"Barack Obama: change Haitians can believe in"? No...

Guysanto
Site Admin

Post by Guysanto » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:53 pm

[quote]...suffer the same fate as JFK[/quote]
Though this clearly cannot be excluded as a possibility, steeped in American political and racial history, I think that such fatalistic pronouncements are not helpful. Obama could have been assassinated during the primary or general presidential campaign, but he wasn't. He could have been assassinated on the day of his inauguration, but he wasn't. He could have been assassinated on any single day since, but he hasn't been. So, let's give it a rest and give humanity some hope. Let's embody that hope and make it a reality of present times, instead of constantly invoking the darkest of our fears.

The fact of the matter is that you don't know and I don't know. Let's give Hope a chance!

This is not at all to suggest that Obama's policies should not be critiqued where they must. I, for one, shall demonstrate against the apparent absurdity of sending more troops in Afghanistan, where a "victory" is strategically impossible and constitutes another hellhole for the American economy. In addition, I believe President Obama needs to show a greater overture to Cubans residing in the island, as he promised during this campaign. As for the deportations of undocumented Haitians back to Haiti, it's also up to us Haitian-Americans and Friends of Haiti to pressure the administration with this, but we should not take it for granted that the United States has no right to return any expatriate back to their homeland if they did not follow due process. We want to make sure that all Haitian immigrants are treated fairly and humanely, and given the opportunity to plead the merits of their case.

I absolutely support the granting of TPS (temporary protection status) for "the displaced" from the successive environmental disasters in Haiti (and who knows how many hurricanes might impact us during the 2009 season?) However, the government of Haiti needs to demonstrate as well what they are doing, if any, to mitigate and prevent those disasters back home. We need to remember that it is a two-way responsibility. The U.S. does have a tradition of assistance to immigrants all over the world. Haitians should be no exception, nor should they continue to be relegated to the bottom of the list. We want to be treated FAIRLY. On the other hand, we have to begin to assume responsibility for ourselves and not always expect to be rescued by the United States of America.

Those are things where we must continue the fight. Please don't assume that our activism will be defeated. If we espouse such a completely fatalistic view as the one that you stated, there would be no point in trying at all, would there be?

As far as the Gaza and Israeli occupied territories, the fight will be a lot longer than we can even imagine at this point, because of the entrenched political and financial interests. However, Israel's disproportionate responses and excessive brutality against the Palestinians as a whole are opening the eyes of many more Americans to the imbalance of our considerations in favor of Israel, to the fact that Israel is anything but U.N.-friendly, to the fact that Israel has no intention of stopping its violations of U.N. resolutions, and to the fact of Israeli's mind-boggling influence on the U.S. political class. So, even on that front, I don't think that we should give up. It is naive to think that Obama could change those policies overnight, but we should keep reminding him of the spirit of change that brought him to the White House in the first place.

More than ever, Americans need to demonstrate their hunger for change. I think that Obama may be more responsive than George Bush or Ronald Reagan would ever have been. With Obama in the White House, we have a better chance. We fought for it. But we cannot stop there. To cure an infection, you have to keep applying the antibiotic. As long as necessary.

Leoneljb

Post by Leoneljb » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:32 pm

It took GOD a few days to build the World and make changes (based on the Believers). But yet, we expect change from Obama after a few days in Office!!!
One more thing, Obama is the President of the USA, not Haiti or elsewhere. And, we all know what is going on with the Economy. I don't think that we are dealing with Superman per se.
Ann tann toujou, li pa'p pi mal k'avan.
Mare senti nou, bagay yo pa fasil di tou non.
Leonel

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:33 am

Guy wrote:

[quote]In addition, I believe President Obama needs to show a greater overture to Cubans residing in the island, as he promised during this campaign.[/quote]

Guy, one of the obscure dramas surrounding the trouble Obama had getting the Omnibus bill through the Senate last week was his standing his ground against Democratic Senator Menendez (of Cuban ancestry) of New Jersey who was insisting that measures to ease up on the economic embargo against Cuba be removed. Obama refused to cave. It took several more days and lots of negative media attention questioning Obama's ability to move legislation through Congress, but eventually the Omnibus bill passed--without Menendez.

I applaud Obama for not yielding to expediency's sake and holding his ground on relieving the suffering of the Cuban People.

What we need to remember about Obama is this: he's like an iceberg. 90% of his "oomph" is out-of-sight. Unlike Bush who never went anywhere or did anything without his publicist shouting his accomplishments from every rooftop, Obama is willing to carry on his biggest fights little bit by little bit and out of the glare of the media.

Marilyn

Guysanto
Site Admin

Post by Guysanto » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:35 pm

Good call, Marilyn!