The Afrocentric Christian

jafrikayiti

The Afrocentric Christian

Post by jafrikayiti » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:11 pm

Has the Black Church hijacked our African Spirituality turning it into a means to control us?

http://www.blackwebportal.com/wire/DA.c ... cleID=1602

(The author is Minister Paul Scott. minpaulscott@yahoo.com )

A while back, a Sista rolled up on me with a laundry list of complaints about the Black church. Her voice quivered as she ran off a list of concerns from the failure of the Black church to address social problems to the number of young Black men who go from the church pew to the prison cell. Unlike many Black folks who point the finger at the church as a scapegoat for the millions of problems facing Afrikan people, this sister was sincere and wanted not only answers, but action; now!

When I say the Black church, I am not talking about a little building where Sister Sara goes to get her praise on every Sunday morning, rain sleet or snow. Nor am I talking about a congregation that takes what little they have to feed Bro. Ricky who hasn't had a job in five years and mentors little Tyrone every day after school. What I am referring to is an institution that was set up by a white supremacist system, using a Eurocentric theology for the purpose of keeping Afrikan people spiritually, mentally and physically enslaved.

So, I am not talking about a collective expression of spirituality nor individual acts of goodwill but the systematic trapping of Afrikan spirituality within the confines of a building and the relegating of the daily expression of reverence to the Creator (Elohim)into a weekly, one hour ritual.

There can be no denying the fact that 'Christianity' was forced on African people in order to carry out the African Holocaust/Maafa (Transatlantic slave trade)and the Black church was used as an agent of social control to carry on the slave legacy on the spiritual and mental level long after the physical chains had been rendered obsolete.

In elementary physics class, we are taught that an object in motion tends to stay in motion. Therefore, the Black church has not much deviated from its original intent, which is to control the actions of Afrikan people by using a few Eurocentric religious symbols that will create predictable responses shown in the action of Afrikan people.

This is best exemplified by a recent statement that I heard from a white reporter commenting on a presidential candidate using Christianity as part of his campaign strategy. The reporter mentioned how important religion was to the people of the South, especially black folks. I can see political candidates preparing their agenda, 1) go to a Black church 2) Say Jesus loves you 3) take a picture in front of the cross for the media 4) eat a piece of fried chicken and bounce. Since we have been conditioned to look for a white Messiah this is usually enough to get us to go out in the cold and rain to vote for such a ‘god fearing man.'

Many in the older generation had to accept this religious manipulation for several reasons including the fear of death at the hands of white racists and the fear of being ostracized by friends and family members for forsaking the slave religion i.e. plantation theology. Also, it must be remembered that in earlier decades many black folks could not read and had to depend on a preacher to tell them “thus sayeth the lord.” many of whom were agents of the white supremacist system either by ignorance or by choice.

Today, this slave religion has produced rebellion and confusion in the Hip Hop generation whose access to information and ideas far surpasses that of previous generations. When the slave theology meets Hip Hop philosophy the results are often catastrophic, a generation trying to find god using the methods of the oppressor.

Is it hypercritical to blame the young folks for making religious martyrs out of slain gangsta rappers, when the church has made saints and religious icons out of popes and preachers who either condoned white supremacy and the enslavement of Afrikan people, or refused to take a stand against it? Is it hypercritical to blame the younger generation for worshiping a god who blesses them for advocating Black-on-Black crime, and disrespecting Black Queens with Grammy awards and private jets, while the Church has worshiped a god who has rewarded the murderers of Afrikan people with political offices and billion dollar corporations? The religion of Hip Hop is not a result of the practice of an African spirituality, but the mirroring of a Eurocentric religious concept.

What we must never forget was that the religion that Europeans call Christianity was taken from a spiritual system practiced by the Black Hebrew Israelites of Northeast Africa including Yeshua, the Black Revolutionary Messiah, who was transformed into the blue eyed, blond haired ambassador of white supremacy, 'Jesus Christ' by the European.

There are many Black folks in the church today who call themselves ‘Afrocentric Christians' only for lack of a better Afrocentric term, and recognize that the Bible is about a group of African people who suffered oppression and their attempts for FREEDOM and reconciliation with the Creator (Elohim). They also realize that the term 'Christian' is a European term meaning 'of the anointed one' and that the term used by the Original Black Hebrew Israelites was 'Messianic'.

The catch-22 facing the 'Afrocentric Christian' is that they are caught between a religion of white supremacy, that exploits them, and an Afrocentric community that rejects them. Unfortunately, many in the Afrocentric community have chosen to discount Church folks and criticize their religious practices, instead of seeing them as allies in the struggle, and helping them find the Afrikan Liberation Spirituality within their own religion, thereby giving them a theological foundation for Afrikan Nationalism. After all, the first religion started when the first human being (in Africa) tried to praise and understand the will of the Creator. All religions stem from that. No religions has a monopoly on African Spirituality.

So the Messianic Afrikan Nation has taken on the mission to organize those Brothers and Sisters who accept the teachings of the Bible, but reject the Eurocentric Nationalism that poses as Christianity; those who follow the teachings of Yeshua but reject the figment of the white man's imagination, the white ‘Jesus Christ.' We are currently asking our Afrikan Brothers and Sisters across the world to join us as we develop chapters to put into action our Messianic Afrikan Nation's 7 Point Program and to teach the TRUTH that will make our people FREE.

(Min. Paul Scott represents the Messianic Afrikan Nation in Durham NC. To join the Messianic Afrikan Nation contact: (919) 949-4352 minpaulscott@yahoo.com Website: http://members.blackplanet.com/THE-MYD)

jafrikayiti

Post by jafrikayiti » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:28 pm

The above article is one that I find interesting and very timely for, i am facing an important challenge as a young parent wanting my kids to grow up free from ewopeyanizazonbifikasyon maskerading as religion.

Returning from a few weeks vacation from "Christian" relatives, the kids have learnt a number of "Jezi" songs that are interesting for the great improvement they bring to their spoken Kreyol, but negative for the anti-African and white supremecist messages often conveyed in these protestant songs, either overtly or indirectly. Needless to say "le miracle de la foi" was one of the favorite movies in the house where they spent the Summer. As you can imagine the devils in these movies are always featured with brown or "black" skin and the angels with pink or "white" skin.

In 2007 can people of African descent afford to let so much garbage enter the precious brains of their children. I am glad to see the author of the text above link the garbage coming from a confused hip hop generation with the garbage their parents and grandparents had no choice but to absorb. But, in 2007, surely we can do better that this... Your thoughts on the subject please comrades...

Jaf

jafrikayiti

Post by jafrikayiti » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:41 am

see also:

Min. Paul Scott vs Sean Hannity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6Oq8AcZW_g (video)

White Jesus, White Lies and Black Liberation
by Min. Paul Scott
http://truthminista.blogspot.com/2006/0 ... black.html

Min. Paul Scott blog
http://www.truthminista.blogspot.com/ (text and videos)

Barb

Reality is often stranger than fiction

Post by Barb » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:30 pm

http://www.globalsouthanglican.org/index.php

When I hear the phrase "Afrocentric Christian", what comes to mind is the rather fascinating schism that is in process in the Episcopal Church, where White American conservative priests and congregations are rushing to place themselves under the jurisdiction of Anglican Bishops from African countries, because the African Bishops are much better educated and are truer to the tradition of the Episcopal Church than the current American bishops, who want to cast everything in terms of a power struggle over homosexuality.

So the shoe is currently sometimes on the other foot.

jafrikayiti

Post by jafrikayiti » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:14 pm

Hi Barb,

Actually, i went to the web link and read some of the exchanges, including the letter Bishop Spong wrote to the Bishop of Cantebury and the comments it inspired. It would indeed be strange to see American Anglicans (including White American individuals and churches) flocking to African Bishops as a result of the Homosexual issue. But, i would not hold my breath that this "flocking" would be anything more than temporary and very strategic. The fact is those churches are on their way to close shop altogether in North-America and Europe. I give them one or two more generations. There are simply too many incompatibilities between the social norms espoused by the bulk of these societies and the first century text the older generation (which by definition is on its way out) considers to be "word of God".

For instance, if biblical authority is being used to condemn homosexuality - a very easy task - the same can be done to support the practice of racial slavery and the subjugation of women etc...

Now, the Afrocentric Christianity, Minister Paul Scott was referring to is something altogether different, and I presume, these folks have managed to developed their own Afrocentric bible. Or, they may simply have developed differet inerpretation of who is really an Israelite. In any case, i want nothing to do with this very vengeful and partial "god" who has chosen people (I don't care if the ancient Israelites were black or off white) for whom this "god" would stop the sun in its track in order to allow his gang of land grabbers to slaughter their victims.

Obviously, this brand of "theology" is pecfectly alright for folks of a few centuries ago, but in 2007, one G.W. Bush here on earth is already plenty.

Jaf

Gelin

Re: The Afrocentric Christian

Post by Gelin » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:49 am

[quote]...When I say the Black church, I am not talking about a little building where Sister Sara goes to get her praise on every Sunday morning, rain sleet or snow. Nor am I talking about a congregation that takes what little they have to feed Bro. Ricky who hasn't had a job in five years and mentors little Tyrone every day after school....[/quote]
Paul S. did not explain the above actions but simply dismissed them as somewhat irrelevant so he can build his case. If the theological base is so skewed, as Paul would like to portray it, why is it that there are many black churches and black ministers who do their best to take good care of their own people (as in the example given above)?

gelin

jafrikayiti

Post by jafrikayiti » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:35 pm

Gelin wrote:
[quote]If the theological base is so skewed, as Paul would like to portray it, why is it that there are many black churches and black ministers who do their best to take good care of their own people (as in the example given above)?[/quote]

Could it be that these churches and ministers do these good things, because of the very natural human "good" that is in them? Why would the "theological base" have anything to do with that.

Dr. Martin luther King's "mother Church" was against the "good" he was doing. Father Jean-Juste's Church was, is and always will be against the "good" he is doing - unless he'd decide to shift to lend support to the oligarchy.

I understand what Bishop Scott was saying by this sentence very clearly. As the son of an Episcopalian priest who saw how father tried to build a better school in a remote part of Haiti, only to be told by the big guns in his church that these illiterate people of his parrish do not need schooling beyond literacy level....and later the priest who replaced my father who started doing a lot of "good" in the area - but only because he managed to bypass the hiearchy and work with other congregations as well as "le monde".... I can tell you that "theology" has nothing to do with what little good does come from organized religion. Human beings are simply naturally decent beings. If provided the opportunity, most of us try to help our fellow man.

at least that is my current theology and I am sticking with it - until Osiris or Jesus (who ever comes first) returns!

Jaf

Gelin

Post by Gelin » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:19 pm

[quote]Gelin wrote:
[quote]If the theological base is so skewed, as Paul would like to portray it, why is it that there are many black churches and black ministers who do their best to take good care of their own people (as in the example given above)?[/quote]

Could it be that these churches and ministers do these good things, because of the very natural human "good" that is in them? Why would the "theological base" have anything to do with that...[/quote]
If you ask them, I bet more than one will say they were inspired by the example and teachings of Jesus (and the early church, why not?).

Now, on the flip side of your reply, <I>could it be that these churches and ministers do these wrong things, because of the very natural human "bad" that is in them? Why would the "theological base" have anything to do with that...</I>

[quote] As the son of an Episcopalian priest who saw how father tried to build a better school in a remote part of Haiti, only to be told by the big guns in his church that these illiterate people of his parrish do not need schooling beyond literacy level....[/quote]
If you dad is still alive today he can easily say he wanted to follow Christ and try to love his neighbor as himself - something his opponents cannot and will never be able to say.

gelin

Nekita Lamour

Xavier University Black Catholics Program

Post by Nekita Lamour » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:09 pm

The Afro Christian article was quite interesting. Xavier University had had a program geared to prepare Catholics from all ethnic backgrounds for a deeper understanding of Catholicism through a Black perspective for over half decades now. If ministers understand the Black Catholic culture, they will be able to better evangelize Black Catholics.

Check out the website below. Read the commencement addresses. You will see Father Cyprian Davis's address. He is a Black Catholic historian scholar .

The program has been in existence since l984. Unfortunately Haitian Catholics- both priests and laity have not attented it as much as they should. I believe if this generation of Black Catholics in the United States are worshipping in the African tradition, the Church won't have to worry the second generations of Haitians ,Africans, or African American Catholics joining the Pentecostal/Evangelical groups. For that matter Latino Americans also. Growing up in the Catholic church while living in the United States, the problem with most immigrant churches not only the Catholics is that you have ministers, priests, pastors, using the same evangelizing practices that they are familiar with in their country. Many of those priests or pastors from Third World countries don't have training to evangelize brethren living or educated in First World countries. In other words, their methods are not up to date with the culture here. They are wandering why young people and professionals are not part of the ethnic churches.
If you have completed 9th grade in a western country, it is very hard to attend the immigrant churches whether you are Catholic and Protestant.

As far as the African American church is concerned, the Black church is not too involved in helping or preventing all the violence and poverty that affects Black folks here. If one is familiar with James Cone, a Black protestant theologian, one might wonder if the pastors have ever heard of not alone read James Cone.

In any event , that Afro Christian article is an eye opener. Thanks for sending it and look at this Xavier website.

http://www.xula.edu/IBCS/

jafrikayiti

Huge dilemma for Africans raised in neocolonial Christianity

Post by jafrikayiti » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:31 am

Nekita raised this issue recently on the Corbett list, and i thought I'd share with fellow Annpaleers, this contribution I have just made to the ongoing discussion:

[quote]“A belief in fatality removes all blame from the oppressor; the cause of misfortunes and of poverty is attributed to God: He is Fate. In this way, the individual accepts the disintegration ordained by God, bows down before the settler and his lot, and by a kind of interior restabilization acquires a stony calm”. Frantz Fanon The Wretched of the Earth (Evergreen Black Cat Edition, 1968, p. 54)[/quote]

The challenges facing a son or daughter of Africa who has been raised in this neo-colonial environment where Eurocentric superstitions have the upper hand are many, they are rather sizeable, yet not insurmountable.

First, there is the issue of knowledge of the history of the Judeo-Christian beliefs, the historical context in which they were invented and, in some cases, their connection to older traditions, including African ones (Ancient Egypt, Nubia etc…), from which so many elements have been plagiarized and then Europeanized beyond recognition.

There is also the lack of knowledge concerning the actual roles played by various Christian sects (Catholics and Protestants) in the MAAFA (the 600 year ongoing persecution of Africans, the plunder of their land, resources and relentless warfare against their culture).

It is not coincidental that, every Sunday, over a billion sons and daughters of Africa worldwide continue to kneel in front of a portrait of Leonardo da Vinci, convinced that they are worshiping a universal GOD albeit one who must - for some reason - be always represented “white” any and everywhere.

How many Haitians are aware of the techniques used by père Fauque de cayenne or Père Labbat during the colonial period to try to subdue the revolted Africans and make them accept racial slavery as the divine order?

How many Haitian Christians know that the boat which British (zenglendo) Queen Elizabeth I sent with Hawkins to kidnap Africans for the British empire - making a fortune for both Hawkins, the Queen and the host of parasites who live in the same court - was named THE JESUS? (Is it not strange that we all know about the crimes of Adolf Hitler, but so little do we know about those of Elizabeth, Napoleon and Jefferson?)

How many Haitian Christians know and understand how crucial the role that white supremacist christian teachings played in maintaining racial slavery in place in the Americas for as long as possible?

And, when the modern African (displaced or otherwise) does find out the truth about the anti-self Eurocentric superstition s/he was made to embrace from childhood, what alternatives does s/he know are available to her or him....? Would she recognize the negroid Isis with Heru seating on her lap, even from the Egyptian exhibit inside the Vatican itself? Can this ancient image help her differentiate the real thing from the copycat or is it too late? Would the gaze of ASAR (Osiris) the great Black, from the glass box in the Louvre tell her or him that her own Black African ancestors, deified for the magnitude of the feats accomplished here on earth are indeed more ancient and worthy of praise the those foreign names listed in the book said to be of a Moses who looks nothing like him or herself?

There are a host of psychological, economic and political ramifications that come with this situation.

When Africans (whether displaced or still on the continent) begin to produce a multitude of quality literary works in the languages spoken and understood by their people (Kreyol, Wolof, Kiswahili, Zulu, Xhosa….), then and only then shall we begin to break these mental chains that have been so cleverly and methodically put in place by the criminals who have been attacking our people relentlessly for the past 600 years (from the papal bull of Nicholas V to Ratzinger et al.).

As reported in Brian Stevens' Haitian Times article, unlike my compatriots Joseph Augustin, Nekita and others, I do not believe Christianity can be salvaged for the conscious African. It has been perverted beyond repair. Haitians need to rescue their brains before it gets to be too late. See: http://godisnotwhite.com/AtiksouViv.htm

I discuss in more detail some of the reasons why such is my conclusion in “Viv Bondye Aba Relijyon” (Praise God, down with Religion), which is now available online for less than 3 dollars.
http://www.lulu.com/content/1728817

(It is entirely in Haitian Kreyol, for reasons discussed above. However, for those who do not understand Kreyol but who would nonetheless be interested to know what topics are covered in the book, I have attached below translations of the various chapters.)

Manno Charlemagne sings, “m se Ayisyen, koman m ta fout fè kretyen?” (I am Haitian how could I also be Christian?) When we have a Haitian financed and Haitian-focused Education program, young people graduating from High School in Haiti will be asked to write dissertations on such profound statements rather than repeating senseless pronouncements made by dead racists Frenchmen like Voltaire, Napoleon and Montesquieu. I am sure this is not the kind of reform Sarkozy is about to discuss with President Préval when he shall no doubt sully the land of Dessalines in the coming months.

----------------------

VIV BONDYE ABA RELIJYON
(Praise God, Down with Religion)

CHAPIT 1 – BONDYE (God)
Viv Bondye! 1 (Praise God)
Bondye se Manman Lavi ak Lakonesans 14
(God is Mother of Life and Knowledge)
Yon pèp Bondye pi pito? 20
(a chosen/preferred people of God?)

CHAPIT 2 - RELIJYON
Ki jan relijyon Krisyanis la debake Ayiti? 24
(How did Christianity arrive in Haiti?)
Ki jan relijyon Krisyanis la fòme? 49
(How was Christianity created in the first place?)
Èske se vre makdwèt moun fè mikalaw nan Bib la? 75
(Is it true human fingerprints are found all over the Bible?)
Poukisa Pastè ak Monpè bèbè sou dosye a? 91
(Why is it pastors and priests keep silent over these matters?)

CHAPIT 3 - L IBÈTE/ LAVE R I T E
Bondye ak relijyon se lajounen ak lannuit 115
(God and religion are like day and night)
Doub manti fè dekabès 128
(Double deceits: God is white & whiteness is godly)
Poukisa sipèstisyon kokobe Ayiti toujou? 133
(Why is it superstition continues to wreck havoc in Haiti?)
Libète – pran pou nou pran l 139
(Freedom: not given but yours to take)
Definisyon kèk mo 151
(some definitions)
Referans 154
(references)
Dokiman ak temwayaj 157
(Witnesses and reference documents)

Jafrikayiti «Depi nan Ginen bon nèg ap ede nèg!» (Brotherhood is as ancient as Mother Africa - L'entraide fraternelle date du temps où, tous, nous fûmes encore dans les entrailles de l'Afrique-mère) http://www.jafrikayiti.com