Thoughts from great thinkers

admin
Site Admin

Thoughts from great thinkers

Post by admin » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:01 am

What's common to all those great thinkers? They all had a near-famous younger brother whose thoughts were recently discovered, thanks to research by yours truly. I get the feeling that there is something in common between those brothers, but I cannot put my finger on it.

[quote]The important thing is not to stop questioning.
[/quote]
[quote]To stop questioning is to surrender to morons.
[/quote]
[quote]The penalty that good men pay for not being interested in politics is to be governed by men worse than themselves.
[/quote]
[quote]The penalty that good men pay for politicking way too much is to be governed by "freedom fighters" and "technocrats".
[/quote]
[quote]That would be a good idea.
[/quote]
[quote]That would be a good idea.
[/quote]
[quote]Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to befoul the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.
[/quote]
[quote]Behind the Bush sits enthroned an invisible Dick owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy the invisible Dick, to befoul the unholy alliance between Enron/Halliburton and corrupt politics is the first task of the electorate on November 2.[/quote]
[quote]Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current that can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance.
[/quote]
[quote]Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he is hunted down by the FBI or the CIA...
[/quote]
[quote]A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against its government.
[/quote]
[quote]A patriot must always be ready to be accused of being unpatriotic and un-American.[/quote]
[quote]I particularly condemn the way our political leaders supplied the manpower for that war [The Vietnam War]. The policies determining who would be drafted and who would be deferred, who would serve and who would escape, who would die and who would live, were an anti-democratic disgrace.... I am angry that so many sons of the powerful and well-placed ... managed to wangle slots in Reserve and National Guard units. Of the many tragedies of Vietnam, this raw class discrimination strikes me as the most damaging to the ideal that all Americans are created equal and owe equal allegiance to our country.
[/quote]
[quote]I particularly condemn the way our political leaders supply the manpower for the war on Iraq. The policies determining who would serve and who would escape (the sons and daughters of the rich and politically influential, that is), who would die and who would live, are an anti-democratic disgrace.... I am angry that the President that I serve and counsel in the war on Iraq managed to wangle slots in Reserve and National Guard units to escape service in Vietnam. Of the many tragedies of the wars, this raw class discrimination strikes me as the most damaging to the ideal that all Americans are created equal and owe equal allegiance to our country.[/quote]
[quote]Wars cause suffering, put a premium on fraud and cruelty, infect whole societies with anger, fear and pride. They are crusades that make the world safe for spiritual darkness.[/quote]
[quote]The war on Iraq causes suffering, puts a premium on fraud and cruelty, infects whole societies with anger, fear and pride. It is a crusade that makes America safe for spiritual darkness.[/quote]
[quote]Statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception.[/quote]
[quote]Neoconservatives will invent cheap lies, putting blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every republican will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception.
[/quote]
[quote]The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.[/quote]
[quote]The hottest places in the house of Bush are reserved for those who, in times of missing WMD's, question the justification for war.
[/quote]
[quote]War can't end terrorism. War is terrorism.[/quote]
[quote]Not to worry, Bush will out-terrorize the terrorists.[/quote]
[quote]When even one American - who has done nothing wrong -- is forced by fear to shut his mind and close his mouth, then all Americans are in peril.[/quote]
[quote]When a great many Americans - who have done nothing wrong -- are forced by fear to shut their minds and close their mouths, then one American president is in peril of losing the only job he's ever liked.
[/quote]
[quote]An elective despotism is not the government we fought for.[/quote]
[quote]An elective despotism IS the government they selected.
[/quote]
[quote]Those who are willing to sacrifice their basic liberties to assure their security deserve neither.[/quote]
[quote]Those who are willing to sacrifice their basic liberties to assure their security deserve maximum security jails.[/quote]
[quote]If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
[/quote]
[quote]If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent a repeat.[/quote]
[quote]To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
[/quote]
[quote]To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is codified in the Patriot Act.[/quote]
[quote]Perhaps it is a universal tru
th that the loss of liberty at home is to be charged to provisions against danger, real or pretended, from abroad.
[/quote]
[quote]Perhaps it is a universal truth that the loss of liberty at home is to be charged to provisions of weapons from abroad, real or pretended, made in USA with amazing cloaking capabilities.
[/quote]
[quote]Every gun that is made, every warship that is launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold, and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children....This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the cloud of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.
[/quote]
[quote]Ditto
[/quote]