How do we see Beauty?

Leoneljb

How do we see Beauty?

Post by Leoneljb » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:12 am

Guy, a lot of us or a big portion of us (Haitian) didn't change a bit unfortunately.

We can go further and analyze our ways of viewing beauty for instance:
GrimEl toujou bEl.
Moun sa nwE sou konn bouda chodyE.
Men longE dyOl li.
TEt li grenn sou konn pwav

Now let's go to the African-American community:
You are a very good-looking Sister...

It is not easy to overcome this brainwashing.

Music by Bob Marley:
Don't let them fool you
Or even try to school you
We've got a mind of our own...

I remember as a little boy. I had a hard time looking at my brother's book which we all thought had a lot of ugly kids (they were Africans). One of them was, Moudaina va a l'ecole.

I remember seeing a Black Jesus for the first time in USA when I was in College... It was shocking to me at that time. Kote Jezi kapab Nwa. LE PE LetEnEl se youn gwo Blan ak oun pakEt bab????

Leonel

Leoneljb

Post by Leoneljb » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:49 am

Is beauty more Spiritual or Physical?

How do we see Beauty?

What is an epitome of Beautiful Woman or Good-Looking Man?

Leonel

Tidodo

Post by Tidodo » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:46 pm

[quote]Is beauty more Spiritual or Physical?
How do we see Beauty?
What is an epitome of Beautiful Woman or Good-Looking Man? [/quote]

Leonel,

Like you are implying, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder," particularly the eyes of the environment where the beholder lives or grew up in. I don't know what is a Good-Looking Man! I will leave that up to the ladies. But, referring to physical beauty of a woman, I found myself to be the most aesthetically confused man now. When I was in Haiti, regardless of her color, a woman of the shape and size of Marilyn Monroe, or anything close to that, would be considered beautiful to me. In other words, curves and fullness were the desired attributes. Today, after living for 23 years in the USA, regardless of her color, a woman of the sahpe and size of Whitney Houston [before she gained the weight the tabloid claimed she acquired] is also considered beautiful. Remark, I said also, as I never stopped liking the Marilyn Monroe shape. I became more democratic in my appreciation.

But, more seriously, beauty, I would venture is a product of our environment. I was told in Haiti that the aesthetic standards used in the Western World came from the Greek Canons of Beauty. I never saw it written anywhere, nor I heard somebody else repeated it on TV or in a public setting. But, it sounds a believable story. To make his point, he showed the cover page of a Jeune Afrique with a young African woman with plump lips, wide nostrils, wide forehead, etc. and asked me to carefully look at the features and I will find beauty. I decided to start by finding what was not beautiful about them and I could not find an answer. As I go to the process I found myself being mesmerizing about her beauty, the contours of her facial features, etc. It occurred to me that concepts we took for granted were nothing more than smoke!

Lately, I have been wondering if the fascination of the Western World with thin women had anything to do with how close-up pictures of models on paper are taken. I have noticed that pictures of very thin limbs of women appear much bigger on a catalog page. I presumed, for that reason, photographers had developed a liking for thin women. I wonder, putting aside health issues, if that is why the equation of thinness with beauty in the Western World. At the same time, those same people who like thinness have an obsession with big/large breasts. I am now a very confused man!!!