A positive image of a Black Man:

Guysanto
Site Admin

A positive image of a Black Man:

Post by Guysanto » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:40 am

I was sent these links by several of my friends. I absolutely love it! If you have yet to see these videos, turn on your speakers and listen. What a refreshing change from the stereotyped images of young black men! I loved the second video even more than the first, but it really does not gel until you've seen the first. My best advice to my Windows on Haiti friends for quite a while: See both of these, and share with a young man (or men) and a young lady (or ladies) you know. Derrick is going a long way, and so can all of your loved ones when they set their objectives sufficiently high and their priorities straight. Props to Derrick! He's got his in the right place.

[quote]Powerful. I initially wasn't going to sit through both (the first is 5 1/2 minutes and the second is about 7 minutes), but it was well worth it.
If you have not already heard/seen....PLEASE HEAR/SEE THESE.

If you don't vote, you have no right to complain.

Now this is an email to pass around...
If you have not checked this out yet already, please take 12 minutes and do so. Two video clip links. Watch them in the order provided.

This young man (Derrick) is absolutely incredible. Please listen to both of these videos (first one first). I think the interviewer in the first link thought he was going to get a different kind of response from this young man. Was he ever surprised.

Video: Interviewer Picks The Wrong Obama Supporter to Try To Railroad « Think On These Things

Video: Obama Supporter, Derrick, Responds to the Video and Explains Emotional View « Think On These Things

[/quote]

Serge

Post by Serge » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:41 am

You are absolutely right, Guy. I watched the video from start to finish and I loved it. If the interviewer was looking to show that Obama's supporters are a bunch of young punks, he got his surprise. In fact you can hear it at the end.

Like Guy, I encourage people to watch it.

Serge

jafrikayiti

Post by jafrikayiti » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:42 pm

Bon bagay !

I have only been able to watch this today. Derrick is in all aspects, the perfect person to have been interviewed that day , in this oontext. Blasting these videos all over the net may do for America, what several prime time specials focussing on "prejudice" and pre-conceived notions of what "youth", "blacks", "immigrants", "Africans" etc.... can and do aspire to.

He blasts the whole notion of "its only a good speech" with no substance that Obama delivers.... and he does so in a few minutes.

Great stuff !

Guysanto
Site Admin

Post by Guysanto » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:35 am

More about Derrick Ashong and his band, Soulfege:

http://www.soulfege.com/
(interviews and videos)

The videos are interspersed throughout the page. I found each and every one enjoyable to watch.

Then go to http://www.myspace.com/soulfege for even more music.

Morisseau

Post by Morisseau » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:15 pm

This guy seriously moved me with his word. He sounds like a mini-Obama. Let's keep an eye on him, he is a time bomb. Believe me. Thanks Guy for sharing. Geez!!!