Obama Retakes Oath of Office Wednesday Night just to be sure

Barb

Obama Retakes Oath of Office Wednesday Night just to be sure

Post by Barb » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:56 pm

Obama retakes oath of office after flub
President stumbled after Chief Justice John Roberts blundered

WASHINGTON - After the flub heard around the world, President Barack Obama has taken the oath of office. Again. Chief Justice John Roberts delivered the oath to Obama on Wednesday night at the White House — a rare do-over.

The surprise moment came in response to Tuesday's much-noticed stumble, when Roberts got the words of the oath a little off, which prompted Obama to do so, too.

Don't worry, the White House says: Obama has still been president since noon on Inauguration Day.

Nevertheless, Obama and Roberts went through the drill again out of what White House counsel Greg Craig called "an abundance of caution."

A quieter setting
This time, the scene was the White House Map Room in front of a small group of reporters, not the Capitol platform before the whole watching world.

"We decided that because it was so much fun ...," Obama joked to reporters who followed press secretary Robert Gibbs into the room. No TV camera crews or news photographers were allowed in.

Roberts put on his black robe.

"Are you ready to take the oath?" he said.

"Yes, I am," Obama said. "And we're going to do it very slowly."

Roberts then led Obama through the oath without any missteps.

The president said he did not have his Bible with him, but that the oath was binding anyway.

The original, bungled version on Tuesday caught observers by surprise and then got replayed on cable news shows.

It happened when Obama interrupted Roberts midway through the opening line, in which the president repeats his name and solemnly swears.

Next in the oath is the phrase " ... that I will faithfully execute the office of president of the United States." But Roberts rearranged the order of the words, not saying "faithfully" until after "president of the United States."

Obama thrown off
That appeared to throw Obama off. He stopped abruptly at the word "execute."

Recognizing something was off, Roberts then repeated the phrase, putting "faithfully" in the right place but without repeating "execute."

But Obama then repeated Roberts' original, incorrect version: "... the office of president of the United States faithfully."

Craig, the White House lawyer, said in a statement Wednesday evening: "We believe the oath of office was administered effectively and that the president was sworn in appropriately yesterday. Yet the oath appears in the Constitution itself. And out of the abundance of caution, because there was one word out of sequence, Chief Justice John Roberts will administer the oath a second time."

The Constitution is clear about the exact wording of the oath and as a result, some constitutional experts have said that a do-over probably wasn't necessary but also couldn't hurt. Two other previous presidents have repeated the oath because of similar issues, Calvin Coolidge and Chester A. Arthur.

Article 2, Section 1, Clause 8 of the Constitution states:

"Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28780417/

Guysanto
Site Admin

Post by Guysanto » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:09 am

He took the oath of office twice, he is twice the president, and should be paid twice as much. :wink:

This also means that President Obama II (sworn in on January 21) can think about and reverse any executive order, bill or treaty signed by President Obama I (sworn in on January 20) the day after. :wink:

Obama has the opportunity to become a real bipartisan president: one day for the Republicans, the next day for the Democrats. :wink:

I hope he swears in again today. Then he would be truly non-partisan: one day for the Republicans, the next day for the Democrats, still the next day for the independents. :wink:

... and receive 2 or 3 paychecks at the end of each pay period (what is it for presidents... monthly, bi-weekly, weekly, per diem?) and turn them over to Michelle on each of the two or three days :wink:

... so she can afford to do the groceries 2 or 3 times as much or as often :wink:

The best news about his swearing-in yesterday on the do-over was this: "The president said he did not have his Bible with him." This means that Jafrikayiti and Leonel can root for him now :wink:

... as much as Gelin and Tayi rooted for him the day before :wink:

This also means that President Obama II can be much stricter about the separation of Church and State than President Obama I :wink:

... and therefore more faithful to the Constitution of the United States that requires such separation (I think) :!:

For my part, I will take every affirmation of President Obama I with a large dose of salt until it is confirmed the next day by President Obama II who should have the last word on the matter :wink:

... unless Obama swears in one final time today, which he should do to dispel any lingering skepticism out there :wink:

... ranging from Tidodo who stopped writing on Ann Pale, when he realized that Hillary Clinton would not only lose to Obama but also accept to play second fiddle in Obama's orchestra :wink:

... to all the others who disagreed with me when I said at the beginning of the campaign and maintained throughout that Obama should put his hat in the ring "NOW" rather than wait for "his time" (indeterminate). :twisted:

Little did I know then that the Obama candidacy would yield two presidents: President Obama I and President Obama II :wink:

... one for show and one for real :wink:

Se sa Ayisyen rele DEKABÈS! M'sye pap mouri ak doub sis la nan men li. :lol:

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:26 am

Guy,

I'm still wiping the tears from my face from having laughed so long and so hard at your comical take on the swearing in do-over.

Each quip that I thought was the funniest thing I'd ever heard was followed by more that were even funnier.

Thanks for helping me to laugh about something that had actually disturbed me. I've been furious with John Roberts for robbing us and Obama of the pure joy of that moment which was the entire purpose of having had an Inauguration in the first place.

I was grumbling to myself, One last tweak from those Right Wingers!

Thanks, Guy, for helping me to ease up! :D

Marilyn

Serge

Post by Serge » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:01 am

Guy, I knew you had a fertile imagination, but I did not realize it was that fertile!

Let us wait for President Obama III in 2012 and this time, since he will be completely independent, he can name Ti Dodo to replace Patrick Gaspard at the White House......

Serge

Guysanto
Site Admin

Post by Guysanto » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:58 am

I don't know, man. Tidodo would only work for a Clinton. I hope that Obama III would not make that mistake. If he did, we would have to review Tidodo's communications at the end of each day... just in case!

His communications with the Clintons, that is, to try and prevent any conflict of interest.

Patrick Gaspard is fine where he is...

Perhaps we could push Tidodo as replacement for Tim Geithner. He would be perfect for the Treasury post in an Obama III administration, I think. But of course, this presupposes that Obama first replace Joe Biden with Hillary Clinton as Vice-President. I can't imagine Tidodo accepting a position in the administration, under any other circumstances.