I Cried

Tayi

I Cried

Post by Tayi » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:07 pm

Fanmi,

I cried at church today, but it's not what you think.

My friend's mother just had surgery a few days ago to remove her right breast due to a tumor that was found in it. She has been recuperating very well, but today she was not feeling well at church. She became suddenly dizzy and threw up. Her daughter asked me to call 911, and there begin the reasons for my tears.

First, I was so moved by the truly human care the EMT's gave her. They were on-time, patient, and might I say even loving. Of course there were a few people in the nearby pews who came to offer their affection even if they could not give her any medical attention (except for the Haitian doctor who was also providentially there). Seeing humans love and care for one another just does something to me; it always moves me to the depths of my being. I cannot always put it into words as to the precise explanation.

I cried for a second reason: I was so grateful that for any emergency, I can just pull out my cell phone, dial 911 and help will come! and the majority of times within minutes! It saddens me greatly that we do not have this reliable system in our homeland.

A couple years ago, I came across an accident where a nine-year-old girl was hit by a car on the main "highway" near the center of Miragwàn. I was certainly struck with sorrow. But, what was also sad and maddening is the fact that no emergency personnel ever came by. Even when a police officer came, instead of going to the little girl to see how he could help, he just started to direct traffic. When I asked him if there was not an ambulance in the area, he responded that he thought there might be one at the nearby hospital. "COULD YOU SEND FOR IT?!??" I wanted to scream, but said it in a calmer voice instead. Even after half an hour, no ambulance came and of course the little girl died (probably instantly when she was hit, but no attempt was made to even try to save her in case she might still have some life left in her). A few months ago, I found out that little Vanessa was a distant cousin of mine.

God help us.

Tayi

Shelony

Post by Shelony » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:19 pm

I understand you brother. In such an egocentric world, it is easy to believe that humanism no longer exist, but fortunately, it does and will continue.
The second reason you cried even touches me deeper because I am becoming more and more pessimistic about what may happen to Haiti during my lifetime. It saddens me because when I was a little girl growing up in rural Leogane, I never envisioned myself living away from Leogane, let alone Haiti. I always thought that Haiti will get better before I die but frankly now I do not see how. I think if my generation works hard enough, maybe our grand children will see a better Haiti but we need to work really really hard.

I don't know if you are following what's happening at the State medical school in Port-au-Prince. It's really sad.

Shelony

jafrikayiti

Post by jafrikayiti » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:17 pm

Tayi and Shelony,

Glad to hear from both of you, after so long. Things are indeed going in the wrong direction in Haiti. However, i would caution against pessimism - one because it is counterproductive and two because our past teaches us that, as a people born in struggle, we must not desire to foresee the day of victory as a factor to motivate us. Right in the middle of 1803, mothers were watching in horror the fruits of their wombs being devoured by Rochambeau's human-eating dogs. The Africans could not see how they would manage to rid the island of the barbaric slavers. Yet, it came to pass on a blessed November 18, 1803 day. The culmination of hundreds of years of struggle which started from the shores of Africa, the Atlantic ocean, islands, mainlands, transportation, sales, sell-outs, betrayal, deceptions, depressions, isolation.....through it all we survived...a granddaughter saw what her elder had conceived only in her dreams....But, it is the fact that she had the audacity to dream during the worst season of all that Vertieres came to be. Beni yo ! epi alalit pitit zaka, alalit!

Jaf

Tayi

Amen

Post by Tayi » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:29 pm

Amèn, vye frè!

My brother, it is always a pleasure to read from you, and this is no exception. I absolutely agree with your caution on pessimism and I receive it well. I want you to know that I am quite hopeful even when things look hopeless. In fact so much so that many who have asked me about my hope are left in dismay for they do not see how I can believe anything positive will come from Haiti. BUT I BELIEVE! And your words revitalize my hope in a way that only jafrikayiti can do :-) Thank you brother. I also believe that we must be able to mourn our current state (which is what I do above) so we can be motivated to change, to indeed go ALALIT! We CAN change our country! We CAN have better roads. We CAN have a better health system. We CAN have emergency response. WE CAN, WE CAN, WE CAN! So let us...

Tayi

Tayi

Post by Tayi » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:30 am

Shelony,

My sister, I'm sorry I forgot to greet you earlier. I really appreciate your sympathetic note about my experience. Thank you for your sisterhood. I am happy that we share a common heritage.

Leogane is still a very pretty place as I see it when I drive through every time I go to Miragoane.

God bless you and our country.

Tayi

Leoneljb

Post by Leoneljb » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:23 am

Great to hear from all of you!
I appreciate the fact that we are optimistic. Myself, I believe we can see "Real Change" pretty soon. I also have a feeling based on what I've heard that Haiti will be another touristic spot which can have two sides.
One, it would be great for the development of our infrastuctures...
The other which is "Skepticism". I am very skeptical of the People who would benefit from this "giant Project". For, it's coming from People who only wory about what's in their pocket... Lan bon anglE, sanble pwojE developman Ayiti se pou Blan gwo babinn ansanm ak ti sousou ti figi bO lakay...
Antouka, ann swiv. Paske, se opinyon'm. Sa pa vle di se verite.
Anyway, I am happy to hear from all of you.
Resesyon fE ti nEg anba pay...
Leonel