Chronique 148 - Djakout Mizik (Pwofite)

Serge

Chronique 148 - Djakout Mizik (Pwofite)

Post by Serge » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:42 pm

As Haiti and her people are still reeling from the devastating earthquake of January 12, 2010. Artists from all stripes have been making a special effort to regroup, to continue to create, as a way to soften the pain of having lost a relative, a friend, a spouse. And there is no better therapy for an artist than to “retreat”into his craft in order to cope with such catastrophe. Djakout Mizik's latest CD is entitled “Pwofite”. It is worth reproducing this passage from the liner notes: “May God grant all your surviving relatives, friends and all of Haiti's citizens...the courage to continue. Life is so precious and so short…An nou PWOFITE”. Thus the title of the CD. Djakout Mizik does not disappoint with its latest release, which is a fitting tribute to the memories of loved ones.

True to its tradition, Djakout's music is quite entertaining. The horn section is as solid as ever throughout the CD. The music is diversified, more so than in previous Djakout's Cds , in my opinion. Listen for example to Tune No. 1, Pwofite, played on a straight konpa beat. Tune No. 2 , Reyalite a, has a rara feel that will make you get up and dance. Tune No. 4, is played on a slower beat. The same diversity applies to the rest of the CD, which makes that every song on the CD stands by himself. This is most pleasant music to listen to.

All the songs on the CD, except for tune No. 11, Mannigèt (Kanaval 2009) contained lyrics written by keyboard player Reginald Bastien. He does a pretty good job, particularly in tune No. 9, Bwi Sapat. This song is a pretty strong criticism aimed at those leaders who promise the moon to the Haitian people, yet, always fail to deliver. They make a lot of noise (bwi sapat) , but they do not go any further. Everyone should listen carefully to those lyrics, so that hopefully, we stop voting into office those politicians who regularly fool people. While this song is my favorite in terms of the lyrics, Réginald Bastien covers other themes like love and friendship, at times, becoming quite romantic. The lyrics for Tune No. 11, which was the Carnival tune for 2009, are also not just a song. They are the result of a collaboration of the whole band and articulate a series of claims reflecting the general feeling of frustration which the Haitian people feel, even though at times, some of the background vocal is a bit out of sync with the rest of the song. But, that is Carnival and therefore, anything goes.

The music on this Cd is well put together, just that you would expect from a band like Djakout Mizik. The mixing is also pretty good and I was most gratified to see that, unlike some other CDs, the titles of the songs are written in proper kreyòl, with no grammatical or spelling mistake. I think this CD will go pretty far; the guys really surpass themselves. Djakout Mizik's fans will be more than happy with this latest work.

Help fight Haitian CD piracy; it is bad for everyone.

Serge Bellegarde for Windows on Haiti, January 2011