Resurrection of Windows on Haiti

bcreider

Resurrection of Windows on Haiti

Post by bcreider » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:36 pm

Facebook and this forum are just not the same. This was a fascinating intellectual clearing house for comments, observations on current events, and philosophical, political and even theological positions and responses. I miss it. Facebook has its place, but it is more of a five second in and out sort of place. Zanmi Ak Konbatan Ann Pale, which I still read faithfully (at least the English portions) seems to have become a one position sounding board, primarily because of neglect and the lack of a variety of positions being represented.

There are currently topics aplenty in what now passes for "the news." But are there any takers to a dialog any more or have we all gotten too busy for this sort of stimulating ongoing conversation? Or too discouraged?

I plan to retire from my elementary teaching job in May. Its been a fun run but its not much fun any more. Many, many teachers are bailing and many more desperately want to. I'm one of the lucky ones and can retire.

Merry Christmas and Holiday Greetings to all and undending gratitude and respect to my many teachers that I have found on this board.

Gelin

Re: Resurrection of Windows on Haiti

Post by Gelin » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:02 pm

It was just a matter of time. I have a feeling this is going to be great!

Tidodo

Post by Tidodo » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:47 pm

The University is now back in business. Let's sharpen our pencils to acquire new knowledge, while at the same time make good on what we learned from the previous terms. This is a fresh start.

bcreider

Post by bcreider » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:05 pm

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/f ... ster-chant

So let me post this as an opening volley. What is the agenda? Simply selling news? Why are they able to get away with this sort of thing?

bcreider

Post by bcreider » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:13 pm

Here's another: Is the music industry actively against protest music on this?

http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2014/12/ques ... -in-music/

Shelony

Post by Shelony » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:05 am

I am also very excited about the reopening of the forum as so many of us noticed, the facebook version is really not the same. It was fun exchanging on so many topics and I learned so much from this community. I am looking forward to great discussions.

Tidodo

Post by Tidodo » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:11 pm

Okay Bcreider, perhaps your questions related to the article of TPM:Watch...Fox Station...Deceptively... should have been posted as a separate topic. But I'd venture an opinion on it here anyway.

You wrote:"So let me post this as an opening volley. What is the agenda? Simply selling news? Why are they able to get away with this sort of thing"?
At first, I thought your questions were rhetorical. But your last question concerning their audience has nuances to it.

Well, it is a for-profit corporation.

There is an appetite for interpretation of news that fits one's political positions.

As long as the appetite is there, they can continue to cut corners, within certain limits, with impunity. Unless one day some can prove a pattern of deceit, show that they were financially harmed by it, and got damages in court that threaten the news sellers financially, they will get away with it. The television journalism of Edward R. Murrow is for all intents and purposes dead.

bcreider

Post by bcreider » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:19 pm

If news is not even making a pretense at being factual, what possible use does it have? If it just follows and supports a political script, how can a democracy function? This makes no sense to me. I've found my consumption of news, which used to be quite high, has fallen off considerably in the last couple of years. But it is like trying to drive blind.