A Catholic Bishop's Ideas on Immigration

Tayi

A Catholic Bishop's Ideas on Immigration

Post by Tayi » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:03 pm

[quote]I was greeting people following a parish event, recently, when an elderly lady accosted me and said, rather abruptly, “You've got to change your ideas on immigration.” Having been caught off guard a little, I responded, simply, “That's not going to happen, ma'am, but hope you have a good day.”...

My second “idea” on immigration is that our nation needs comprehensive immigration reform. Almost no one is happy with the status quo, but the only way to address that unhappiness is by changing the laws and fixing the system. Fair and comprehensive immigration reform would include tightening our national borders, simplifying the process of legal immigration, and placing the undocumented immigrants who are already here on a reasonable path of legalization...

My third “idea” on immigration is that we have to treat the undocumented immigrants with dignity, respect and compassion. As Pope John Paul II wrote, “Attention must be called to the rights of migrants and their families and to respect for their human dignity, even in cases of non-legal immigration.” (The Church in America, #65)...

In the end, for my own guidance on the topic, I look to the words of Jesus who said “I was a stranger and you welcomed me.” (Mt 25:35) Jesus didn't talk about a “legal stranger” or a “properly documented stranger” – simply a “stranger.” And the Lord tells me that my final judgment will be based on welcoming the stranger. All I know is that when I'm standing before the Judge, I absolutely want to be on the right side of the issue. [/quote]

Read the whole piece in the Rhode Island Catholic, http://thericatholic.com/opinion/detail ... ub_id=2445

Tayi