American Charities Raise $709-Million for Haiti Relief

Guysanto
Site Admin

American Charities Raise $709-Million for Haiti Relief

Post by Guysanto » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:12 pm

I received the following information from in an e-mail from Charles Arthur.

[quote]American Charities Raise $709-Million for Haiti Relief, Chronicle Tally Finds

A month after the devastating earthquake in Haiti donors have contributed more than $709-million to support relief efforts.

Aid to Haiti got a big lift from a star-studded telethon that was broadcast on major television networks January. Donations made in response to the telethon totaled $66-million, and organizers awarded $35-million in grants on February 5.

Among the results:

• Action Aid has raised $295,000 as of February 12.

• Action Against Hunger has raised nearly $2.8-million as of February 3.

• Adventist Development and Relief Agency had raised more than $2.7-million as of January 25.

• The American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee had raised approximately $5.25-million as of February 12.

• American Jewish World Service had raised $5-million as of February 2 for its Haiti Earthquake Relief Fund.

• American Red Cross had raised approximately $271-million as of February 12, including $6-million from last month’s Hope for Haiti telethon. More than $32-million was pledged to the Red Cross via text message.

• AmeriCares had raised more than $10-million as of February 12.

• Brother’s Brother Foundation had raised more than $600,000 from 3,731 donations as of February 12.

• CARE USA had raised $10.4-million as of February 12.

• Catholic Medical Mission Board had raised $1.3-million in cash as of February 3. The organization has also received donations of medicines and medical supplies worth $10.6-million.

• Catholic Relief Services had secured $37.3-million in gifts and pledges as of February 3. Approximately $14.2-million was donated online.

• ChildFund International had raised more than $176,000 as of Tuesday.

• The Clinton Bush Haiti Fund had raised more than $40-million as of February 11.

• The William J. Clinton Foundation had received more than $11.9-million as of February 11.

• Concern Worldwide US had raised $2.5-million as of February 12.

• Cross International had raised $363,754 through its radio programs as of February 12, while the Cross International Alliance had raised $647,789 online as of February 3.

• Direct Relief International had raised $4.8-million in cash as of February 12.

• The Doctors Without Borders U.S. operations had raised $43.5-million for work in Haiti as of February 3. The organization had also received $15-million for its general Emergency Relief Fund.

• Feed the Children had raised $1-million as of February 12.

• Fonkoze USA had raised $1.3-million as of February 3.

• Friends of the World Food Program had raised $4.3-million as of February 12.

• Habitat for Humanity had raised $2.08-million as of February 2.

• The Humane Society of the United States/Humane Society International had raised more than $1-million as of February 2.

• International Medical Corps had raised roughly $4.5-million as of February 2.

• The International Rescue Committee had raised nearly $4.5-million as of February 3.

• Internews Network, a nonprofit group that promotes journalism abroad, received $200,000 from the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation to help the news media in Haiti recover from the disaster and broadcast critical information about the relief efforts.

• Islamic Relief USA had raised $1.7-million as of February 2.

• Lutheran World Relief had raised more than $3.2-million as of February 12.

• Medical Teams International had raised $2.5-million as of February 3.

• Mennonite Central Committee had raised more than $3.2-million from donors in the United States as of February 12. The group had raised another $5.1-million in Canada.

• Mercy Corps had received $11.6-million as of February 12.

• Operation USA had raised $910,000 in cash as of February 12.

• Oxfam America had received $21.3-million as of February 12, $8-million of which came from last month’s Hope for Haiti Now telethon.

• The Pan American Development Foundation had raised $30,000 online as of January 20, twice what it raised after flooding in Haiti in 2009. But the group estimates that it will need $10-million just for recovery efforts.

• Partners in Health had received donations totaling $44-million as of February 3.

• Plan USA had raised $1.3-million as of February 12. The group’s international affiliates had raised $29.3-million.

• Population Services International had raised $125,000 as of February 2.

• Project HOPE had raised $1.25-million in cash and pledges as of February 2. Corporations have pledged more than $20-million in medicine and medical equipment.

• Relief International had raised more than $376,000 as of February 3.

• The Salvation Army had raised $10.3-million as of February 12.

• Save the Children USA had raised $17-million as of February 12. The organization’s international affiliates had raised $48-million.

• The U.N. Foundation had raised more than $3.4-million as of February 12.

• The Unitarian Universalist Service Committee had raised roughly $988,000 as of February 12, more than $502,000 of which had been collected online. The group is supporting four grassroots charities in Haiti.

• The United Methodist Committee on Relief had raised more than $6-million as of February 2.

• The University of Miami had received more than $4.63-million as of February 2 for its relief efforts in Haiti. The university runs a community health program and other projects in Haiti, and more than 100 of its doctors, nurses, and other staff members have traveled to Haiti since the earthquake.

• The U.S. Fund for Unicef had received $44.7-million in cash and pledges as of February 12. That figure includes $6-million contributed as part of the Haiti telethon.

• World Vision’s U.S. operations had received $24.7-million in cash as of February 12. It has also received $7-million in donations of products.

Caroline Preston, Nicole Wallace, and Ian Wilhelm compiled this list.[/quote]

Barb

Post by Barb » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:28 pm

So where's it all going?

Barb

Post by Barb » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:31 pm

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/abr ... y_id=57227

Red Cross needs to explain $175 million gap.

Barb

Post by Barb » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:32 pm

Feb 12th, 2010
Haiti Numbers – 27 Days After Quake

By Bill Quigley

Bill has visited Haiti numerous times working for human rights. He is legal director of the Center for Constitutional Rights. His email is quigley77@gmail.com

890 million. Amount of international debt that Haiti owes creditors. Finance ministers from developing countries announced they will forgive $290 million. Source: Wall Street Journal

644 million. Donations for Haiti to private organizations have exceed $644 million. Over $200 million has gone to
the Red Cross, who had 15 people working on health projects in Haiti before the earthquake. About $40 million has gone to Partners in Health, which had 5,000 people working on health in Haiti before the quake. Source: New York Times.

1 million. People still homeless or needing shelter in Haiti. Source: MSNBC.

1 million. People who have been given food by the UN World Food Program in Port au Prince – another million in Port au Prince still need help. Source: UN World Food Program.

300,000. People injured in the earthquake, reported by Haitian Prime Minister Jean-Max Bellerive. Source: CNN.

212,000. People reported killed by earthquake by Haitian Prime Minister Jean-Max Bellerive. Source: CNN.

63,000. There are 63,000 pregnant women among the people displaced by the earthquake. 7,000 women will deliver their children each month. Source: UN Populations Fund.

17,000. Number of United States troops stationed on or off coast in Haiti, down from a high of 22,000. AFP.

9,000. United Nations troops in Haiti. Miami Herald.

7,000. Number of tents distributed by United Nations. Miami Herald. President Preval of Haiti has asked for 200,000 tents. Reuters.

4,000. Number of amputations performed in Haiti since the earthquake. AFP.

900. Number of latrines that have been dug for the people displaced from their homes. Another 950,000 people still need sanitation. Source: New York Times.

75. An hourly wage of 75 cents per hour is paid by the United Nations Development Program to peoplein Haiti who have been hired to help in the clean up. The UNDP is paying 30,000 people to help clean up Haiti, 180 Haitian Gourdes ($4.47) for six hours of work. The program hopes to hire 100,000 people. Source: United Nations News Briefing.

1.25. The U.S. is pledged to spend as much as $379 million in Haitian relief. This is about $1.25 for each person in the
United States. Canadian Press.

1. For every one dollar of U.S. aid to Haiti, 42 cents is for disaster assistance, 33 cents is for the U.S. military, 9 cents is for food, 9 cents is to transport the food, 5 cents to pay Haitians to help with recovery effort, 1 cent is for the Haitian government and ½ a cent is for the government of the Dominican Republic. Source: Associated Press.

Barb

Post by Barb » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:44 pm

Let's see...709 million dollars divided by $4.47 per day at $.75 per hour equals 160,404,000 work days and the population of Haiti is, what, 9 million? Estimating 1/3 of them as available, able bodied with nothing much else to do and a willingness to work...

Guysanto
Site Admin

Post by Guysanto » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:33 pm

Barb, I did not know you as a digger... but apparently, you've been doing some digging. Reminds me of Marilyn...

Barb

Post by Barb » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:57 pm

This comes from reading "Travesty in Haiti."

Guysanto
Site Admin

Post by Guysanto » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:15 pm

Great, thank God I recommended it early and as soon as I read it. I wish more people would read it, but I have never been very persuasive in getting people to buy books. You are one of the exceptions.

Barb

Post by Barb » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:13 pm

Speaking of which...

This appeared on the Pwoje Espwa blog today, posted by the priest who does the fund raising and is sort of the spokesperson for the place.

"We were visited today by five representatives from the UN, AVSI (an Italian international non-profit) and Terre des Hommes (a Swiss international NGO). So far, there have been twenty investigators come to "visit". They are all concerned for the welfare of the children and were pulled in to Haiti from other countries to defend the rights of the children. They asked questions like: does every child have a bed? What are they eating? Are we providing counseling? Are they getting medical treatment? What are our plans for their education? We answered their queries and they appeared satisfied.
So, being the smart-aleck I am, I asked them questions like: How much are you paid? Are you getting hazardous duty benefits? Who pays your rent? Who paid for your new car? Do you have an expense account? How many children have you fed today? Bought any medicine? Would you consider tithing to help the children? Silence.
They come to guarantee the safety of the children but don't offer us a dime for their care. I wonder how much is being spent on this? How many reports will be generated in triplicate and then collated and made into a major human rights publication?
Now I know that some of this is absolutely necessary but there are times, like right now, when it just seems out of whack with reality. Where were these inquisitive, caring people before the earthquake? Child abuse and neglect have been rampant for years here. The whole restavek situation has been begging to be addressed for a very long time.
About ten years ago I went to PaP and sought out help for the children at the major NGOs. Beautiful offices, gleaming cars, freezing air-conditioning are what I saw. Everyone was busy writing, editing, proposing, meeting, planning and strategizing... No money in the budgets for feeding or clothing children. No, that kind of help is non-productive! They were working to change systems so that future generations will be better off. Ahuh!
Told you this was bitter."

Tayi

Post by Tayi » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:02 pm

I was throwing a fit when I was reading the questions that those punks, I mean, researchers were asking but then I read Fr. Marc's quick response with his own questions, and I felt so satisfied! Yeah, Father, you tell 'em!

Guy, I am thinking of getting that book now that I see it on here...

Tayi

Guysanto
Site Admin

Post by Guysanto » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:48 pm

"those punks"...oh my God, even Tayi gets angry! ;-)

Tayi, it appears to me that the book is self-published and available through Amazon.com. My educated guess is that the number of copies is very limited. I would urge you to get your copy now. I am glad that Barb got her copy. I passed my copy to Frantz and I will probably have to fight him to get it back.

Tayi

Post by Tayi » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:06 pm

[quote]oh my God, even Tayi gets angry![/quote]
Oh my brother, you have no idea! :-)
I DO believe in righteous anger (Remember Jesus throwing the tables over in the temple...).

I'll share an angry story soon in a different thread. :-)