We are urging for the safe return of Lovinsky Pierre-Antoine

Chantalle

We are urging for the safe return of Lovinsky Pierre-Antoine

Post by Chantalle » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:14 pm

August 14, 2007
For Immediate Release:

We are urging for the safe return of Lovinsky Pierre-Antoine.
Port au Prince, Haiti
Contacts: Eugenia Charles and Jacob François
Phone 011-509-698-8134, 011-509-448-3672

Our international human rights delegation seeks the safe return of Lovinsky Pierre Antoine. A long-time defender of human rights and advocate of the poor, Lovinsky Pierre Antoine has not been seen since 10:00 pm Sunday, August 12, 2007. Our delegation has made numerous attempts to contact him but thus far has been unsuccessful.

Lovinsky Pierre Antoine is the national coordinator of September 30th Foundation and has frequently been targeted for his advocacy work. Lovinsky has been touring the country with our delegation which includes American, Canadian, and Haitian nationals. The delegation has been meeting with Haitian grassroots organizations, government officials and individuals to gather information about the human rights situation in Haiti. The delegation has negotiated the release of two illegally imprisoned Haitians earlier this month; two more prisoners from the same tribunal are awaiting release.

The vehicle Lovinsky was driving was found in the neighborhood of Delmas 10 in Port au Prince. Subsequent searches have not revealed his location. We urge everyone who is a friend of Haiti and supporter of the struggle of the Haitian people to appeal to those who may have seen him or have any information about his whereabouts. If you have information regarding Lovinsky, please contact us at the above numbers.

We are deeply concerned because it has been over 48 hours since Lovinsky has been seen or heard from. We are encouraging the government, MINUSTAH, and international organizations and institutions to collaborate for his safe return.

Guysanto
Site Admin

Post by Guysanto » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:45 pm

It's now been 9 whole days and every day that passes dims the prospect of getting Lovinsky released alive and well. I am not in favor of any abatement of the punishment that must legally be applied to anyone involved in acts of terror such as this, which will or should be aggravated of course by any additional injury inflicted on the the victim. However, has any organization come up with an incentive for anyone who would provide information leading to the liberation of Mr. Pierre-Antoine or the timely arrest of his abductors?

In a country as small and as poor as Haiti, I imagine that not much can happen without someone witnessing something about it. We need to tap into a ready-made informant system. The lure of a financial reward may loosen up tongues that are otherwise bound by fear or indifference.

Unfortunately, money is tight all around... or nearly so. Surely, there are some entities with big money that profess to be on the democratic side.

I fear for Lovinsky and I must say again that no one who has worked so doggedly hard and fearlessly against political arbitrariness and on behalf of its victims should end up victimized himself in this fashion, though that is exactly what the risk was all along. May luck (or whomever/whatever manufactures it) be on his side.

Gelin

Post by Gelin » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:22 pm

Are they actively searching for him? Is there a team in charge of the investigation? Is anybody doing anything serious at all?

gelin

jafrikayiti

Post by jafrikayiti » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:53 am

The latest I have seen about this case is posted on my blog:
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... =300818120

The picture and note that is circulating on the web about this case is indeed very disturbing.

Jaf