Baga. "I eat here a lot! My sex drive has skyrocketed since my husband first brought me here," said Jessica.

Celebrating his victory of becoming a State Senator, Brian A. Joyce sat down with his Haitian friends at Ideal Restaurant, to enjoy a large dish of Haitian food. It may be what is giving him the energy to do such a great job representing his constituents.

An Italian American from Hyde Park was overheard making reservations for his entire family to return to Las Vegas Seafood Restaurant. When I asked him why, as a white man, he would want to bring his family, he said, "I was working in Hyde Park and tried some Haitian food for lunch. After I discovered that the food was so savory, I brought some home for my wife.

Since then, everyone in my family has fallen in love with Haitian food."

The Boston Connection Magazine has plans underway to conduct a Haitian food festival to give more people an opportunity to discover this new flavor in town. Meanwhile, if you are in Boston or in any major city, find a Haitian restaurant near you. I doubt you will be disappointed.

admin
Site Admin

Say what?

Post by admin » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:32 pm

[quote]To explain why Irish native Paul Sweeney and his wife, both of Quincy, visit a certain Haitian restaurant very often, the couple vowed that sex is better after eating Haitian food.

After being married for eight years, Jessica Scott claimed to have had her first orgasm after eating a Haitian dish called Baga. "I eat here a lot! My sex drive has skyrocketed since my husband first brought me here," said Jessica. [/quote]
What is "baga" ? I never heard of it!

Leonel JB

Post by Leonel JB » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:34 am

Baga is Bèga or jenjol (I think from thre north) made from grenn bèf!

There are some foods which really can make a difference in one's life!!

Perhaps, it is more psychological!!!

leonel

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:21 am

Thanks for clearing up the mystery for me. Of course, I knew of JANJÒL, from early on in my childhood, though I have never had the opportunity to consume it. I'll keep it in mind though, when the sex drive begins to falter. Perhaps a trip to the North (Boston or Cap-Haitien).

Seriously, I never knew of the word "bèga" as synonym of "janjòl". Is it called that way also in the North? or which other part of the country?

I also did not know that one could find janjòl made here in America? Where do the restaurateurs get their supply of bull testicles??? I did not think that they would be readily available in the market. Can individuals also buy it to cook in their homes?

I find these questions interesting because they point to the persistence of culture that surmounts all sort of cultural barriers. In this particular case, I would not think that in the U.S., there would be a trade in bull testicles, because the production of beef is automated and mechanized down to a science. When is the last time you actually saw a live bull on an American farm? I live in New Jersey and I often drive by vast cattle farms in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and New York. Always, I see an uninteresting variety of cows, leading a particularly dull existence: they just eat their way to the slaughterhouse. Never will you observe them having a little "let's get on with it" kind of fun. The bulls are never there. I only see them occasionally on TV.

If cows were lesbians, at least there would be some redeeming factor in all that apparent dullness. But I do not think so. They just eat, eat, eat. Any thought of "sex" would probably drive them mad. I think that's what may have happened over there in England.

So, now that you realize the truth of what I am saying, that is you have never seen a live bull in the U.S., you may wonder: where do all those steaks come from? From cows, dodo! But, but... ok, let me tell you about the birds and the bees in the field of cattle raising.

When a cow has babies, they may turn out to be male or female, of course (though I would not at all be surprised to find out that the farmers have steered what used to be the natural process of reproduction towards the full speed production of "la vaca" over that of "el toro". In any case, the potential "toros" or "bulls" are targeted for quick processing as veal on your favorite Portuguese restaurant plate. They never mature long enough to even think of renting an X-rated movie, let alone do you know what.

But there are a lucky few that escape the marsala or parmigiana selections. And when I say "lucky", you have no idea to what degree. Those are the actual sperm producers. That's their only job. But even then, it's not as exciting for them as you may think, unless they happen to be on some super-organic farm where they actually let them be responsible for some of the processing. Otherwise, they are "milked" like your average Jane cow. Now that very special milk gets handled carefully. It's way too precious to leave it to chance in some refrigerator somewhere on a cattle farm in Pennsylvania. You never know when Mrs. Farmer or little kids Farmer might get thirsty in the middle of the night. Perish the thought! No, that milk instead is sent to a sperm bank. Then, it is handled in a rigorous, scientific, mechanical, automated process for exponential distribution. When I say "exponential", I really mean it. Do you ever wonder why cows look so much alike? Thousands of them have the same father, whom they will never see.

So, a few bulls get milked until they die from exhaustion. The idea of heaven, for some guys you may know. But for the bulls of North America, I doubt that the job is all that glamorous. I think that they should start to unionize.

So, that being the case of beef production in the U.S., I wonder where the supply of bull testicles comes which goes into the making of baga in Boston restaurants. Hmm... if it were in Florida, I would have no trouble imagining where they came from. These Floridians know how to import just about anything! But, I wonder, are Bostonians just as resourceful? Somehow, I doubt it. They lack the invigorating effect of the tropical sun that makes a Jean-Marie Florestal, for instance, so resourceful in organizing an Ann Pale reunion on a shoestring budget. So, unless there is a secret bull market along the way of I-95, I wonder...

Whatever those crafty restaurateurs in Massachusetts end up using in their soup, however, one cannot question the results. It's worth recalling the story of Jessica Scott. After being married for eight years, Jessica Scott claimed to have had her first orgasm after eating a Haitian dish called Baga. "I eat here a lot! My sex drive has skyrocketed since my husband first brought me here," said Jessica.

Now, there's a happy customer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She probably did not even mind using her real name. There's someone who will be a rock-steady customer of specialized Haitian food in the Boston area. And if the word of her orgasmic discovery gets around, I see a rosy future for Haitian restaurateurs all over America.

Leonel JB

Post by Leonel JB » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:13 pm

Guy, Guy, Bega a te nan figi w la, ou pat wE l!!!

I used to get my soup of Bega in South Orange. I can't remember his name now. But, he used to play for Club St Louis. He was selling bega at the Haitian soccer Game. If you go to the Haitian tournament in Orange or Newark. Check with Jacques Maignan, he will tell you who is selling Bega.

I bought a couple of soup for my wife, because she wanted to taste the famous Bega! She was very satisfied, the soup was also very Pike (spicy)!
Anyway, I am sure that I will let you know my bega's dealer when I'm back to the US this summer!!!

Remember also, people, These foods are very fattening cause they are very high in calories. Therefore, you need to keep exercising a lot to avoid the number one and notorious silent killer named Cardio vascular disease (high blood pressure, cholesterol etc). Control your daily calories intake...

leonel

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:23 pm

Now, Leonel, is it possible that the daily calories intake may be balanced by the increased sexual activity?

One may choose to lose calories in all sorts of ways...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:05 pm

Ah, I better add it to the menu of Ann Pale's restaurant, along with Jean-Marie's favorite "mayi ak sòs pwa", and Widy's lanbi.

A la bèl fèt la pral bèl nan pwochen reyinyon an!

Guy [oh, I long to be in the 6:00 club, always] Santo

Leonel JB

Post by Leonel JB » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:30 am

Se madanm nou sElman ki ka bay nan kilE egwi a ye. Si li sizE, oudimwen, sizE senk, dis, kenz ou edmi... Gen de fwa, lE sa pa mache, se egwi segond lan nou itilize. Kidonk, nou pale lOt lang!!!

Sa se pawOl granmEt la,
leonel

Yanique_

Post by Yanique_ » Fri May 05, 2006 3:47 pm

Does anyone have the recipe? I've heard something similar, people from Texas eat bull's testicles as a delicacy, and in the Middle East people eat ram's testicles. I confirmed this information with my Turkish friends. They claim that it's supposed to have the same effect. But there's one major drawback, just like any other organ meat, it's very high in cholesterol.

True, there are some foods that can make a difference in a person's physical health, not too sure if it is Bega, Bull or Ram testicles but from what I've heard, spicy food enhances blood flow to the right places. I must assume that's why people from south of the border are less frigid, and we know how much Haitian people love their Pickliz.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri May 05, 2006 10:35 pm

[quote]spicy food enhances blood flow to the right places[/quote]
The stock on Haitian food just went up another notch.

Perhaps, this is the perfect time to get into the restaurant business: Haitian food = better sex = fewer visits to your therapist = saves the customer's money. As for the restaurant and catering owners, they are going to get as busy as ever.

As long as the supply does not dry up, that is. There are only two testicles per bull, you know.

Thank you for letting me know why I love so much pikliz on my bannann peze, by the way. The body craves for certain foods even when the mind has not caught up with it yet.