Culinary Arts Institute
1 meaty smoked ham hock
1 capon (7 to 8 pounds)
2 tablespoons bacon drippings
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon peanut oil
3 quarts water
1 pound cabbage, cut in chunks
4 small potatoes, pared and cut in chunks
2 carrots, pared and cut in chunks
2 white turnips. pared and cut in chunks
2 onions studded with 8 whole cloves
2 celery stalks, cut in pieces
2 leeks, washed and cut in chunks
Salt, pepper, and cayenne or red pepper to taste
1. Soak ham hock in cold water to remove excess salt. Drain.
2. Truss capon as for roasting. Rub skin with cut side of lime half, then cut side of orange half. Let stand to drain.
3. Heat bacon drippings, butter, and peanut oil in a deep soup kettle. Brown capon. Add ham hock, water, and bouquet garni
bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes, skim
4. Add vegetables and seasonings, bring to a boil, skim, then cook over low heat 30 minutes, or until vegetables and meats are tender.
5. Put the capon on a large platter and surround with drained vegetables and cooked white rice. Drink the broth from cups.
1 post • Page 1 of 1