Haitian Evangelical group bought a closed Catholic church

Gelin_

Re: Another Catholic church sold to a Haitian evangelical gr

Post by Gelin_ » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:40 am

[quote]I find the whole thing an enigma. Besides the evangelicals were Catholics, I am wondering where do those people who work for so little money get all that money to buy those churches.[/quote]
Nekita, it should not be an enigma to you at all. Protestant or evangelical churches are organized and managed in a very different way compared with catholic churches. They (in most cases) have a very strong sense of community and the leadership is accountable to the whole congregation. The pastor in charge can be called by the chruch's committee for anything unclear that seems to be going on. He has to answer and explain himself.

When it comes to putting money together to do something that can benefit all of them, then all of them contribute willingly (when they understand the whole picture). At the end, the building or whatever they purchase b
elong to all of them. That sense of participation can make any small protestant church eligible for a big loan from any bank. And they can pay the mortgage as agreed.

[quote]Knowing so many needs in the community,should I be concerned about Haitian protestants buying churches? It's mind- boggling.[/quote]
As a catholic you can be concerned because this is a sign of the decline of catholicism among haitian immigrants in that specific area. Other than that, there is nothing complicated about the whole thing.

gelin

Gelin_

Re: Explaining my concerns

Post by Gelin_ » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:08 am

Nekita:

Of course I took the time to read your post. I just wanted to bring some light from another perspective.

[quote]It seemed that Gelin, you never heard of the breaking up of the churches over money and ownership and control. [/quote]

I kow quite a few stories like that. It's common.

[quote]You go to most Catholic churches in July or in December, you will see a detailed financial report of the money and expenses incurred over the year, but one doesn't see that in any weelkly or monthly, or yearly financial reports in Haitian churches in the many churches. I have seen financial reports in Haitian Catholic Brooklyn churches.[/quote]

I know that many protestant churches commmunicate and discuss their financial statements during what they call "réunion des membres". That's when they discuss other important issues also. The idea is that n
on-members do not necessarily need to know everything that's going on inside the church.

kenbe la,

gelin

Anacaona_

Post by Anacaona_ » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:33 am

Nekita said:
[quote]...In other words before I got I kicked out, there used to be $48.00, $75.00 in the Sunday collections. When we collected $100.00, 148.00 in Mass attendance of 200 people, we would say there was an improvement. How do those protestant pastors get low paid workers to contribute all that money to buy the churches. [/quote]

I would like to ask some question.

Do they teach people in catholic churches to pay tithes?

Do they teach them about the importance of giving offering to the church, for God's service or do they just contribute as if they were given to charity?

From a personal point of view, when people in the street or at school are collecting money for any purpose, I never give more than $1 when they ask me.

Anyway, if the catholic church do what we call in Creole "Kolet", then, the members won't contribute. In the protestant churches, they members give offerin
g of thanksgiving and they pay tithes. Therefore, the financial aspect of the church should be different than that of a catholic church.

Anacaona!

Gelin_

Post by Gelin_ » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:42 am

Just an example, Nekita.

Years ago, I met a young lady who was a christian somewhere in Plateau Central. She didn't have money to stay in school but she was willing to learn a bit more. A friend of mine was also moved by her desire and together we contacted the pastor of a small church she attended. The man emptied the church's saving just for that sister to be able to spend one more year inside a classroom. She expressed her need, we asked and she received. When the goal is clear and people are motivated, they give willingly and joyfully.

" Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. " (2 Corinthians 9:7).

gelin

Gelin_

Re: Appreciate your comments

Post by Gelin_ » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:06 am

[quote]...Since most of you were Catholic at one point. You may come back. The saints, Mary or other beliefs that made you leave, we can (un)learn together. Okay[/quote]

You must be joking, Nekita.

A lot of protestants have already retourned under the vatican, and some are in the process of doing so. Nothing will be unlearned, as you seem to wish. Rather, these teachings will be re-learned because the vatican cannot and will not change its teachings. Otherwise, the pope would have to un-beatify those previous leaders who have spread those ideas through the centuries. Can't do that. It won't happen.

gelin