Haitian food and Diabetes

Caroline_

Haitian food and Diabetes

Post by Caroline_ » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:19 am

My husband and I are planning a few weeks in Haiti and I am faced with the challenge of diabetic meal planning in Haiti.

eeks! I have no idea where to even start. We have to keep the carbs down so that cuts out white rice, mayi moulen, ... fruits are okay but limited. whole wheat, high fiber breads? Can't remember ever seeing a whole wheat roll in Haiti. LOL And what sorts of things to take for snacks?

So far, I've packed glucerna, sugar free jellos and a few things like that. But I'm pretty lost and really need some good ideas!

Help!!!

Serge

Post by Serge » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:50 pm

Dear Carolinaislands,

I think there are plenty of groceries stores where you will find sugarless products. I have seen plenty of that. You may take some items with you if you want, like Splenda sugar in packets, Equal etc, but you will find that in Haiti. You will also find sugar free cookies, fruits like apples, bananas etc.

What I would really advise you to do is to take with you a few bottles of water, for the first few days at least, even though they might weigh a bit in your luggage. You have to be careful with drinking water there and I would recommend that you always drink bottled water. In restaurants, ask if the ice cubes are made with bottled water. You can also ask for Perrier water or something similar.

There are some upscale grocery stores where you will find much of what you need.

Serge

Serge

Post by Serge » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:59 pm

Carolineislands,

I forgot to mention to you that it would also be a good idea to take with some medicine like Tylenol, sugar free sore throat lozenges, coricidin, things like that, so that you can have on hand something for a cold or a headache.

Serge