Idea on a Reunion of WOH Community

Leonel JB

Post by Leonel JB » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:30 am

Nekita, I will try my best. I am pretty sure Food will not be an object... My Mom (very good cook) will prepare a lot of things, from Lambi to Ciriq etc. She also has this Special Mayi which she used to make long time ago in Haiti. Hmm, my mouth is watery!!!

Now, I can try to get some friends or Musicians to play. I think it is about time to get together. People, start playing with your budget. Put money aside to buy your Plane ticket, it is about time not to Peek only at the Window. You can go through the Window to meet the Founder and the very valuables: Nekita, Marilyn, Jaf, Serge, jean-Marie, Michel, Bouli, Jonas (MIA), Padel, Gelin, Zanf, Anacaona, Pauline, Hyppolite etc etc, (don't feel offended if I do not call your name). Fanmi an anpil, kidonk, gen de fwa, moun bliye non pwop pitit yo, Sorry!

Men anpil, Chay pa lou,

leonel

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:37 pm

Well, if you want to make it happen, someone or two will have to really step up to carry it out (the coordination and administration). Of course, I would be more than happy to facilitate the flow of information, but I would not make it my project. In other words, you need a couple of directeurs or "réalisateurs".

I like the idea. I met just a few of you, but I would feel enchanted to meet more. I am sure that many of you feel the same way.

Can it be done???

Anyway, it would seem that the most convenient geographical areas would be: 1) New York metro area, extending to Northern New Jersey; 2) Miami metro area, extending to Fort Lauderdale and other nearby localities; 3) Boston metro area. Sorry, Canadians, we won't come up unless you throw Michaëlle Jean in the mix somehow. We would not mind getting a royal reception.

As for Haiti... unfortunately, for such a short term projection of an event, the situation is
way too uncertain to make it worthwhile considering at this point. Perhaps some other time.

Any other venue... well, it all depends on who will be stepping up to the plate.

That's all for now.

Leonel, please refrain from talking about your mother's cooking right now. You're making me hungry.

But the biggest questions are: who would come and when?

T-dodo

Post by T-dodo » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:17 am

I just stumbled on this and I want to put the thread back up until I have time to read it later and properly respond. I like the idea of a meeting. I will be right back!

T-dodo

Post by T-dodo » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:15 pm

I have no problem being part of the organizing team, assuming Nekita remains the Chairman/Coordinator of the project. I want to help as much as possible towards a succesful completion of it.
Guy,
Is there any way to attract members' attention to this thread, like sending them e-mail notification of this answer even though they did not request to be notified? It is possible they are not aware of this thread. I am waiting for answers from people like Serge, Gelin, Padel, Jonas, Jafrikayiti, anacoana, Shelony, Widy, Bouli, Kaptenn, and many others not mentioned. By the way Nekita, who is Kaptenn? I don't remember ever seeing any posts from him.

Here are some proposed ideas:

AIR TRAVEL
Of course, each of us would be responsible for our own airfare. In case a member cannot afford it, we should discuss it. Because we are coming from many different cities, I can't see any particular discount we ca
n get for groups. But, early booking can save us lot of money. February is not a bad month at all for travel. But because people tend to escape the cold during that time, it is high traveling season, I beleive.

HOTEL
The members in the host cities should be responsible for lodging in their homes, that of their family or friends, out-of-town members who have no family in the meeting city. The rest would stay with family and friends. This way, the cost per member for the meeting would be kept low. As members expressed their desire to attend, they should indicate the meeting city of preference, whether they have a place to stay there, and whether they can accomodate other members with no relatives in the city.

FOOD
Of course, we have Leonel's mother! The ideal situation would be for out-of-town visitors not having to pay for food, by rotating meals prepared by hosts, or cooked by members for benefit of others - host provides groceries
- served at local members or their relatives' homes, such as barbecues, etc.

FORMAL MEETING PLACE FOR WORKSHOPS
This one is a bit tougher, depending on the chosen place and type of formal meetings decided upon and their purposes. Some can be held in a Haitian restaurant where one meal per person is an excuse to keep the place for two hours of formal meeting. I am waiting for your ideas on that, if needed.

TRANSPORTATION
Within the city, it should be provided by host members. Otherwise, we can always rent a minivan and share the costs. Once we know the number of attendants, we would know the solution to this challenge.

ENTERTAINMENT
There are a lot of ideas on that. Make them coming!
By the way, if it's in Miami like Nekita suggested, The Florida Grand Opera is playing "The Barber of Seville" on February 11, which I think will coincide with the weekend of this reunion. Perhaps, some of
you would like to watch that while being there. Of course, there is plenty to do in Miami, just name it! Your ideas are welcome.

So, Guy, see if you can make sure that all members are notified of this e-mail. Then, we will wait for the expression of interest for those who would like to attend. The sooner you let us know, the better.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:48 pm

JGPalmis, please notify Nekita Lamour and/or Jean-Marie Florestal privately (using this forum's Private Messages feature or by e-mail). This forum category is for ideas ONLY, not for notification of attendance.

T-dodo

Post by T-dodo » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:48 am

Great ideas, Serge! I would like to hear from the others as well. In addition, at my last count there were about a dozen members fully committed to come. To me, that's good enough to go ahead with organizing the meeting. I wonder whether Guy agrees with that?

Also, there seems to be a majority who wants to hold this in Miami. Do we all agree on the location? We must make that decision early, since it will affect everything else. As one of the organizers, and I live in the Miami area, it will make it easier for me to organize since it is in my area.

So, please, let us have your ideas of how best the reunion will meet your needs. I like a lot the way Serge put it and his idea of a conference between us and another with outsiders. I really would like that somehow the meeting deals with something serious about Haiti. I am not referring to just us pontificating about it, but perhaps some action that turns into something tangible that t
he meeting can be remembered for. Perhaps, Guy can use the meeting as well to deal face to face with some issues he may or may not have with behavior on the forum. Some kind of house cleanning. That is up to him! In any case, please post your ideas and we will do our best to make them realized. Let's try to make the reunion fun and useful at the same time.

T-dodo

Post by T-dodo » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:26 pm

Another idea about events is to do a workshop on suggestions of how to make things better for Haiti. I beleive we had a topic where we have presented suggestions for a better Haiti. Perhaps we can go to this thread and pick up things that we will work on from now on until the reunion. Then, we will vote on them during the reunion. Afterwards, we will send them as intellectual contributions of the diaspoara to the government of Haiti via either the Haitian Ambassador in Washington or some officials in Haiti. Perhaps, it is a bad idea that is not worth even mentioning. If so, disregard it we will find something else. Forgive me for doing brainstorming and thinking loud in public.

Leonel JB

Post by Leonel JB » Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:31 pm

Guys, I remember volunteering my mom for the food. But, there is a problem. I don't know how she would feel about Miami. I will let her know when everything is in the final phase.

Manman m fO nan dojo pa l. Map mande si l ka jwe nan teren neutr.
leonel

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:27 pm

Jean-Marie, it's okay to do some brainstorming in this space. Only registered members can see it. In other words, you must login with username and password to access this thread.

[quote]In addition, at my last count there were about a dozen members fully committed to come. To me, that's good enough to go ahead with organizing the meeting. I wonder whether Guy agrees with that? [/quote]
JM, I was going to give you my blessing, but then I remembered some guys in Haiti waiting for JBA's blessing, so I said "well, forget about that!".

But, really, the judgment call as to go forward with the idea or not has to come from the organizers/coordinators. I only volunteered to be a communications facilitator. Perhaps we need additional volunteers and facilitators of whatever sort [travel, lodging, hosting, event planning, advertising, budgeting (including estimating costs and evaluating ways to
reduce them), etc...] I suspect that we may have to be somewhat patient about gathering more ideas and more commitment from Ann Pale members before pressing fully with the organizing. On the other hand, it might be necessary to press fully with the organizing before more commitment materializes. What comes first... the chicken or the egg? I don't mean this to be a philosophical question, but any forum member who is in the least interested in seeing a Windows on Haiti get-together has to realize that at the present time, this is as informal an undertaking as it could possibly be, and everyone has a real opportunity to contribute and make it not only possible but an unprecedented act of true community among Haitians.

This would most definitely not be Guy Antoine's thing, even though I am indeed the creator of Windows on Haiti. I have declined the option of becoming a main organizer of this eventual get-together.
I just hope that you will not mind my offering ideas for such, alongside yours. In addition, I have volunteered to facilitate the communications process, because I am in a privileged position to do exactly that. Beyond this, I truly just want to be like any one else in this group, that is any one who is genuinely interested to see the realization of such a wonderful impulse of fraternizing among people who have communicated with each other for quite some time in the virtual space.

Just a few more thoughts about key concepts that can make or break this project:

1) Time -- Every one I know is short of it. We cannot expect Jean-marie or any of the other organizers to devote an enormous amount of that one resource that we all feel is scarce in our personal lives. Therefore, truly, more people would have to step up and say: "I am willing to help to make this happen."

2) Money -- That's another resource that a lot of us (I suspect) have only in very short supply. We would need to displ
ay a fair amount of creativity to overcome this constraint.

3) Politics -- the great divider of the Haitian people. I would suggest that we scrupulously avoid it. We are not in this to advance any politician's cause. Windows on Haiti's political interest is to see Haitians maintaining pride in their land and participating in its development. Therefore the politics of total human development may be a motivating force behind our coming together, but partisan politics should most definitely be checked at the door.

4) Good faith and participation -- Enough said. It's up to our collectivity, but it's primarily up to Y-O-U if you have read this far.

What are YOUR thoughts on this topic? Can YOU possibly contribute in any way to its successful realization (even if you were not able to be present!) ?

Leonel JB

Post by Leonel JB » Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:47 am

In term of music, I am wondering if Gifrants can volunteer to entertain us?

I would like to hear your music, GIfrants.

leonel

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:33 am

That would be a terrific idea, leonel.

Martha

Post by Martha » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:29 pm

For the past couple of months, I have hardly ever been able to find the time to check out WOH because of some unusual family responsibilities, so I'm really late joining this thread. I don't know yet whether I'll be able to afford the time or the money to attend this reunion, but it sure sounds tempting. I can't tell you how much I would love to be able to put faces to the names on WOH. (And I can't tell you how "homesick" I am for Haiti, for Haitians, for Creole. This would be a great "fix!")

Of course, Miami in February would be lovely. But one of the Northern cities would be less expensive to travel to. (A point that has already been at least hinted at.) And Nekita is right--it's well nigh impossible to cash in on frequent flyer miles these days.

Anyway--I'll contact Nekita directly, but I think I'd like to be a "maybe" at this point. I'll really have to look at the budget and the time constraints.

Mart
ha