Chronique 110 - Magnum Band

Serge

Chronique 110 - Magnum Band

Post by Serge » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:25 pm

Chronique musicale

Already 30 years since this group burst on the Haitian musical. And it is still going as strong as ever. I am talking about the Magnum Band, skillfully directed by Maestro Dadou Pasquet, one of my favorite Haitian musicians of all times. Magnum Band's latest release, “30 ans, La Seule Différence”, shows that even if the band does not produce as much or as often as before, it has not slowed down however and most importantly, it has kept it own, unique identity, thus the well-deserved motto: La seule différence – the only difference. There are many Haitian bands, of course, but there aren't too many which have such a distinct sound and identity as the Magnum Band.

Some of the tunes were released on previous albums, but they have been re-arranged here for our most complete enjoyment. In fact, they really encompass thirty years of good solid music. You will hear quite a few of Magnum Band's biggest successes: Ashadei, Ou La La, Jehovah, La Foi and much more. I have always loved the percussive sound of Magnum's brass section. It is as solid as ever on this CD and to make things even better, featured in the line-up is famed trumpet player André Déjean. Anyone familiar with the Déjean sound will easily pick out his distinct style. Yet, this does not prevent him from blending in perfectly with the Magnum style (to my knowledge, this is the first studio recording of A. Déjean with Dadou Pasquet.) What a wonderful and powerful combination! Alongside André Déjean, are longtime sax player Paul Henegan and trombone player John Normandin who do an excellent job, a Magnum Band job. The band sounds as good as ever. Drummer Tico Pasquet provides superb balance to the group, while Laurent Cicéron, the long time bass player remains as steady as a rock. The music flows effortlessly through some very harmonic lines. What sounds simple is full of subtle phrases which enhance the melody. I just love that syncopated style that has become a distinct trait the Magnum sound.

I was most pleased to hear on this CD one of Magnum Band's earliest hits, Jehovah, with modern arrangements and a brilliant brass section. Those who read these chroniques know how much I favor a solid, full and natural sound of a brass section. In Jehovah, you will like the nice dialogue between the trumpet, the trombone and the saxophone. Other tunes like Okay, La Foi, remain a delight to listen too, even more so now that they have been re-arranged. Tèt ansam was another big hit for the band; it sounds as fresh as ever and most importantly, the lyrics remain as valid today as they were 10, 15 years ago. While you are it, pay attention to the last tune on the CD entitled “L'Amour”. The brass section and the harmony are something else, just pure joy.

As is always the case with the music of Magnum Band, the mixing is just excellent; every instrument comes out clear, and this allows the careful listener to pick up all the nuances. And believe me, there are. This is another hit for Mini Records and Fred Paul.

I can tell you with utmost confidence that you will thoroughly enjoy this CD and if you have not yet added it to your collection of Magnum Band music, you have been missing quite a bit. This CD should make a nice gift to any Haitian music lover.

Help fight Haitian CD piracy, it is bad for everyone.

Serge Bellegarde for Windows on Haiti – June 2007

Leoneljb

Post by Leoneljb » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:45 am

Serge, se pa moso gwoup non w'ap pale la'a!

Magnum Band se papa tout lOt yo, daprE mwen. Well, it's biased for one of my most favorites (Magnum, Caribbean, Djet-X, Skah Shah, Tabou and ZIN).

NEg Pasquet sa yo se met chapo ba.

Mon chE, mwen pwal vOlE kOb anba tapi, pou'm pwokire'm mEvEy sa'a!!!

Leonel

Serge

Post by Serge » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:03 am

Leonel,

Se konsa nèg apran bagay! Ki fè nou konen koulye a se anba tapi ou sere kòb ou. Ale wè, tapi sa dwe gen bèl epesè......Alatraka papa!

Serge

Leoneljb

Post by Leoneljb » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:47 pm

Mwen pi bon ke Gi. Paske misye se nan twou li mete kOb li!!!

Serge

Post by Serge » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:55 am

Sa mwen ta renmen konen , se ki pwofondè twou sa kote Guy mete lajan li. Sa dwe gen kèk jou lap fè sa....

Serge