Proposed Agenda of Reunion and Form to Fill

T-dodo

Proposed Agenda of Reunion and Form to Fill

Post by T-dodo » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:00 pm

I have been waiting to see what ideas you had about the activities we should undertake during the reunion before I finalize those already on the table. Besides Serge and Nekita who have been constantly bringing new ones, we have not had many proposals. I hope your silence is not a reflection of a lack of interest. But, time is approaching, and we have to make some decisions.

Reunion Dates: February 18-20, 2006

Location: Miami (unless there is a change in sentiment since last time)

Attendance: About a dozen

Events:

SATURDAY February 18, 2006:

1. 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Arrival in Miami/Fort Lauderdale. If I have to pick up someone from the airport, I recommend you fly to the Ft Lauderdale airport.

2. 5:00 p.m. Meeting at Libreri Mapou in Little Haiti. I need to confirm the time with Mapou, but he already agreed to make a room with the capacity of 30-40 at our
disposal.

3. 8:00 Dinner at Tap Tap Restaurant in Miami Beach. Cost about $10 to $15 excluding drinks. It was too long to type the menu here with prices, but you know the usual haitian restaurant fare: griot, rice, accra, haitian mojito - my favorite drink there - lambi, poulet, etc. I am also talking to them regarding a group price.

4. 9:00 Concert at Tap Tap animated by Manno Charlemagne. He plays there each Saturday night, and Tap Tap was not shy in accepting reservations for February this month. [There is a possibility that Manno is not available that night since he plays at Tap Tap only when he is in town. We may want to confirm with him. Perhaps Nekita or someone who knows him can take care of that.]After the concert, those of you who have the stamina for it and who want it may go to Marabou Café any time after 11:30 p.m., the hour they usually start a bal here in Miami, and dance a Haitian band for between $25 and $35. Tickets bought at the door are usually more expensive than those bou
ght prior.

SUNDAY, February 19, 2005

1. 8:00 BREAKFAST – Soup Joumou in Little Haiti – Cost Free

2. 10:00 a.m. Radio Show with Mapou (KREYOL WORKSHOP and other subjects)

3. 11:30 A.M. Visit Little Haiti and other Haiti related neighborhoods in Miami.

4. 12:30 P.M. LUNCH in Little Haiti at a place to be determined. Cost is about $10 to $15.

5. 2:00 Cultural afternoon. There are many suggestions, including Haitian film viewing, conference, musical concert by M Toussaint (assuming he agrees and that he is in Miami), book presentation, etc. We still welcome feasible suggestions.

6. 6:00 P.M. OPEN in case someone else wants to do something like a private party,

7. 10:00 P.M. Farewell Meeting

MONDAY, February 20, 2006

1. TRAVELING DAY – will coordinate transportation to airport once we know exactly all the attendants and their needs.

IMPORTANT:

1. All those who have expressed interest in attending must fill the form bel
ow and return it to me before October 15, 2005.

2. Besides your round trip ticket, your estimated cost for attending events and some outside meals can be a minimum of $30 for meals at Tap Tap and South Beach. Of course it can be higher if you can afford it.

3. We need volunteers for making available 2 cars that can accommodate at least five people.

4. We also need volunteers who may have a couple of rooms at family members in South Florida that can accommodate 1 or 2 people depending on our needs. The goal is that no one has to pay for hotel accommodations and transportation, except the cost for gas by a volunteer. This way the cost for the trip can be as little as the cost of the ticket plus about $50 per person. The final choice of the cultural events may slightly affect this estimate. Of course, some people's cost will be higher, but it is only because they volunteer to do so.

5. THESE ARE JUST IDEAS UNLESS YOU HAVE SOMETHING BETTER. We are still working some details of their ex
ecution.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:40 pm

A random thought: Jean-Marie, are you allowing for spouses, significant others, elatriye...

If you are, you need to ask that info as well from prospective attendees.

This is more of a random thought than a suggestion, just in case it had not occurred to you.

T-dodo

Post by T-dodo » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:39 am

I am sorry, Guy, but you have been contributing a lot with your ideas in private and I failed to give you credit for them. In fact, despite your non-promoting stance, you have been very helpful to me with critical ideas and comments on the proposals in private. As always, you are the best!

Of course, spouses and other family members are welcome. But, most of the same rules applying to us will apply to them as well. I am asking all who intend to bring family members, and also friends, to let me know by indicating that on the completed form that they have to return to me. I need the completed forms back to me in order to facilitate the coordination of the logistics of the reunion. Please make it a duty to complete and return them to me even though you have already expressed your unequivocal commitmment to attend the reunion in South Florida. There are other information on your participation that I need to know to ensure the reunion is a suc
cess.

If you have not yet committed to participate, you are welcome to do so now. I, and other members, can't wait to meet the physical person behind your great ideas you have been sharing with us on the forum. Let's make it a fun and informative reunion.

Your cooperation will be greatly appreciated.

T-dodo

Post by T-dodo » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:08 pm

Folks,

The agenda is still not fully complete yet, as I am waiting to finish coordinating with Jean Mapou as to the rest of the cultural agenda for Sunday. But, I would like to add one last item to it:

VOTE the least likely member's name, writings, and image?"

What it means is that at the end of the meeting, Sunday night or Monday morning, we take a vote. We would vote that of all the members we met during the reunion, which one physically look the least like the person we imagined he/she was through the username and writings on the forum? Of course, Guy is excluded since we aready see his picture on Windowsonhaiti.com!

Carline

Post by Carline » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:18 am

I live in South Florida so I will definitely be there :D I would like to suggest a gathering of some sort in a relaxed setting on Saturday (perhaps a picnic at one of our parks--maybe CB Smith?)

T-dodo

Post by T-dodo » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:22 am

Perhaps my timing is not the greatest one to be talking about reunion, considering the amount of love I attracted lately on the forum. But, time is approaching, and we have unfinished business. The Sunday afternoon agenda, after lunch until about 5:00 p.m., is still unresolved. It was supposed to be the cultural part of the trip.

Originally, we had some not very exciting proposals. But, Jean Mapou, our host, has proposed we did something different which he was going to suggest. Unfortunately, I still don't have those suggestions. True, Mapou is very busy now. He is a playwright and also a play director. He had a play scheduled to be shown on October 30, 2005, in theaters in Miami called:"Lanmò Josafa." Unfortunately for him, Hurricane Wilma came on October 24, 2005, and most people in Miami, including the area where the theater is located had no electricity during that week. It had to be cancelled. He rescheduled the showing of the pla
y for the end of this month. He must be pretty busy now.

I called him and left a message about two weeks ago to find out if he was able to give our project a little more thought, but to no avail. So, I am hereby asking Nekita to contact him. The purpose is to finalize the agenda for the Sunday afternoon and rekindle his interest in our project. Meanwhile, folks, the reunion is still on schedule, as far as I am concerned. Those who are committed to it should start looking at booking their airlines tickets for February and make other plans to attend. If you intend to bring family members and have not notified me yet, it is about time to make a decision.

I will be contacting those with no-sure living accomodations in the South Florida area and those with families who can accomodate guests in order to place the former at one of the latter. So, if since you filled the registration forms something else came up that can help, please let me or Nekita know. Meanwhile, we hope you had a wonderful Thank
sgiving holiday and wish you a Happy 2005 Holiday season.

T-dodo

Post by T-dodo » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:39 pm

As my November 26, 2005 message posted on this thread indicates, as far as I know the reunion is still on. If you have not made plans yet to buy your ticket for sunny Florida, you should do so now. We have more than 13 WOH members who have committed to come. That is the majority of frequent posters on this forum. I can assume it would be a pleasure to all to put a face on the writings and the ideas.

As far as the schedule of events is concerned, it still remains the same. I saw Jean Mapou three weeks ago before the showing of his play:"Lanmò Jozafa." He promised to call me, after he is done with the works on his play, to finalize the Sunday afternoon schedule. I need to follow-up on that. Otherwise, we will go back to our original plan for the afternoon which is included in one of my messages to you and posted on the forum.

I am excited about the possibility of meeting you all, and I hope you are as well. The meeting is for the b
enefit of everyone. Please let me or Nekita know if you have suggestions that may make the meeting more enjoyable and rewarding to you. We will do our best to make it so. Meanwhile, make your plan for February in Florida and we look forward to meet each other. This is the membership meeting and we hope you enjoy it. Please drop me a word as to your progress in preparing for attending the meeting, and feel free to ask me if you need help with anything.

Jean-Marie

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:29 am

Jean-Marie, ki dènyè nouvèl?

T-dodo

Post by T-dodo » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:54 am

Gen omwen twa manb ka p Miami depi jedi 16 fevriye. Men pran jou 16 ak 17 lan off lan travay lan, pou m ka kòmanse ap soti avè yo. Serge, ki se youn ladan yo, te ekri lan seksyon mizik lan yon "chronique" sou CD "Noche Tropical" ki gen saxofonis Didier Labossière. Misye ap jwe Vandredi swa lan O'Hara, lan Hollywood, Florida, avèk jazz Valerie Tyson Band lan. Entansyon mwen se mennen moun ki vle al tande tijèn saxofonis sa lan O'hara lan vandredi. Serge avè m ap voitire moun k ap vin lan reyinion an pandan de twa jou sa yo. Gen yon manb deja ke mwen fè aranjman pou loge li kay yon moun lan South Florida.

Sepandan, mwen gen konfimasyon lan ajenda mwen poko ka finn asire. Pou Samdi swa an, mwen poko kapab finn konfime si Manno Charlemagne ap jwe lan Tap-Tap lan. Jedi dènye m te ale lan Tap-Tap ankò e misye pat jwe jou sa paske li pat lan Miami. M pral eseye aswè a ankò pou m wè si m ta pale avè l pou konfime presans l
i samdi 18 Fevrye lan Tap-Tap lan. Rezon ki fè mwen pa gen konfimasyon se paske mwen te vle pou nou koute li jwe san nou pa peye lajan enplis ke sa Tap-Tap ap chaje nou pou manje. Mwen pat kwè ke manb yo te pral vle peye yon lajan special, ki te ka gwo, pou koute l lan prive.

Mwen te eseye wè si Edwidge Danticat te ka vin fè yon pale avè nou sou liv la p ekri kounye ya. Sepandan, jiska prezan mwen pa fouti pran kontak avè li. Se nimero telefòn biwo mari li ke mwen genyen. Mwen kite mesaj pou misye men li poko reponn kout fil mwen. Men gen entansyon eseye kontakte l yon lòt jan pou pale avè li.

Jean Mapou te pwomèt mwen ke diamnch matin l ap fè entèviou avè ou lan pwogram radio lan de 8:00 a 10:00 aprè breakfast. Epi aprè sa, nou gen tour lan Little Haiti jiska midi. Malgre ke mwen pale avè Mapou gen de semèn de sa, mwen poko santi ke gen yon fèm komitman. Se menm bagay pou dimanch aprèmidi. Li fè m chanje ajenda ke mwen te genyen pou dimanch aprèmidi an e li te pwomèt mwen pou l ajoute "cu
ltural events" ladan. Jiska prezan, mwen pa santi ke misye gen yon fèm komitman. Mwen ap pran yon randevou avè l vandredi pou m konnen kote m ye avè li.

Lan efò aktivite kiltirel lan, tankou dans, li poezi, piès teatral, lan yonn lan kontak mwen pran yo mwen santi ke moun yo se dèyè fè lajan yo ye. Pa gen anyen mal lan sa, sepandan pa gen anyen ke mwen knonnen kom aktivite kiltirel ayisyen pou weekend sa lan South Florida ki piblik ke mwen te ka mennen manb yo. Kididonk, si pou n jwen yon se yon bagay prive ke liye. Men, ma p kontinye chèche toujou e ma p konnen semèn pwochèn ki aktivite ki asire lan ajenda, apa lòt ke mwen te mete ke mwen pa fè kòmantè sou yo. Epi, ma tou konfime dènye nomb de manb ka p vinn lan reyinion an.

Jean-Marie

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:12 am

Jean-Marie, chache pran kontak ak Makendal, youn nan dEnye manm yo. Li enterese patisipe e li kab menm pEfome pou nou. E-mail li se makendal30@yahoo.com .

T-dodo

Post by T-dodo » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:11 am

Our WHO reunion is in two weeks, from February 18 to February 20, 2006. Some of you will come early, since Wednesday February 15th, and some of you will come right on the 18th, after work. I am lucky to have benefited of the presence of Padel yesterday. We were able to meet with Jean Mapou and have finalized some remaining details for the events on the agenda that I will be posted on the forum in the WEBZINE section for the reunion. I am very excited about the meeting as you will have not only the opportunity to socialize with those you knew only by name until now, and some are fake names, but also you will relive some our Haitian culture through food, dance, music, literature, etc.

Miami, or South Florida for that matter, is really like our dreamed Haiti when it becomes a developed country. The weather is terrific and you can go through neighborhoods after neighborhoods shopping in kreyol. We all turn our heater on when the temperature
drops below 65 for two consecutive days! There will be a bit of almost everything to make you relive our culture. If you are not nostalgic of our beloved Haiti while attending the reunion, let me know and I will recommend you to a good “shrink.” Seriously, I guarantee you will sense that home feeling during this reunion.

To those who were not aware of this reunion or who are still undecided to go, it is still time to change your mind. But, please, let me know before February 8. I need to have your name in the list so that you can enjoy all the activities. If you already sent me your flight schedule, you need to confirm the dates and times with me. If you have not already done so, please do so now. I will not be sending the info forms again. So, if you have special needs, including airport transportation, a place to stay, special diet, etc., please let me know we may be able to accommodate you.

If you were planning to arrive on Thursday night between 3:00 and 8:00 p.m. and you needed me to pick
you up at the airport, let me know early enough. Although I plan on taking Thursday off from work, I just found out that I can't miss a meeting being held from 4:00 to 7:00 p.m. on Thursday. Therefore, I would have to make other arrangements for somebody else to pick you up. Friday and Saturday are not a problem, but you need to let me know early enough so that I can arrange for transportation from the airports. I look forward to seeing you all. Padel is already here helping me and Maekendal is joining as well pretty soon.

See you on the 18th!

Jean-Marie

Michel Nau_

Post by Michel Nau_ » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:35 am

Please give us some phone numbers please! Individuals, restaurants etc..

Thanks
Michel

T-dodo

Post by T-dodo » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:40 am

Michel,

Send me a private e-mail of what you want.

jean-Marie

T-dodo

Post by T-dodo » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:39 am

I am suggesting that a member who has access to the web, while we are in South Florida, to volunteer to report on the activities of the reunion over the weekend for the benefit of those who are not attending. Anyone who wants to volunteer for that, please let me know by private message.

Jean-Marie

T-dodo

Post by T-dodo » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:52 pm

Reunion Dates: February 18-20, 2006
Attendance: About a dozen

AGENDA:

SATURDAY February 18, 2006:

1. 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Arrival in Miami/Fort Lauderdale. If I have to pick up someone from the airport, I recommend you fly to the Ft Lauderdale airport.
2. 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. Meeting at Libreri Mapou in Little Haiti. In this meeting, members will be introduced. We will discuss the agenda and the events of the next coming days. We will also assign some responsibilities of volunteers to help with the coordination of the activities of the reunion, and other logistics issues.
3. 8:00 Dinner at Tap Tap Restaurant in Miami Beach. Cost about $10 to $15 excluding drinks.
4. 9:00 Concert at Tap Tap in South Beach animated by Manno Charlemagne. He plays there each
Saturday night, unless he is not in town. We were unable to confirm yet that he will be in town this Saturday.

SUNDAY, February 19, 2005

1. 7:30 BREAKFAST at Libreri Mapou – Soup Joumou in Little Haiti
2. 9:00 to 10:00 a.m. Radio Show with Mapou (KREYOL WORKSHOP and other subjects). Guy Antoine, and maybe a couple more members, will be a guest on the radio show hosted by Jean Mapou every Sunday morning on AM Radio 1020, Radio Mega.
3. 10:30 A.M. to 12:30 A.M. Visit Little Haiti and other Haiti related neighborhoods in Miami.
4. 1:00 to 2:00 P.M. LUNCH at Libreri Mapou in Little Haiti. The entrée is likely to be chicken or fish. Please let me know if you have any special diet or need.
5. 2:00 to 4:00 P.M. is open for time with family, shopping or other sightseeing.
6. 4:00 to 7:00 P.M.[/b:e
cd994bd19] Cultural afternoon. We will be more precise about the performers later. But we have commitment for folkloric dance by young Haitian dancers of the diaspora. We are still negotiating for poetry reading, and musical performance.
7. 7:00 P.M. OPEN in case someone else wants to do something like a private party, or members spend time with their relatives in South Florida
8. 10:00 P.M. Farewell

MONDAY, February 20, 2006
1. TRAVELING DAY – will coordinate transportation to airport once we know exactly all the attendants and their needs.

IMPORTANT:

1. Besides your round trip ticket, your estimated cost for attending events and the meals together will be about $50 including meals at Tap Tap in South Beach and for lunch on Saturday. Of course it can be higher if you can afford it.
2. We will try to respect the times and dates in t
he agenda. We are asking your cooperation to try to be on time.
3. For those of you who will be in Miami before Saturday, you are invited to join us on Friday night at Ohara's in Hollywood. We will be attending the performance of saxophonist Didier Labossiere who will be performing there with the Valerie Tyson band. You can see Serge Bellegarde's review of a recent CD "Noche Tropical" in which Labossiere played the sax, that is posted in the MUSIC section of the ANN PALE Forum.

See you in Florida in two weeks.

T-dodo

Post by T-dodo » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:40 pm

Update to the Agenda

Writer/Author EDWIDGE DANTICAT has agreed to meet with the Ann Pale Forum's members to discuss her books and writing career on Sunday, February 19, 2006 by 6:00 p.m. Details of her participation will follow later.

Jean-Marie

T-dodo

Post by T-dodo » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:54 pm

Great idea, Makendal! That part of the evening was left open, so far.

T-dodo

Post by T-dodo » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:10 am

I have not been able to obtain yet more than a 7-day weather forecast. So far, all I have is up to February 16. So, I will give you the forecast for Wednesday February 15 and Thursday February 16.

WEDNESDAY:
High/low 73/65
rainy all day long

THURSDAY:
High/Low 75/66
sunny all day

I wil post the weather forecasts for Friday 17, Saturday 18, Sunday 19 and Monday February 20th for your packing needs as soon as they become available. See you in sunny Florida.

T-dodo

Post by T-dodo » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:19 am

Jedi avèk Vandredi ap gen anpil lapli Miami. Sa se move nouvèl lan. Bon nouvèl lan, sè ke tout jousa yo tanperati a ap lan mwatye 70 yo. Lòt bon nouvèl lan, sè ke Samdi solèy lan ap retounen ankò avèk bon jan tanperati lan mwatye 70 ankò.

Jean-Marie

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:49 pm

Note to Jean-Marie ak Serge:

Serge, si ou te kab fè sa rapido presto: 5 kronik mizikal ankò. Ou ta rive nan SANTENÈ A. Kon sa, nou ta kab selebre 100yèm "Chronique Musicale" lan nan Miami.

Ki sa w panse, Jean-Marie? (Serge, ou pa bezwen reponn, jis ban nou kronik yo).

Guy

T-dodo

Post by T-dodo » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:51 pm

Guy,

M panse se you bonn ide. Kanmarad Serge gen lontan lap travay pou l enfòme nou sou sa ki bon kap soti lan mizik ayisyen an. Se ta yon bel bagay ke nou selebre 100èm kronik lan.

Jean-Marie