Alice Walker: We Can Offer What We Are

Guysanto
Site Admin

Alice Walker: We Can Offer What We Are

Post by Guysanto » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:58 pm

http://codepink4peace.org/blog/2009/02/ ... at-we-are/

[quote]Alice Walker: We Can Offer What We Are

Posted by admin - Thu, Feb 19, 2009

During the recent ruthless assault on the people of Gaza when so many people were injured or murdered, I lost my own sister; she had been ill for many years. The loss of this one person, whose death was anticipated, was such a blow, that when I considered the losses to the people of Gaza – of mothers, children, fathers, brothers, uncles, cousins, and friends, I wondered how the anguish of so much tragic loss could be sustained. Housing, hospitals, nurseries, libraries, schools, were also lost. Surely the blow to the human spirit would be intolerable for many, and there would seem little reason for continuing to live.

Going to Gaza is our opportunity (my partner Garrett Larson's and mine) to express solidarity with the people there. To demonstrate the concern we feel each day for the suffering endured. To remind the people of Gaza and ourselves that we belong to the same world: the world where grief is not only acknowledged, but shared; where we see injustice and call it by its name; where we see suffering and know the one who stands and sees is also harmed, but not nearly so much as the one who stands and sees and says and does nothing. We can bring our witness, one of life's strongest gifts, as others have come to our side, witnessing our struggle, when life appeared impossible to bear. When all is lost, or nearly lost, tenderness remains, or could. We can offer what we are.

Alice WALKER
February 19, 2009[/quote]

Guysanto
Site Admin

Post by Guysanto » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:04 pm

Some of the comments to the above piece, including mine:

[quote]David Holzman Says:
February 20th, 2009 at 11:49 am

Although I agree with most of what you stand for I'm really disgusted with your one-sidedness vis a vis Israel and Gaza. Israel has faced the terrorism of rocket strikes from Gaza for years. When you don't know when and where the rockets will land–and they might land on your kids' school–that's terrorism.[/quote]

[quote]Guy S. Antoine Says:
February 20th, 2009 at 12:00 pm

“…where we see injustice and call it by its name; where we see suffering and know the one who stands and sees is also harmed, but not nearly so much as the one who stands and sees and says and does nothing.” Thank you for those TRUE words, as few can so beautifully phrase it. Thank you for your ACTION. I stand, WE stand UNITED against the atrocities inflicted on the Palestinians by the Israeli government and our own taxpayer-funded and miserably blind support of such inhumane policies. Also, stand if you will against the announced deportation of 30,000 Haitian immigrants back to Haiti which cannot absorb them back at this point. Let a new era of change be meaningful for all of us, from Palestinians to U.S. Americans to Haitians to the whole world.[/quote]

[quote]William Slavick Says:
February 20th, 2009 at 1:08 pm

David, the rocketing from Gaza (not all Hamas) is a consequence of over half a century of calculated, planned systematic dispossession of Palestinian Arabs from their land, homes, and livelihoods. Targeting civilians–COMMON ISRAELI PRACTICE IN ALL MILITARY CAMPAIGNS–is morally and legally wrong, nonetheless. STill, Gaza had become an Israel prison, its best land exploited by 5000 Israeli settlers. When Hamas won an election the U.S. and Israel (reluctantly) demanded, instead of agreeing to Hamas' offer of a ten-year truce, Israel set about assassinating its leadership. In response, Hamas rocketed Israel in an effort to make them stop. Israel also blockaded Gaza, an act of war, an international war crime. Hamas declared a unilateral truce, which Israel's repeated provocations sought to end, finally winning a Hamas declaration that it would not renew the ceasefire by bombing Rafah Nov. 4th, killing six. Hamas renewed rocketing; rockets have now killed something like 23 in ten years. Israel's military attack killed 200, almost all civilians, in its first hour. It deliberately targeted hospitals, schools, marketplaces. The reality is that Israel has become as racist as Nazi Germany, has lost its moral compass, and sees nothing to do in any situation but lash out violently, massively, murderously.[/quote]

Read all at CODE PINK : http://codepink4peace.org/blog/2009/02/ ... at-we-are/

Leoneljb

Post by Leoneljb » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:14 am

AMEN!
I think a lot of People now know what is going on in Gaza or Palestine. It's a matter of time for us to see a "BIG CHANGE"...
That Occupation/Slaughtering needs to stop!
We all know now that these Palestinians were kicked out from their land, because somehow "God" the Real Estate Broker promised their Land to Israel... Sa se Istwa IzrayEL from the Holy Book????
Leonel