Is there an Ann Pale community?

admin
Site Admin

Is there an Ann Pale community?

Post by admin » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:33 pm

Tell us what you think.

Leonel JB

Post by Leonel JB » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:56 am

Yes, We are a Community. We are about 90 % Haitians. We have more or less a common love for Haiti and Ann Pale.
Leonel

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:25 am

Thank you, Leonel. That's tough love, if you ask me.

Assuming that we had a community, as you say, do we still have one?

First, let's examine the assumption: One would think that we did, no matter how much we disagreed since that's part of the game, considering that we actually had a "reunion" earlier this year in Florida, but since then three-quarters of the community have seemingly dropped out... except for the brief period of the World Cup games at the beginning of July). The women especially have flown the coop: Liline, Carline, Pauline, Caroline, and not just those whose names end with "line" either, because we also have to include Manzè Choublak, Anacaona!, Shelony, etc. And now, Empress Verite because of some disagreement with me, I think, which centered around the three-letter prefix "ANY".

On the men's side, we appear to have lost the voices of some "compagnons de lutte" like Jonas and Lemane, the highly revered biblical duo of Gelin and Tayi (are they running from Bouli?), Pitit Ginen, Yaw Abobo, etc...

And those who slowed down considerably, for health reasons: Marilyn (another "line" ending), Serge (who's making a brave comeback), Nekita...

There are many more that I have not mentioned, who used to be regulars on this forum. Honorable mention must be made of Leonel who magically made Central Jersey appear far more distant than Denmark, but still believes as he made evident in his reply. Leonel the faithful! Who would have thought?

To every one whose name appears in this note, I want to say a big THANK YOU for having contributed so much to this forum in the past. Know that you are perfectly welcome to get back after paying a suitable amend of $300. :)

I confess that I particularly wanted to hear from Jonas, because I learned so much from him over they years. Jonas, are you reading us?

If your name was not mentioned, it means that either you are currently holding the fort (as in la Crête-à-Pierrot) or that my memory is failing me.

This question is for everyone: Is Ann Pale finally fading into obscurity, because you failed to entertain it when you could? Whatever the answer, I want to thank you all for a marvelous ride and wish you the most perfect of holidays.

For a stronger Haitian community,
your forum editor and moderator
Guy S. Antoine

Anacaona_

Post by Anacaona_ » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:18 pm

Guy,

As Leonel said, I think that there is an Ann Pale Community. Although some of us have neglected the community but, we are still on the outside looking in. As for me, I pay constant visit to the forum but I never take time to post anything since the World Cup. It is not because I do not care about the community but rather sometimes I feel that other people have express my point of view in a more concise way. So, for that matter, I choose to remain quiet (As a matter of fact, I am a quiet person, Shelony might disagree with me for saying that though).

Anyway, I will get on board with the community soon. I just need some times to take care of some educational issue and once I am done with the next step in my education, I will come back hopefully stronger than ever.

Oops, I forgot that I had to pay $300 to come back! Oh well, I did not drop out. I only took a leave of absence which I need to extend until the end of January.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:54 pm

Thank you for your opinion, Marcien Toussaint, and welcome to our community!

[quote]Once again, let me point out the very poor mentality of most of our people, and mostly the educated ones.[/quote]
Is it just an accident that your very first sentence will be to point out "the poor mentality" of others? I do not think so, and neither will anyone who has been a witness to your devolution on this forum over the years. You have an irresistible penchant for demeaning others, while promoting yourself at the very same time. It's all on the record and it appears that you cannot help doing otherwise. If only you could acquire some humility and not see the world as a stage for your own aggrandizement, people would naturally want to embrace you as a talented member of the community. You have so much to offer, and yet you are so spiteful. The reason may be hidden in your life story, but in that case only those who are close to you and that you confide in could ever begin to understand.

[quote]My opinions on this Forum have been mostly controversial. Why do you think they are, Mr Antoine?[/quote]
I do not think that they are controversial at all. For the most part, I have found them to be objectionable, that's all.

[quote]Your not mentioning my names among those who contributed so much to this Forum is one of the reasons why we are in such deep chaos in Haiti.[/quote]
No, it's not.

[quote]You remind me also of President Aristide when he read his speech in 2001.[/quote]
People also tell me that I remind them of Preval. I must be quite presidential. :D

[quote]The plan Senk, do you remember it? He kept saying that he was the President of all Haitians, but never mentioned the need to sit down with the opposition and try to reach a consensus.[/quote]
I remember the quinquennial plan quite well. In fact, we discussed it thoroughly on the old Fowòm Ayisyen which is still in our archives. But as far as I can remember without going to search for them right now, it was a plan of economic development for 5 years, not a political plan for Aristide on how he would deal with his political opposition. That would be something, wouldn't it? In fact, not even the President of the United States has ever produced a formal 4-year plan on how he would deal with his political opposition. He just mentions that he is "a uniter, not a divider" and then proceeds on unilaterally implementing his neoconservative agenda. But so much more was expected of the Haitian President. He had to learn to make love to his worst enemies. What consensus are you talking about, Marcien? The consensus on how to render himself impotent politically, I assume. Not to worry, the plan worked quite well, with his consent or not. Consensus, my foot! Both you and I know perfectly well that it was more like his signing a mandate of his own political irrelevance. Di djab bonjou, li manje-w. Pa di-l bonjou, li manje-w. Let's stop the hypocrisy around that particular issue, once and for all.

But, if you want to resurface our discussion of the quinquennial plan, we can always do that. Once again, it was supposed to be an economic development plan, not a political agenda. Was it developed enough? Not! We are not steeped in the art of government planning in Haiti, because Haitian governments are always too preoccupied with survival.

[quote]Of course, your reply may be "your fear" that the anti-social Marcien Toussaint could misinterprate the mention of his name.[/quote]
No fear... Just the knowledge that you would misinterpret it. But consider yourself in good company, as I did not mention either the names of other great contributors to this forum such as Tidodo, Jafrikayiti, Ezili Danto, Widy, Zanfanginen, and others. To me, they are "the regulars", including you Mr. Toussaint. I could always count on your participation, even predict it. It's only recently that you have become less predictable. It's only recently that you have not jumped in, when I perfectly expected that you would. As far as my not mentioning your name, yes you have quite predictably misinterpreted it.

[quote]But, I know that the Forum has benefited a lot from my participation. [/quote]
Absolutely! You have made it lively on numerous occasions. And you have generously shared your views on Politics, on Vodou, on the Haitian Language, on Music, and perhaps other topics as well. While we have disagreed plenty, and have clashed on numerous occasions, the record shows that you have been a quite prolific contributor both to Fowòm Ayisyen and to Ann Pale (under the names of Gifrants, Republic, and Marcien Toussaint).

[quote]There may be many other reasons why this Forum cannot benefit more. One of them is undeniably my "great lack of qualification"--[/quote]
Oh, pass me a violin, please!

[quote]I have always refused to be a member of any clique, and the other one, I must confess, is my resentment towards the Haitian intelligentsia. Degrees and degrees, and Haiti is dying. It blows my mind.[/quote]
And what does your resentment of the intelligentsia have to do with your being a member of our community or not? Gifrants, this is exactly where you lose me, when you start talking nonsense and then build up on it. What Haitian intelligentsia do you see on the forum? I see a lot of hard-working individuals, concerned with the welfare of their compatriots, that's all. Try to stop judging them and comparing them to yourself always, and we all know "to whose benefit". Try to deal with others without announcing yourself as a super-patriot, always but always ready to die for Haiti while you have been living abroad for over a quarter of a century. Come down from your human-god pedestal and talk with us, one on one, without so much presumption on your part.

Without your participation, the forum is always a whole lot quieter than it should be. You have a lot to offer. Just do it with a tad more modesty, please.

Your belligerence does not advance the interests of this community. Nor does your prolonged withdrawal.

You are more than welcome to participate without the smug expression of disrespect which you usually dish out to others.

Leonel JB

Post by Leonel JB » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:25 am

Dunord, kote'w te ye papa?

I kept asking for you. I was a little worried. For, I didn't hear from you for a while.

Anyway, Welcome back!

Leonel

Michel Nau_

Post by Michel Nau_ » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:38 am

Dnord wrote: [quote]Sure there is!
There are at least 10 in the Ann Pale community that play cards under the mango tree in my yard almost every day. I get weary of the political discussions some times as I find they often don't match the reality I see, but that's true of political discussions everywhere.[/quote]
Yes indeed, I remember this picture of young Haitian parasites, jobless, living in their parent houses playing dominos and cards all day long and talking about politics, and spanking every women who dare get close.

Yes indeed, I remember this picture of these “players”, these scambags with a rècho difè over their head and bwa pinset nan zorey e nan nin yo and the winners annoyed out loud disturbing the neighborhood and kids who are trying to study really hard under a electric pole and trying to beat the time before the blackout.

Dnord, after so many years, and water under the bridge, are they still doing that???

During my old days, my friends from all level of the society and I, used to listen to the Difficiles the Petion=Ville, Les Ambassadeurs, Shleu- Shleu, Bossa Combo, and going to kermesses every Sunday, and crashing parties as “Dasomen” , chasing these scholl girls from Lalue and Sacre Coeur, and smoking you know what once and a while.

But we were also good students, top 10 in our class, and going to church every Sunday. We were interested in politics, local and international. Were fascinated about the Cuban revolution, Castro, Che Guevara, Costa Graves, and movies like “Z” with Yves Montand, La Bataille d'Alger, Palestine, Black Panthers, Trotsky, Kennedy, and MLK's assassination etc.

Please, tell these 10 members of Ann Pale to take a break from their dominos and cards and go to Ann Pale to give their 50 cents about Haitian politics and their leaving conditions, and how they plan to change that.

Are we a community??
Yes we are, like a big pizza, united we stand, divided we are!

With time, diversity and complexity, racism, hate, and resentments toward other members' opinions and values, step by step, we sliced this wonderful pizza into many pieces, and some of us ended up having more pepperonis and mushrooms than others.

Ann Pale Community!!
Like it or not, United we are for Haiti, divided we stand for our opinions!!

Peace!

Michel

Gelin_

Post by Gelin_ » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:55 pm

Ann Pale is a virtual community, and a very good one. Guy, you have done an excellent job. Keep it up, man!

gelin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:11 pm

[quote]But so far, no one on this forum has questioned them even though silence can be eloquent enough. [/quote]
Marcien Toussaint, how far is "so far"??? Do I need to give you an account of how my day went yesterday? Should that be by the hour, Sir?

Gifrants, this is not the first time that Michel Nau has made this kind of statement, and in fact I have seen worse. At those times, I have clearly challenged him and you did not. Did I go saying, "well, I challenged Michel Nau and Gifrants did not"?

In your zeal to find fault with my management of this forum, w'ap chache zangiy anba wòch. Let's stick to the facts, Sir.

And please stop obsessing. You are ALWAYS THE FIRST to write something derogatory about me and then you seem offended when I dare question your motivation. There is absolutely no chance that others will respect you, if you refuse to respect them as well. The choice is yours.

You only reap what you sow.

As far as Michel is concerned, you already know how I feel about those remarks of yours, because once you had made similar statements about those "bouda chire, etc, etc" and I clearly expressed my displeasure (and it always can be found in the archives, folks). So why do you continue down that path? You also mentioned something about "smoking you know what once and a while", which makes me wonder if perhaps you smoked a bit too much of whatever it was... I grew up under Papa Doc, and I imagine that you did too. From what I can remember, if anyone in those times was caught smoking anything other than tobacco, he would simply be counted among "the disappeared". Unless we are talking about the social liberalization that occurred in the Jean-Claude era, at the beginning of which I left Haiti, it's hard for me to imagine that the youths of Port-au-Prince and Pétionville would have so carelessly exposed their lives and those of their families to mortal danger.

Either the reality was not as brutal that I had imagined it or you are a lot younger than I thought.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:24 pm

[quote]No one else but Marcien Toussaint has a subtitle on this Forum--"The artistry of Marcien Toussaint."[/quote]
So you should be proud of it!

[quote]I have been voluntarily targeted on this Forum since the day when I posted a reply to Mrs. Werley and brought back a lot of memories that caused a lot of discomfort to some people on this Forum. I have been targeted for daring to question not only the lack of preparedness of the Lavalas Party but also their mismanagement of power.[/quote]
Well, that's your conclusion and you can stand by it "jis jou poul va gen dan", because that's what suits you. However, as far as I am concerned, it was not your particular opinions about Lavalas that I was concerned about (however I might have disagreed with them) -- rather it was your increasingly violent and vulgar ways of expressing your opinions. Thank God you have become a lot more polished now than you were in those times. I must say that you have grown quite a bit as a politician. Before, I don't think that anyone in his right mind would have followed you anywhere because you relished the part of sounding like a lunatic. Maybe in some measure, I helped you along the way but, believe me, I do not expect any thanks in return.

[quote]The Chimères, armed by Aristide and still being used right now, at this moment by the Préval-Alexis Government, have threatened my life. These are "loupenn", we need to call them by their name, with poor political awareness, whose notion of survival has nothing to do with the pride and the glory of our nation since they refer themselves so much to the children of Dessalines. Whether I did use the words "bonda chire" or not, the mindset of those people is as deplorable as their actions, though they may not be the only criminals who are making life unbearable to so many in Haiti.[/quote]
Of course, you would try to turn this thread into a discussion of all things "lavalas", since that appears to be your trump card in every single context. I am not interested to go down that road with you, because it would be a magistral waste of everybody's time. You have your political passions and one-track mindset, so let's leave it at that.

One note of clarification though: in my previous note, when I made the reference to "bouda chire, etc, etc" I no longer was addressing you, but Michel Nau. I said: "As far as Michel is concerned, you already know... ...", and all the remarks that followed were addressed to Michel and not to you, Gifrants. Sorry if I did not make that clear enough.

[quote]Taking my words out of context, even when they are justified when it comes to spill the truth as ugly or as bloody it may be, has always been used as a character assassination on my person.[/quote]
Oh well... (who would actually be interested... when you have actually done such a good job of that yourself!?)

[quote]Now, if we want to go back to the real subject...[/quote]
Amen to that!

[quote]We all do have the duty as, educated people, if I may say, to achieve a constructive and progressive process by which we can learn how to face our differences, peacefully as much as we can, and most of all, how to overcome those tremendous problems we are facing within our communities abroad and in Haiti, if indeed we are truly concerned by them.[/quote]
I can sincerely say that I second that statement, Gifrants. Honestly... Ak pasyans na wè tete foumi.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:21 pm

[quote]Je chante Hosanna avec les anges et je blasphème avec les démons. Puis-je bien vous le rappeler, Mr. Antoine! [/quote]
Oui, je me rappelle de mille discussions sans issue qui ramènent toujours à vous. Chantez et blasphèmez comme vous le voulez, mon cher Gifrants. Le ton a un peu changé, mais c'est toujours la même racaille. Je me suis déjà assez éloigné de votre colline, donc à une autre fois ou un autre carrefour. Celui où vous jugerez bon de défendre le manifesto politique de votre parti réformiste et de dire en quoi il se différentie de tout autre petit parti de coin de rue qui n'a comme substance que le dénigrement des autres epi epi anyen.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:22 pm

[quote]I refrained from entering this discussion because honestly I did not see the pertinence of the original question posed by Guy. Is there an Annpale community? Of course, the community is there. Proof? Aren't you communicating with me at this very moment. Your reaction to this text that is being typed all the way in Canada means that you and I do have interest(s) in "common" that draw us to this website. It is because of this(these) common interest(s) that we are willing to partake in the exchange of ideas, information, preoccupations found in the thousands of messages of Annpale.[/quote]
The pertinence of the original question resides in this: While Haitians are facing greater challenges than ever in Haiti, the Dominican Republic, Bahamas, Canada, Florida, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts etc., fewer and fewer correspondents on this forum are willing to exchange on the issues. Is it because their direct involvement in the solutions to those problems prevents them from engaging in forum discussions? If that is the case, then we have no problem whatsoever, in spite of the fact that communications is still a good thing while we do what we do. In the last year, the rate of participation has dropped precipitously. Again, if there is a good reason for that, then so be it. But there is no denying that at the current rate of participation, Ann Pale is only a shell of what it used to be. If that's fine with everyone, then let's move on. I just don't want to be the last one standing in a ghost town.

Yes, Ann Pale has its disparager of excellence, but I wanted to reach out to the members who used to participate, especially all the women who must have gone on to something better. What in their view would be the ingredients of a livelier, more participatory and more useful internet community?

Leonel JB

Post by Leonel JB » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:36 pm

Gifrants, se domaj, ou tElman gen anpil potansyEl. Men, elas, ou kite vye bagay negatif ap gide'w.

It is OK, pou oun moun pa renmen mizik ou. Li OK pou oun moun pote oun kritik ke ou pa dakO. Men, fOk ou panse a pouki rezon ke oun moun ka pa renmen'w.

Si tout kote ou pase, moun ap di'w oun bagay de ou. E, tout moun yo di menm bagay. Mon chE, le pli souvan se verite. I said le plisouvan.

Ou reyElman fache de kritik ke nEg yo te pOte sou mizik ou. Men sepandan kisa oufE pou'w korije'l?

Ou se youn tip ki trE entElijan. Men, ou refize kite oun seri de vye defo ke anpil nan nou genyen. SE ke, depi oun moun pa dakO avE'n. Nou rayi moun nan. Nou voksifere, nou frape kO'nn atE.

Mezanmi, nou ase entelijan. Pa repete sotiz ke zansEt nou yo te fE. LE yo te separe ti peyi a an twa paske yo pa vle tande konsEy. Yo pa vle met tEt ansanm.

P.S Gifrants, oun moun di'm ke Itali aksepte menm pitit pitit Italyen ki fEt nan lOt peyi. Youn kapab gen doub nasyonalite... Men, oumenm, nan peyi pa'w la. Si oun moun pa natif natal, ou chaje ak pwoblEm. Si'w natiralize se pi rEd. Kidonk, my friend you want to exclude a lot of People!! Ki plan'w pou devlopman peyi sa'a?

Men anpil, chay pa lou,

leonel

Leonel JB

Post by Leonel JB » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:03 pm

Gifrants, pwoblEm ou genyen an Se pa ni Gi, ni pEsOnn sou fowOm nan. Men, se oun pwoblEm ki kOmanse pa oumenm. E, li fini pa oumenm ankO.

PetEt, lE ou te ti moun. Te gen de twa eleman ki te jwe ak lOlOj ou. Kidonk, ou gen pwoblEm "Self Esteem". Donk, kounye a, ou vle lage po kase a sou lOt moun. San ke'w pa ryalize sous pwoblEm ou.

Pa gen lwa ki di ke nou sipoze gen menm ide. Men, nan youn sosiete fOk oun moun fE oun seri de konpwomi. Otherwise, you would be left alone.

Sa ke ou rele "Niche dEyE'a". Moun ki save, rele li "Diplomasi". Wa di'm kiyEs ki pi bon?

Mwen pa di pou aksepte tout sa oun moun fE'w. Men dE fwa, fOk ou "Pick the Right battle". Byen ke mwen pa espere ke'w dakO avE'm. Men, nan la vi sa'a, si ou pa vle mache oun men devan, oun men dEyE. FOk ou koule lE pou'w koule (eskive). Sitou lE oun gen ti moun. Otherwise, ou pwal nan youn mision suisid pou anyen.

Ou di ke etranje ba ou plis valE. Yo pran'w plis o serye. Men, ou pa panse ke ou koule tElman devan etranje yo. Se sa'k fE ke yo renmen w konsa. Tandiske, lE ou avEk Ayisyen, ou ouvE Gagann ou men lajE, pou'w chante "Kantamwa". Kidonk, ou viktim de pwOp awogans ou.

Sad,but True, a lot of us are just like "kOk lakou". LE nou nan fowOm blan, nou met kO nou tou piti. Men, lE se Ann Pale, Nou vle vinn derespekte Moun k'ap fE travay serye tankou Gi ak SEj elatriye.

Ki fE'm sonje oun egzanp ki pase nou an 86. Sou Church Ave nan Brooklyn, kote oun Ayisyen ki t'ap kondui oun "tap tap". Misye fE oun U-turn devan machin ke nou te ladan'an. Machinn nou an frape misye nan pOt. Etan done pifO nEg ki te nan machinn nou an se ti Ayisyen ameriken. Yo pale angle ak chofE tap-tap la ki mande mil eskiz paske li pat wE machinn pa nou an. Mwen menm ki pa't konprann reyalite ki ekziste pami oun pakEt nan nou, mwen adrese misye an Kreyol... Sa'w tande'a, misye mare pwen'l, pou'l batay. Misye mande anraje, se Polis ki te oblije vini pou bay misye oun pakEt tikE...

My friend, m'ap swiv ou lontan. Ou toujou gen oun bagay negatif de Gi oudimwen SEj sou fowOm nan. San ke ou pa panse oudimwen, ou pa menm konplimante yo pou bEl travay ke yo fE. Si se te blan, ou t'a mete yo sou pedestal.

Mwen pa kont ou. Paske mwen konprann problEm ou. Apre dE zane de kolonizasyon, li difisil pou oun seri nan nou menm pou nou rete tEt dwEt devan etranje. LE se Ayisyen, nou sEl kOk chante tElman vwa nou gra. Adje, nou gen anpil travay pou nou fE.

Poze tEt ou oun kesyon, Pouki sa pou yo ta rayi'w sou fowOm sa'a?

Sa'm di la yo se opinyon pEsonEl mwen. NenpOt moun andwa pa dakO avE'm. Se pa oun pwoblEm. L'ap oun pwoblEm, se lE mwen vle pou tout moun dakO ak opinyon'm.

RespE,

Leonel

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:06 pm

[quote]Sa ka pi fè m mal, sèke kritik yon enbesil tankou Serge Bellegarde ki pa konnen anyen nan mizik ka arive krisifye mavi nan jefò wen ak lanmou pou pèp anwen ak peyi anwen.[/quote]
"Yon enbesil tankou Serge Bellegarde" ??? Men egzanp lidèchip yon nèg kap vin pale moun de "consensus", "patriyotism", elatriye.

Surely, you must regret having said it, don't you? Such spitefulness is not the mark of an effective leader. I assume, of course, that you are the current leader of the Reformist Party that is going to transform Haiti (...for the better?!?)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:33 pm

Your critique of Serge Bellegarde is your critique of Serge Bellegarde. But it no way exempts you from showing due respect to your compatriots. Otherwise, tout lòt pawòl w'ap pale yo se "pawòl van".

You called him an imbecile... You went even futher.... much further.

[quote]Now, you know also that I am a musician, and I must say: A damn good one. While I can hardly accept the fact that you are a music critic, I did hear about your opinion about my music. Guess what? I have achieved a quiet revolution in Haitian music and I'm the only one who with all his projects have been able to develop the different styles within the spectrum of Haitian music—from Haitian folk music to Creole jazz, from roots music to voodoo Jazz, and I do not mean jazz voodoo, and Haitian contemporary music. And to quote George Colinet, the producer of Afro Pop, “the music of Gifrants is one of avant-garde”. Of course, since I am not going to leak your ass, and to make matter worse, I was not a Pro-Lavalas supporter, the same way Jean Geneus declined to send me the tickets for my participation at “La semaine de la diaspora” in 1999, it will be the same way, the participation of the “man on a hill by himself” in most national events is inexistent. I do not give a damn. You know why? I chose to be a musician as a cause, and it shows. After 35 years, I believe that I've done my best for my country regarding music and culture. My determination to preserve and develop the music of the masses is duly reflected on my 11 CD's where there is not a single song in French. Guess what? When I had to work 2 jobs, 3 jobs in order to produce those CD's which, by the way, are not bought by you, by Guy Antoine, and most of those concerned intellectuals, locked in their own box and with their clique, I did it with pride and dignity for it was not about doing something I liked, it was about HAITI AND HAITIAN CULTURE. You must understand why, when playing for your masters, who unfortunately seem to be the ones who understand and dig my work, one of you, with his great credentials showed up in front of me to tell me how proud he was to see a Haitian perform in such an unexpected location, it took me a lot of self-control not to spit on him. I'm the soul of my people and I represent their hope—it is not a matter of self-gratification. It is a fact that I'm aware of.

Now, while many of you intend to take my opinions on a personal level, ant this is very malicious on your part, you must admit that I'm telling the truth. I am not a hill by myself. I am not in good company at the present moment among irresponsible, intellectuals of my ass of your caliber.

I do not hear that the Members of the Association of Haitian Physicians have decided to rotate their time and volunteer in Haiti in order to provide Health assistance to our brothers and sisters. However, you will see them in company of Whites, blue eyes and green eyes, in locations where those Whites intend to help Haitians. That will never come as their initiative. They will do it in order to be seen in good company, and to assure promotion and contact. F… you!!!

I do not hear that the Members of the Association of Haitian Engineers agree voluntarily to survey our small country, and provide plans for highways, roads, or urbanization. It is such a big task for “those sons of Dessalines, proud to be from the First Black Nation on this Planet.” F… you!!!

I do not hear that the Members of the Association of Haitian Teachers are volunteering the time for summer schools in Haiti where the level of education of way below standard. F… you!!!

How many Haitian Professionals voluntarily are putting their life on the line to achieve good in Haiti? F… you!!!

But Paul Farmer and other White people will be there! They can because they can afford it? You want to hear about their struggle, their pain, their headache, their dedication?

F… you!!! Yes, I am in hill by myself as you say--the same way I embrace music and my guitar case is on the ground in front of strangers waiting for pennies and dollar bills, the same it is the strangers who cannot understand why and how this is happening. I'm still doing it with pride and dignity.

What's your name, Sir?
Gifrants.

Where are your from?
Haiti.

Which music is it?
It is Haitian music. It is a fusion of Haitian music, Brazilian music and Jazz. It is how the Haitian peasants express themselves.
[/quote]
No comment on most of what you have written above because it is quite revealing to anyone who reads it.

But let's examine the last paragraph, where you describe your music and Haitian music in general.
[quote]
Which music is it?
It is Haitian music. It is a fusion of Haitian music, Brazilian music and Jazz. It is how the Haitian peasants express themselves.[/quote]
Of course, you are going to tell me that I am not qualified to talk about Haitian music, and I won't because I fully admit my inability to exchange with someone who says things that I do not understand, like:
[quote]nan mizik, kote lè m fenk ap aprann jwe gita, vire tounen se Premye, dezyèm, twazyèm, relatif.
Premye a, se premye vre, men yo reyèlman di yonn
Dezyèm lan se 5
Twazyèm lan se 4
Relatif la se 6, se relatif vre men yo plis aplike li pou relatif minè[/quote]
Who knows... perhaps every forum member understood what you said, but I surely did not. Since I never took guitar lessons, I have not the foggiest idea of what you said or even why you said it (unless you just wanted to show off, like a good Haitian intellectual!)

Did you make any sense? Perhaps. Perhaps not. I would have to get another musician to decipher the lingo for me. I know my limitations.

But when you say:
[quote]It is a fusion of Haitian music, Brazilian music and Jazz. It is how the Haitian peasants express themselves.[/quote]
I do not need any special knowledge of music to know that you are deluding yourself.

And when you say:
[quote]I have achieved a quiet revolution in Haitian music and I'm the only one who with all his projects have been able to develop the different styles within the spectrum of Haitian music—from Haitian folk music to Creole jazz, from roots music to voodoo Jazz[/quote]
The only one??? Once again, I do not need a special knowledge of music to know that you are deluding yourself.

And when you keep mentioning the name of Paul Farmer in a vain and unflattering manner, and try to tell us that we admire him because he is "White" and not because his work has saved the lives of thousands of HIV-infected Haitians, I do not need a special knowledge of music to know that you are a terribly jealous man and that you starve for attention. You would disrespect anyone in order to bring attention to yourself.

And when you pepper your talk with obscenities (because someone did not critique your music to a level that satisfies you), I do not need a special knowledge of music to know that you are prone to losing your temper in an extremely irrational and tempestuous manner [à la Beethoven, perhaps!?] Imagine if one day you could indeed exercise power at a state level, as is your wish!! That is a sobering thought.

In the States, no one would want you to have access to the nuclear war codes...

Leonel JB

Post by Leonel JB » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:53 pm

Ala kote ou wE papa.

Mwen reyElman wE ke Gifrants se oun blagE. Paske se pa de ri m'ap ri.

Je vous salue Gifrants. Le Seigneur est avec vous. Vous etes benis entre tous (toutes) les Hommes!!!!!!

Ala de tray,

Le Seigneur du parti Reformiste Haitien a fait ses declarations. Donc, on devrait se mettre a genoux pour l'admirer...

L'Union fait la force,

Leonel

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:22 pm

About your music.

Perhaps you did not understand me well. Let met repeat:

[quote]...let's examine the last paragraph, where you describe your music and Haitian music in general.
[quote]Which music is it?
It is Haitian music. It is a fusion of Haitian music, Brazilian music and Jazz. It is how the Haitian peasants express themselves.[/quote]
Of course, you are going to tell me that I am not qualified to talk about Haitian music, and I won't because I fully admit my inability to exchange with someone who says things that I do not understand, like:
[quote]nan mizik, kote lè m fenk ap aprann jwe gita, vire tounen se Premye, dezyèm, twazyèm, relatif.
Premye a, se premye vre, men yo reyèlman di yonn
Dezyèm lan se 5
Twazyèm lan se 4
Relatif la se 6, se relatif vre men yo plis aplike li pou relatif minè[/quote]
Who knows... perhaps every forum member understood what you said, but I surely did not. Since I never took guitar lessons, I have not the foggiest idea of what you said or even why you said it (unless you just wanted to show off, like a good Haitian intellectual!)

Did you make any sense? Perhaps. Perhaps not. I would have to get another musician to decipher the lingo for me. I know my limitations.

But when you say:
[quote]It is a fusion of Haitian music, Brazilian music and Jazz. It is how the Haitian peasants express themselves.[/quote]
I do not need any special knowledge of music to know that you are deluding yourself.

And when you say:
[quote]I have achieved a quiet revolution in Haitian music and I'm the only one who with all his projects have been able to develop the different styles within the spectrum of Haitian music—from Haitian folk music to Creole jazz, from roots music to voodoo Jazz[/quote]
The only one??? Once again, I do not need a special knowledge of music to know that you are deluding yourself.
[/quote]

If I ever feel the need to understand what you said about "premye a, dezyèm lan, twazyèm lan, relatif la, etc..." yes, I will seek someone who can interpret it for me, but for now I prefer to seek other paths to knowledge and personal enrichment. If and when they ever lead me back to what you wrote, then I will deal with it accordingly.

I simply wanted to point out that in the context that you wrote it, you only wanted to show off. In that way, you resemble those Haitian intellectuals that you love to decry and hypocritically so.

Also, I have presented your text in its integrality. Don't try to evade responsibility for what you write. Is it archived. Well, my friend, on the internet, everything is archived automatically. But I do triple-archive your stuff, because of specific threats of serious bodily harm that you have made to others, right on these pages.

Your references to my family members, I choose to ignore. I only speak for myself. We have gone down that route before, and it only shows the extent of your dishonor when you try to involve my family in your oft-repeated calumnies, when you have no valid argumentation whatsoever. I challenge you to stop your underhanded tactics, your deliberate lies, and to stick to the facts. Period.

Finally, every five minutes or so, you seemingly bring up the fact that I am an American citizen. How did you learn that??? Uh? Uh? Well, let me refresh your memory: I have told you so, myself, a hundred times.

Windows on Haiti was created in 1998. In my personal statement, which has been an integral part of this website every day since October 1998, I wrote:
[quote]One thing for sure, today I am a Haitian-American. Whatever that means, it is precisely what I make of it through my personal choices which are dictated by values and not rigid ideology. I hope that my actions as a Haitian-American, in tandem with those of my friends all over the world, and specifically Haitians in Haiti, will help close the circle one day: Haiti has undeniably given so much of her blood, tears, and guts to the world, we must never lose hope that one day those riches in human and material terms will come back to re-energize her. Perhaps one day, we will stop referring to her (shamelessly) as "the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere", shaking our heads in disbelief at her abject misery. No country that has given so much could be intrinsically the poorest country. We have to change the forces that shape the exodus of her people and her riches. We have to fulfill our mission to become one people. Let us please stop saying vainly: "L'Union Fait La Force", while stabbing each other in the back. Let us instead act on that worthy principle in our personal lives and in our national life. Only then will the circle close.[/quote]

Uh? Uh? Thanks for your advertisement of my citizenship! As you surely should be able to tell by now (one would hope), I do not mind. I have not for one day tried to hide it. I have lived in the United States, like you, for over a quarter of a century. I am not so dysfunctional to think that I should keep my Haitian citizenship just so that I can go and assume power in Haiti some day. I have voted in American elections every chance I have had. Yes, every single time. And I consider that my civic duty. You, the archi-literal-super-patriot, why are you living in the diaspora which you love to disparage so much??? I have no interest in dictating to you the personal choices that you make in your life, but all I can say is: "align yourself with your values", "put your money where your mouth is", and "put up or shut up".

No Haitian person needs a lesson of patriotism from you, Gifrants. You can lead them by example, if you wish. But all those sermons about patriotism sound terribly hollow. Your actions will always speak louder than your words.

I will conclude by reiterating that, while an American citizen, I also declare myself a Haitian National, natif-natal on top of it. And not one degree less than you, my dear Gifrants. I do not claim "double nationalité". I am patient enough to wait until it becomes a constitutional right, if it ever becomes so. But I do not negotiate the essence of who I am, for the sake of unscrupulous would-be politicians who seek to make an issue of it for their own crass interests.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:48 pm

Pawòl van.