Culinary Arts Institute
3 scallions or green onions, chopped
2 parsley sprigs
1 green hot pepper or 6 dried Italian pepper pods
2 tablespoons peanut oil
2 cups dried red beans, rinsed
2 quarts water
1 small ham hock
1 cup cubed ham
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a mortar, pound to a paste the scallions, parsley, shallots, and hot pepper.
2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat, add seasoning paste, beans, and bouquet garni. Stir until beans are lightly coated with oil.
3. Add water, ham hock, and cubed ham and bring to boiling. Cover and simmer 2 hours, or until beans are tender.
4. Remove ham hock. Process beans and juice in an electric blender or force through a food mill.
5. Return sauce to Dutch oven and bring to boiling. Season with salt and pepper.Serve warm over white rice or meats.
Makes 1 1/2 quarts.
1 post • Page 1 of 1