Haitians in Miami

Michel Nau_

Post by Michel Nau_ » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:06 pm

Empress wrote: [quote]This incident caused fear and stopped traffic in North Miami (PetionVille) and I 95 for hours. Last night, a promising UM football player, Bryan Pierre Pata was shot dead in the parking lot of his apartment in Kendall (South Miami aka Duvalierville) he was one of 9 children and his parents are both Haitians. I mourn for the fear and the loss caused by these incidents. [/quote] We thank you Empress for keeping us inform on what is going on in Florida; especially in Miami area. I feel sorry for Bryan Pierre Pata who had his dream cut short. I watched him play a couple of times. And the last time was against FUI. He was going to get drafted as a professional ball player. One of his teammates plays for the Washington Redkins.

Empress, the designation of Kendall, South Miami as”Duvalierville” is it because the area Haitian population is composed mostly of former Duvalierists or because the area is at a lower scale/class than North Miami (Petionville)??

Empress wrote: [quote]No one from the Haitian selected (mis)leaders came forward to make any kind of statement to the community anywhere. They were not around to reassure anyone or to mourn and help to heal anyone. This has got to stop.[/quote] They are no where to find when you need them!! We need to teach our elected politicians to behave like public servants. Their constituents elected them to serve their community. I hope they will listen to you Empress.

Michel

Empress Verite

Bryan Pierre Pata and Haitians in Miami

Post by Empress Verite » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:14 pm

Sak Pase Michel?

Thanks a lot for commenting on the Bryan Pierre Pata (By the way they seemed to have anglocized their name. The father's name is Junior Pierre which the news media (primarily WSVN-7 Miami spells as Pierr and he is very Anglophone. Perhaps a Haitian Bahamian. I can hear his Haitian accent but it's subtle and he acts very Anglophone. He shows no emotions. The mother on the other hand whose name is Jeanette (Pierre or Pata?) was completely despondent. Completely like Haitian women behave when they loose their kids (at least the ones who care) She speaks with a strong beautiful Haitian accent. (I don't really care but I am a social scientist so I observe) Bryan and his brothers are all dreads so you know I care even more. In addition, they seem so nice and well mannered he would have made the Haitian community proud with his success in the NFL. He played every game as a startup linebacker. Everyone says that he was very talented and you know that around here UM is not an easy school to get into. Apparently the person who shot him did so out of spite and jealousy for his success. I cry inside even though I did not know him or his family because I have 3 sons who look like him and I know that they are at risk of being victims of that kind of senseless violence. Even if he owed money the person could have waited a few more months! Moun sa yo mwen pa gen lan fen poum ta voye yo if you know what I mean.

North Miami was designated Petionvilled awhile ago. There's a sign that says so just like we have a Dessalines Boulevard near Opa Locka somewhere. So I call that area and North Miami Beach Petionville. It is very representative too because you have sprinkles of light hues Haitians and up and coming Haitians of other hues. Duvalierville was a term that Terry Rey told me since he live(d?) there about 8 years ago. In my experience it is appropriately named for all of the reasons you cited. Those Haitians are Duvalier lovers especially the son and they act like it too even now.

I have not heard of any such designations about other parts of the US where Haitians live. Anyway, there's only one Little Haiti in the US so far as I know and its in Miami. And in that area is also representative of the various regions in Ayiti. For instance, most of Littlr River seems to be populated by Haitians from Leoganne. That's the area near Biscayne and Morningside on the Upper East side. There's a lot of rjuvenation going on in that arera and the'yre kicking out the Haitians.
Other areas from around the 70s on the North East side and 2nd avenue seem to be populated primarily by folks from Gonaives. The Bahamian Haitians and folks from Port de Paix outpopulate everyone else in that area at least from the mid 50s and NE 2nd. (That's what I've seen and been told by folks who have lived here for decades.) Some folks from Au Cap live on the Cuban side in Little Havana. And of course there are lots of 2nd generation Haitians and 1.5 on the African American side in Liberty City.

The credit Union used to be called Little Haiti Credit Union but it was changed a few years back and renamed The People's Credit Union. I felt betrayed because it stood right there on 62nd and NE 2nd as a landmark that one was entering the heart of Little Haiti. The Haitians in charge gave in to pressures to diversify even though others were not following along. Various institutions in Liberty City and Overtown are named for African Americans for instance one is the African American cultural center or something. But the Haitians are not having the same freedom. It took years to finally get the Toussaint statue put up on NE 54th near Liberty City (and it was sculpted by an African American if I am not mistaken. I think that it's nice but more for a home or backyard not for a street. It's unassuming and kinda small.) And then the Haitian market place near Mapou's store has still not been revitalized! It's been a decade! Leonie Hermatin was trying to get the Haitian market place set up which would have helped to recycle Haitian dollars in the community but it was blocked. A new park and community area was supposed to build awhile ago when money was allotted by the city but it's still not up and no ground has even broken. And what about the Haitian health clinic so us Haitians can stop going to Borinquen and Jackson and other places to suffer from racism, classism and ethnocentrism and colorism? Still not built and its been years! Our lawmakers are not effective and many of them are lawyers. They should put up lawsuits. HAFI began to put up festivals which I had proposed to the Mayor of North Miami about 5 years ago when the Haitian fellow had just been elected. I went in and spoke to his administrative assistant (this dread Jude's ex wife, they used to play in this band at Tap Tap) and she did not say anything.) Everyone else in the are celebrated their ethnicity. The Cuban elected officials speak in Spanish and give props to their ethnic groups EVERYTIME but those of us in high profile positions sometimes tend to shy away. I don't expect to see anymore festivals because HAFI seemed to have been shut down. We were driving along Biscayne and 53rd a few months ago and there was a for rent sign in front of that office in the new trendy spaces in that area. The rent is so high that business shut down often.

Hope that helps. I'm sure that Jim or Tidodo can help you more since he is more inside this whole thing than me. I don't go out much and I dont' know those folks at all.

Best, EV

Empress Verite

El Portal, Morningside and Other Suburbs in Miami

Post by Empress Verite » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:51 pm

Michel:

I forgot to mention El Portal and Miami Shores. These 2 as you may know are very residential areas on the way from Little Haiti to North Miami. They are populated mainly by upper and middle class professionals (mostly whites.) However, Haitian professionals have made serious headways there. And many Haitian women have been elected in various positions in El Portal. And Miami Shores still has many Haitians too. The houses are family size with huge yards but not as big as those in North Miami and North Miami Beach.

Other Haitians professionals tend to live in Miami Lakes too. And outside of Miami, there's Pembroke Pines and areas in Broward like Miramar (for the well to do). Affordable housing is scarce.

Best,
EV
Best regards,

Empress Verite

Big Bryan #95

Post by Empress Verite » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:31 pm

Z:

This story is getting a lot of play in the local TV news in Miami. In fact, it was picked up by MSN also a couple of days ago. It's really sad especially since he was shot in the back as he turned away from the person with whom he had been arguing.

Anyway, there's a memorial service for him at UM on 11/15/06 at 1PM. I guess a lot of folks will attend to pay their respects.

Best regards,
EV

Michel Nau_

Post by Michel Nau_ » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:24 pm

Thank you, Empress for keeping us inform on what is going on in Florida which looks more like an extension of our mayhem Haiti. Bryan Pierre Pata's dead is a sad story that could have been avoided.
Zanfanginen wrote: [quote]I didn't know the Bryan Pata was from Haitian heritage. It's a shame to see a promising player's life cut short due to senseless violence. All my prayers to his family.[/quote]
So did I, Z! I have the impression that after more than 4 decades of Haitian connection in the Bahamas, I can say with certainty that more likely half of their population is Haitian heritage.

Pitit se rishess e baton pou sipote gwanmoun!!
This is why we need to protect our children to make sure that they wouldn't be involved with the wrong posse.
He was a treasure and a winning lotto ticket for his parents, his 8 brothers and sisters and for all his fans. He was the million dollar man that went in smoke. Literally, in gangster's language.
He was “smoked by another black brother”.

One incident that still stays in my mind is a University of Maryland basketball player called Len Bias who was drafted by the Boston Celtics and signed a 30 million dollars contract. The same night, he dies from a drug over dose.
It takes a village to educate our children.
I remember when time, I was skipping school almost everyday to play soccer until I get caught by one of our neighbors that was walking by one day and saw me completely wet.
He hauled me by my ears and he drake me all the way to my house while kicking me in my butt and singing “Min bon foutbol nan dada w, a laj w, se lekol pou ale”.
I thought that I will never get caught. I was wrong. The future reveals that didn't help me out that much. I didn't become a professional soccer player, or an academician, nevertheless, I am still alive.

Too often, misfortune like this happens to our black student athletes who are not protected by their parents and their coaches to teach them how to handle success, and how to go through this transition period from student to professional ball player.

Pitit se rishess nou!! Proteje yo pou sosyete shen anraje sa yo pa manje yo!!

Michel